Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @Omaha Mavericks

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    Credit to Omaha. After attending abandoned IUPUI games where shuttle bus passengers encouraged us to turn around and go to a Butler game, WIU games where asked students had no idea where the field house was, and ORU where the atmosphere was akin to an abandoned church, this place had actual crowd noise and even a few students. Didn't like to lose but the venue was nice.
    You are becoming a road warrior, but those trips are fun. Its good to get out of town for awhile. Maybe you should have gone to the Butler game seems like we did not win at IUPUI. I have never been to Omaha since leaving Columbus, but would love see the game next year. I wonder if Marshall's injury did not make him a step slower from reading the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
      I don't know if it's been addressed but the coaches need to really take a moment a discuss a last shot situation with this team. Between Deondre in the championship game last season and Jake last night, woof. We had plenty of time in both those games and we panicked and took terrible rushed 3's in both games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I dont recall, did we have any time outs left to use there? about the 2 minute mark, the team looked gassed and we have several timeouts still, think used maybe one at that point. For a team with experienced guards, you would think we could handle late game situations better. Like others said too, that Bittle had a bad game. He is the way the team goes it seems. If he plays well we win, if he struggles we lose.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        I dont recall, did we have any time outs left to use there? about the 2 minute mark, the team looked gassed and we have several timeouts still, think used maybe one at that point. For a team with experienced guards, you would think we could handle late game situations better. Like others said too, that Bittle had a bad game. He is the way the team goes it seems. If he plays well we win, if he struggles we lose.
        We used our last timeout after Omaha turned the ball over in front of the scorers table. Think there was like 12 seconds left.

Comment

These close games are hard to deal with but you have to give credit to Omaha. They won. With those injuries we are lucky to be where we are.

Comment

agree with most of the sentiment here.

Credit to Omaha. They made plays, and they hit shots. Their big guy hit 3 straight 3's for crying out loud.

Jacks played well enough to beat most teams...but not this team on this night.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
              Agreed. Baxter is a nice place and decent atmosphere. Much easier to get to than the old field house.
              Where is Baxter from Sapp Fieldhouse?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                We used our last timeout after Omaha turned the ball over in front of the scorers table. Think there was like 12 seconds left.
                And then we pass the ball back to the inbounder, who looked completely unprepared for the ball and stepped out of bounds.

How can the team come out of a timeout looking like they have no idea what we are doing? Isn't that the time to either run or draw up a play, and run it? Is this a recurring problem and how can we fix it?

The last 30 seconds played out like a 7th grade girls game. That goes for the refs, Omaha, and SDSU.

I think anybody that tries to out-offense Omaha could have a bad time.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  And then we pass the ball back to the inbounder, who looked completely unprepared for the ball and stepped out of bounds.

How can the team come out of a timeout looking like they have no idea what we are doing? Isn't that the time to either run or draw up a play, and run it? Is this a recurring problem and how can we fix it?

The last 30 seconds played out like a 7th grade girls game. That goes for the refs, Omaha, and SDSU.

The play was drawn up for Reed to take the pass, then Bittle to come in and take the handoff from Reed and go to the hoop. Bittle got inbounds, but Reed was set up too close to the out of bounds line, and Bittle had to step around him and stepped out. It was a decent play design, just poorly executed.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    The play was drawn up for Reed to take the pass, then Bittle to come in and take the handoff from Reed and go to the hoop. Bittle got inbounds, but Reed was set up too close to the out of bounds line, and Bittle had to step around him and stepped out. It was a decent play design, just poorly executed.
                    I don't think that was the play design at all. I think the ball was supposed to go to Marshall but Omaha did a good job defending him and then Bittle had to throw it into Reed.

Comment

• Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @Omaha Mavericks

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

No doubt. If they can get you to play their style of game they are in the driver's seat. Omaha will most likely go to the NCAA tournament if they somehow manage to string three games together like last night in Sioux Falls. The good thing is that they have their share of off nights.

In his pregame interview Nagy mentioned that a smart team would put most of their defensive effort into stopping Omaha's drives to the hoop; force them to take jump shots. He said, "If they hit their jumpers all you can do is tip your cap". I saw a heck of a lot of jump shots falling. Everything Omaha did was working well. If we had an average shooting night we would have lost by 15+. Yet, with a rebound here or there or a couple less unforced turnovers we still could have stolen that game.

Winning out will still get the championship. Losing one more (FW will be tough) will likely still get a top-2 seed. Learn from last night and move on.

Comment

Is anyone going to ask about getting an atlarge bid anymore? Just kidding. But seriously its probably not the worse thing in the world to lose to them now. Just Like If the women lose at USD. My only reasoning for it is because the old saying or cliche. Its hard to beat a good team 3 times in one season. If USD beats the women in Verm, Then the pressure is on them then assuming we meet up in the SF again. If they can beat us the 3rd time in SF good for them and like nagy said a tip of the cap. If we beat Omaha last night. It would be a tough to beat them a 3rd time since if the men play omaha in SF. Their style of play would be the hardest I think to beat 3 times. Could argue that with Denver but I would rather face Denver in SF then Omaha.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Omaha will make all the Summit contenders more competitive. We need the teams to get better even though we would like to waltz through the conference and play in the NCAA tournament every year. The top half of the Summit is better this year vs a couple of good teams and an also ran team. The fans should see some good games in Sioux Falls this year.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The play was drawn up for Reed to take the pass, then Bittle to come in and take the handoff from Reed and go to the hoop. No it was the other way around!! Just giving you some grief. Bittle got inbounds, but Reed was set up too close to the out of bounds line, and Bittle had to step around him and stepped out. It was a decent play design, just poorly executed.
                            How in the world did you figure this out? You must have been sitting on the bench and in the huddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              How in the world did you figure this out? You must have been sitting on the bench and in the huddle.
                              Ha, after mango4 mentioned that they were trying to get it to Marshall, I went back and watched it, and it does look like they tried to get it to Marshall, but Hollins did a good job of denying the ball. It looked like a designed play from that point on though, but it must have been a 2nd option. More evidence of how big of an impact Hollins made... He was the one that got the block on Marshall's shot right before the BS offensive foul call on Parks. Would have been fun to see that game go into OT.

Comment

Maybe so. After watching again, to me it looked like Bittle was pretty surprised to get the ball back.

Regardless, we didn't handle the last minute very well.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X