old sioux falls arena...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: old sioux falls arena...

I think its interesting to see where a schools numbers change year from year. Seems sdsu has a long way to go to get back to the numbers they use to have IIRC.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think a better comparison would be to look at SDSU's double headers attendance (this upcoming weekend) when comparing to Augie double headers. I know alot of SDSU fans who still like the double header format.

Comment

Having Wednesday/Thursday week-night games hurt attendance in a couple of ways. People that drive a distance may not do so when they have to be at work bright and early the next morning. And even local families with younger kids may not want to screw up sleep schedules when they have to get up early for school/daycare the next day. While Friday night games provide some problems of their own, they would be more well-attended than the mid-week night games.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Having Wednesday/Thursday week-night games hurt attendance in a couple of ways. People that drive a distance may not do so when they have to be at work bright and early the next morning. And even local families with younger kids may not want to screw up sleep schedules when they have to get up early for school/daycare the next day. While Friday night games provide some problems of their own, they would be more well-attended than the mid-week night games.
          I will say that I definitely don't envy the Summit League's irregular scheduling. Irregular compared to the Friday/Saturday every weekend scheduling of the NSIC, I mean. Maybe unpredictable is a better word. It would get kind of annoying, especially as a non-Brookings fan.

For Augie, I know the back-to-back nights is hard on the teams and coaches themselves because of the physical tiredness of playing two days in a row, travel challenges (leaving St. Cloud in winter travel conditions at 10:30 PM on Friday and driving 2.5 - 3 hours to Bemidji, arriving at the hotel and getting to bed around 1:30 or 2 AM and then playing at 6 PM that same day), not having a ton of time to game prep for the Saturday night game, etc. But, as a fan, I really enjoy the consistency of a Friday/Saturday league. Makes it easy to know when the Vikes will be playing, and always being on the weekend helps prevent those mid-week lower attendance issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            I will say that I definitely don't envy the Summit League's irregular scheduling. Irregular compared to the Friday/Saturday every weekend scheduling of the NSIC, I mean. Maybe unpredictable is a better word. It would get kind of annoying, especially as a non-Brookings fan.

For Augie, I know the back-to-back nights is hard on the teams and coaches themselves because of the physical tiredness of playing two days in a row, travel challenges (leaving St. Cloud in winter travel conditions at 10:30 PM on Friday and driving 2.5 - 3 hours to Bemidji, arriving at the hotel and getting to bed around 1:30 or 2 AM and then playing at 6 PM that same day), not having a ton of time to game prep for the Saturday night game, etc. But, as a fan, I really enjoy the consistency of a Friday/Saturday league. Makes it easy to know when the Vikes will be playing, and always being on the weekend helps prevent those mid-week lower attendance issues.
            the NCC use to do that also. It was great I thought and our attendance really was good. with games different nights and times is hard to follow all the time as much as I would like. Wish they had more games on TV since they seems to games either wesnesday or thursday and some times saturday or sunday. between the mens and womens games that allows for a lot to be on TV. Really like the midco sports net coverage, but I am greedy and would like more, or almost every home game atleast.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              the NCC use to do that also. It was great I thought and our attendance really was good. with games different nights and times is hard to follow all the time as much as I would like. Wish they had more games on TV since they seems to games either wesnesday or thursday and some times saturday or sunday. between the mens and womens games that allows for a lot to be on TV. Really like the midco sports net coverage, but I am greedy and would like more, or almost every home game atleast.
              Every (or nearly all) home game can be watched on the Jackrabbit Sports Network online.

Comment

I posted this in the wrong thread so am reposting here now.

I think too much is made of Brookings and their under-population. If Territorial Representative Scobey had a negative attitude back in 1880 something, there would not have been an SDSU and this board would not exist, because young Sioux Falls was determined to get the state or territorial prison. Look what is doing for them today and look what SDSU is doing for Brookings. If Scobey had not cared maybe SDSU would be located in the smelly stockyards of John Morrell or maybe up on the hill where the State Prison stands, and maybe it would be FBS? I don't know. I do know Brookings is not fighting SDSU on anything. We do get a great deal of fan support from places other than Brookings County.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I posted this in the wrong thread so am reposting here now.

I think too much is made of Brookings and their under-population. If Territorial Representative Scobey had a negative attitude back in 1880 something, there would not have been an SDSU and this board would not exist, because young Sioux Falls was determined to get the state or territorial prison. Look what is doing for them today and look what SDSU is doing for Brookings. If Scobey had not cared maybe SDSU would be located in the smelly stockyards of John Morrell or maybe up on the hill where the State Prison stands, and maybe it would be FBS? I don't know. I do know Brookings is not fighting SDSU on anything. We do get a great deal of fan support from places other than Brookings County.

I don't disagree. It's obvious that if SDSU had been in SF rather than Brookings, some trends in fan engagement and attendance would be obviously different. But I am glad that SDSU is where it is.

SDSU and USD both do not have a large, local metro to draw support from. There are just under 9000 living SDSU alumni in Minnehaha County, and another 1000+ in Coddington County. Brookings County has approx. 3500. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of who is buying tickets on Saturdays in the Fall and where they are from, especially on non Hobo Day/NDSU/USD football weekends.

Comment

Working...
                  X