Louisville Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisville Basketball

I'm sure many of you have heard about the scandal at Louisville involving recruits to their previous men's basketball teams that led to a self imposed ban of post season play this year. This shows us a darker side and how far big time programs are willing to go to compete. If you have not seen the interview of the 2 players that transferred into the program THIS year with the dream of playing in the big dance you need to look it up! These players got a raw deal and were hung out to dry by their school and handled themselves with complete class. Turning a negative into a positive. Everybody could learn by listening to these young men. Hats off to them.

Re: Louisville Basketball

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    I'm sure many of you have heard about the scandal at Louisville involving recruits to their previous men's basketball teams that led to a self imposed ban of post season play this year. This shows us a darker side and how far big time programs are willing to go to compete. If you have not seen the interview of the 2 players that transferred into the program THIS year with the dream of playing in the big dance you need to look it up! These players got a raw deal and were hung out to dry by their school and handled themselves with complete class. Turning a negative into a positive. Everybody could learn by listening to these young men. Hats off to them.
    Wasn't it about a sex scandal? Hardly classy if they were involved,but, to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Wasn't it about a sex scandal? Hardly classy if they were involved,but, to each his own.
      Early stories indicate that motorboating evolved into more extended action and that some indication might involve something called blow. Of course only one lowly member of the coaching staff had any knowledge or participation of these events. Who needs FCOA when this is in the budget?
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Patino was totally surprised with the suspension of post season play so a news article stated. He is lying and he knew all about everything going on here. They should not after honor his contract after they dismiss him.

Comment

You completely missed my point....

Comment

Is this where Pitino plays the plausable deniability card? Well he sure has played it a lot to this point but to maybe say what others did was wrong but if I didn't know about it if they can't prove he knew about it, he will say he shouldn't be held responsible for actions of others. Hoping that's enough to keep the ncaa from really throwing the hammer down.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

You completely missed my point....
              Correct me if I'm wrong,but I took your post to mean you thought two players,who may or may not have been involved in a sex scandal,hence my clarification of "if they were involved" comes from,got a raw deal by their school for taking them out of any post season tournaments because of the sex scandal ,and how classy they were in response to the actions taken by the school and turning a negative into a positive ......?Guess I did miss your point then,still don't know what your point is, other than you have an obvious admiration for how well they aired their disapproval of their schools actions.....but not their own I assume....I'll have to watch the interview myself to draw any conclusions as to how classy these gentlemen are or are not.Do you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Is this where Pitino plays the plausable deniability card? Well he sure has played it a lot to this point but to maybe say what others did was wrong but if I didn't know about it if they can't prove he knew about it, he will say he shouldn't be held responsible for actions of others. Hoping that's enough to keep the ncaa from really throwing the hammer down.
                Pitino knew exactly what was going on! The NCAA will throw the hammer down as they should! But this is standard procedure where the wrong people are being penalized.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong,but I took your post to mean you thought two players,who may or may not have been involved in a sex scandal,hence my clarification of "if they were involved" comes from,got a raw deal by their school for taking them out of any post season tournaments because of the sex scandal ,and how classy they were in response to the actions taken by the school and turning a negative into a positive ......?Guess I did miss your point then,still don't know what your point is, other than you have an obvious admiration for how well they aired their disapproval of their schools actions.....but not their own I assume....I'll have to watch the interview myself to draw any conclusions as to how classy these gentlemen are or are not.Do you have a link?
                  these 2 young men were not even on campus at the time of this scandal! They are graduate transfers from mid major programs that had multiple offers but chose UL with the hopes of making it to the NCAA tourney in their final year. Search Louisville basketball and their interview will be there.

Comment

these 2 young men were not even on campus at the time of this scandal! They are graduate transfers from mid major programs that had multiple offers but chose UL with the hopes of making it to the NCAA tourney in their final year. Search Louisville basketball and their interview will be there.
                    OK....didn't know it wasn't settled yet,guess i'll reserve judgement until I've read up on it a little more,although I'm really not that interested in sex scandal problems other institutions are having,but sorry,I probably did take your post wrong.

