Coach Nielsen seeking multi year contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Nielsen seeking multi year contract

Did anyone else read this? Coach Nielsen still hasn't signed a contract yet. USD trying to get the one year contract suspended.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...oach/79428976/

Re: Coach Nielsen seeking multi year contract

Wow, what a joke. Regents make all kinds of exceptions for USD. And the terms of the contract won't be known until the Regents make a special one time exception. Once they open this floodgate, there will be no going back.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Wow, what a joke. Regents make all kinds of exceptions for USD. And the terms of the contract won't be known until the Regents make a special one time exception. Once they open this floodgate, there will be no going back.
      Remove the "rivalry hate" for a brief moment. Don't you think it's time your administrators joined ours in getting this archaic policy put to bed? It will help you every bit as much as USD.

Comment

Our coaches have relativity little turnover (major sports) we have discussed this and many believe the one year deal is good for all parties.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          Our coaches have relativity little turnover (major sports) we have discussed this and many believe the one year deal is good for all parties.

For the many that believe it that's good. But ask yourself one question. How many Division athletic programs have one year contracts? You can say anything you want, but your coaches, as well as our coaches have verbal guaranties of certain periods of time subject to behavior unbecoming to each respective university.

Both our schools will someday pay the price of such small thinking if it isn't changed.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            Remove the "rivalry hate" for a brief moment. Don't you think it's time your administrators joined ours in getting this archaic policy put to bed? It will help you every bit as much as USD.
            Although I might disagree with multi-year contracts, I would be very open to the Regents discussing this in 6 months. However, the time to change a policy isn't after one of your employees gives you the middle finger and offers a contract they aren't allowed to offer. That is the time to fire the employee.

If the Regents had any spine (they don't) they would ask for Herbster's immediate resignation. HE BROKE A REGENTS POLICY, and is going to be rewarded for it. Are you OK with that????? If Nielson is the one driving this, the contract on the table should be pulled.

Frankly, this situation is absolutely disgusting. If SDSU pulled this crap, I would never attend another Jackrabbit event. I have voiced displeasure about a lot of things on this forum, but I don't think I have ever been this upset. And it has very little or nothing to do with rivalry hate.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

For the many that believe it that's good. But ask yourself one question. How many Division athletic programs have one year contracts? You can say anything you want, but your coaches, as well as our coaches have verbal guaranties of certain periods of time subject to behavior unbecoming to each respective university.

Both our schools will someday pay the price of such small thinking if it isn't changed.
              Since you brought up behavior unbecoming the university, how would ignoring Regents policy rank in that equation?

If the policy needs to be changed, fine. But any state employee that knowingly goes against policy needs to face consequences, not be rewarded.

Herbster should be fired. I don't think I've said anything detrimental about him prior to this, IIRC I've been pretty complimentary of him.

Comment

From the BOR by laws:

Section 5.5.1 Final Action on Board Policy. Any proposed Board policy adoptions and revisions (including by-laws) may not be finally passed until they have official action at two separate Board of Regents’ meetings, absent an emergency as determined by majority vote of the Board.

Judging from the executive director's comments, the BOR is deciding this at FRIDAY's MEETING. I'm no lawyer, but it would seem the BOR is violating its own bylaws? I don't know about everyone else, but I get real warm and fuzzy when government agencies don't follow their own fricking rules.

Herbster has broken BOR policy and is going to be rewarded for it. But its OK, because all the other DI cool kids are doing it.

Comment

Couple questions:
                  1. Is this exception specific to Nielsen's request, or is there a brief window where other state employees could sign multi-year contracts.
                  B. How much state funding is going toward the $255,000 salary. My memory is fuzzy, but seems like when SDSU was proposing moving to DI the Regents put limitations in place on state money that could go toward coaches salaries and other athletic related expenses.
                  4. How do current and former regents and anyone at USD sleep at night knowing they fought so hard to block SDSU's move yet have then acted to help USD catch up (to no avail mind you)?
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

These would be good questions for the argus and kelo to find the answer to.

Comment

How many coaches have been paid for services not rendered after they have to move on when they are fired for not doing their job well enough?
                      Then,on top of that,you have stupid AD's (they usually get let go too)that renew multi length contracts for big bucks,and fire them the next year.Why waste money like that when it can do a lot of good for the program,that's the point isn't it after all,advancing the program?

We are fortunate enough to have,in my biased opinion,some of the best coaches in their respective sports.They aren't rich,but people define rich in different ways. Our system is based on good ole trust in one another, and it works, as long as that trust is maintained which it has been ,and not violated.The less lawyers get involved in anything, the better.Wish we could pay them more,and we try, in my opinion,to pay as much as we possibly can,but are limited because,let's face it,we are a poor state,that much has been documented many times.

We do have rich employers in the state however,taking advantage of a cheap workforce delegated to the region.Maybe they can find a little tax relief through donating to a good cause,like their favorite colleges athletic programs.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-28-2016, 07:30 AM.

Comment

SF_Rabbit, I think you are overrating a little bit...or a lot.

Comment

Anyone who believes this is a one-time exception is a fool. All an athletic director needs to do if they want to offer a multi-year contract is negotiate their school into a position of self destruct.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                            Couple questions:
                            1. Is this exception specific to Nielsen's request, or is there a brief window where other state employees could sign multi-year contracts.
                            From the article it sounds like this is only for Nielsen's request:

"But Nielson is seeking a long-term commitment, and current policy only allows one-year contracts for employees. On Friday, the board will consider approving a one-time suspension of its policy, the board’s executive director Michael Rush said. Only after that, — and the regents’ approval of Nielson’s contract — will the length of it be known."

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
                              SF_Rabbit, I think you are overrating a little bit...or a lot.
                              The board of regents is violating their own bylaws to put a contract in place that violates a long-standing policy. That is the situation as I see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X