Comment

Pitino knew exactly what was going on! The NCAA will throw the hammer down as they should! But this is standard procedure where the wrong people are being penalized.

hush money...that's why these guys cost so much ,they've got all these added expenditures to attend to....LOL....OOPS,better hush up myself,or I'll be accused of being cold and insensitive to these victims of those cruel harsh people who expect everyone to abide by the rules.I'll wait like everyone else as they sift through this mess .
                      It's amazing to me how this stuff goes on,yet everyone involved portrays themselves as victims....same ole,same ole

I probably shouldn't be commenting at all as little as I know about the situation,but did this occur over a year ago? Are these still just allegations of wrong doing at this point?When do they stop catering to these athletes every whim,how foolish in the first place. I have no sympathy for those that finally get caught who've created their own problems.

The wheels of justice move too slowly for me,I get too disinterested after awhile,maybe that's the purpose of drawing out something an inordinate length of time, IDK. Seems like Institutions of higher learning might need more oversight concerning the doings of their coaches they hire,but yea,they're supposedly already doing this,some better than others i guess. Does everyone really like to hear everyone else's dirty little secrets? Guess so, that's why all the fascination with scandals.Enough said.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-07-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

This came out a while ago and the reason it came out was because one of the girls that were hired by someone involved with the Louisville basketball decided to write a book about it. Once it was published everything came out and Pitino was in instant denial at that point.

Comment

Its self imposed, which to me means its pretty bad.

You catch your 17 year old child doing something they shouldn't have been, but you don't know the whole story, you say hey I'm going to figure this out. They tell you they are grounding themselves for 3 months, turn in their phone, laptop and video gaming counsel and impose a 9pm bed time. You say to yourself, well it must have been pretty darn bad.

I get the whole argument the players are the ones who get hurt the most, well yeah, but it comes with the game. If they believe its bad enough to put a post season ban on themselves (while being quite successful), then it must be pretty bad.

Comment

I don't agree with the current players being punished but it is the system we've got right now. Part of the recruiting process for athletes is to do your research as much you can and hope you are committing to a clean program. So something like this doesn't affect your career there.

Pitino's suggestion on levying heavy fines on the coach (50% of salary) and school ($10 million dollars) would help but that is not the answer.

The answer is suspending the coaches who were at the helm when the violations occurred - whether they knew or not. That's part of being in charge. Hiring people that you can trust won't cheat. If you make a mistake, it falls on you. No different than if the players you recruit don't perform, it's on you and you have to be held accountable for it.

Calipari is one who shouldn't be coaching anymore. Many of the wins and titles he won at UMass and Memphis have since been vacated because of violations while he was there. But the rules say he can still coach and that simply isn't right. He flat out cheats and has gotten caught twice but yet the NCAA still allows him to coach. Until this is fixed, cheaters will continue to cheat.

Source (amoung many): http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...calipari_N.htm

Comment

IMO, the UNC scandal should be a much bigger story. 18 years, thousands of student athletes taking fake classes to stay eligible, multiple national championships. Nothing will happen to North Carolina, but OMG Louisville! No post-season for you!

...five members of the championship team, including four key players, had relied heavily on the paper classes: 52 enrollments during their time at UNC. The Wainstein documents, however, have more detail and show a heavy concentration during the spring semester of 2005, when the team was driving toward a national title.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...e10122626.html

In June, UNC made public the notice of allegations the NCAA sent it; the NCAA is treating the case not as academic fraud but rather impermissible benefits. The apparent good news for the men's basketball program: Neither Williams or any member of his staff was accused of committing any NCAA violations. But it remains unclear what potential sanctions and/or punishment the program may face, considering there were 167 enrollments in the suspect classes during Williams' tenure.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...aige/75586956/

Roy Williams knew nothing!
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X