Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Season Talk: Who are YOUR 5 greatest Jackrabbits of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Off-Season Talk: Who are YOUR 5 greatest Jackrabbits of all time?

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
    Vinateiri was a better punter than place kicker in college. Fact is he was replaced as a place kicker junior year for a D lineman wearing a square toe shoe. As a Jackrabbit he was good, not great. As a pro arguably the best place kicker on NFL history. That's why he's brought notoriety to SDSU. His records at SDSU have been broken a few times. His records were set when our offense was clicking in high gear, which has obviously only continued to crank up.

However, I respect everyone's opinion and its fun to see who gets mentioned. Sad that no tight ends are in anyone's top 5 :-)
    This a very honest opinion to which I agree. I suppose I saw nearly every home game during Vantateri's career at SDSU. He was as CatchEmAll states a good player but a great player, but the fact he got a few breaks and made the best of them is the reason we are still seeing him play on Sundays in the NFL. I recall one game in particular where we lost to Mankato and a win could have occurred if Adam had made this one FG. All our guys who have played NFL had worked their tails to get there and to stay there. Those fall camps can be brutal to rookies and wannabees.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I see where you are coming from. My main point, many of the metrics that would disqualify Vinateiri from lists also disqualify Langer. The plight of the lonesome kicker.
      Ah yes, the lonely millionaire kicker. Also, my knowledge of Langer's SDSU days is limited so I can't speak to that. I'll trust your insights. Vinny however, played along side him for four years, so that I can attest to.

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      Why, were you a TE? ��
      Top 5 TE if you ask the right people
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        Ah yes, the lonely millionaire kicker. Also, my knowledge of Langer's SDSU days is limited so I can't speak to that. I'll trust your insights. Vinny however, played along side him for four years, so that I can attest to.

Top 5 TE if you ask the right people
        Lonely? I don't ever remember Adam being alone. Playa!
        As far as this thread goes, he would have been an all American punter with one more attempt. As a fg kicker, he had a strong leg, but I remember him being above average but not great.
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Wayne Rasmussen would have to be in the Top 5, I'd think. His write-up in the SD Sports Hall of Fame says, in part:
          "In football at SDSU, Rasmussen played both ways and set seven school records, including season marks for most receptions (29) and most passes intercepted (seven). He led the NCC in receiving in 1962 and was the NCC's most valuable back in `63. SDSU was 24-5-1 in Rasmussen's three years at SDSU, and the Jackrabbits won the NCC title all three years." ... He went on to play for the Detroit Lions for 12 years.
          This space for lease.

Comment

A strong argument can be made for Lynn Boden, too. Coming out of SDSU, he was 13th pick in the first round of the 1975 NFL draft. He played the o-line for five years for the Lions and Bears.
            This space for lease.

Comment

I didn't see them all play, but based on their records and reputations, here's my Top 5:
              Langer
              Rasmussen
              Timmerman
              Retzlaff
              Zenner
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                If Langer isn't on your top 5 list I'm pretty sure the list doesn't hold much water. Even if you've never seen him play an NFL HOFer is in the SDSU top 5.

It's tough though because many many greats from years past don't get recognition because the "newer" fans never saw them play.
                The Post Title DOES say "YOUR"...and my criteria, is I had to see them play. Obviously he belongs in the top 5, just based on being an NFL Hall of Famer.
                -I choose to vote for people I saw play, because that's the only possible way I could do so, with any degree of fairness. You may use your own criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  I didn't see them all play, but based on their records and reputations, here's my Top 5:
                  Langer
                  Rasmussen
                  Timmerman
                  Retzlaff
                  Zenner
                  I was in the Navy when Langer played but he seemed to be one of those guys on the line who never racked up stats but got key blocks here and there. Another one I missed was Lynn Boden who went in the first round to Detroit of the NFL. He was injured quite a bit and ended with the Chicago Bears maybe 4 years later.
                  Otherwise good choices.

Comment

I agree with i got a fever

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                      I think folks are pushing Ranek aside too much. Zenner had three, 2,000 yard seasons and still couldn't catch Ranek. Zenner got to play in 6 playoff games to Ranek's 0, and couldn't catch him. Ranek became the career rushing leader in the middle of his Sophomore season. I know the whole D1 vs. D2 argument, but I think we would all agree Ranek would of been just as effective in the D1 era. Just some things to remember on Ranek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I'll respectfully disagree, Ranek would have been a good back in the D1 era. Now Zenner was an All American in the top conference regarded as being amongst the best for staunch D. Heck if he played in the Big Sky he'd of had three 3K seasons. The argument of three 2k seasons is like saying Zenner has inflated stats because of his 99, 91 and 87 yard runs. Ranek is the career leader in carries, hence he had more chances than ZZ. Those 6 extra games didn't help ZZ there. Ranek's lowest season yardage was 893. Zenner was at 470 as a redshirt FR, Kool led that year with 534. I'd have to believe if Zenner had been the starter that year he'd of had around 800-900 yds minimum. I understand it's somewhat far fetched to assume this but that's what forums are for, asinine opinions. In the end if given the option of the 2 to start a MVFC football game Zenner gets the nod 100% of the time.

It'd also be interesting to compare receiving and return stats. I don't remember how Ranek was at receiving and I don't think he handled return duties often if at all.

Comment

[QUOTE=i_got_a_fever;289388]I'm simply saying when it comes to Top 5 Football Jacks, IMO both have to be on the list. Ranek was injured the season he had 893 yards. If he's healthy Zenner never comes close. I do disagree with you saying the playoff games don't matter. Zenner had 1,064 yards in the 6 playoff games. Without them he's definitely not close.

I see your point on Ranek being the top 5. Where we differ is your belief that Ranek would have had comparable production to ZZ. Another point is if ZZ is getting an advantage of the playoffs then number of carries needs to be factored too. I don't know how many ZZ ended with, I just know Ranek had more carries. If it was 3 more carries then ZZ wouldn't have been much closer to him. Now if we say 25-40 more I think we can say ZZ would have been close if not more. You may prefer to base it on games played but I'll base it on carries.

Saying Ranek's injury impacted his totals I'll agree. Would you agree that the Kool experiment impacted ZZ's total stats?

in the end 2 of the best backs to play in their respective divisions. A good debate to have, we are fortunate enough to have been witness to each of their incredible careers.

Comment

What FBS teams did SDSU play when Ranek was there? Or even FCS. Point is that I'm guessing the level of competition has changed drastically.

Comment

[QUOTE=i_got_a_fever;289465]
                            Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

Yards

Ranek 6,744
                            Zenner 6,548

Attempts

Ranek 1,131
                            Zenner 1,095

Yards per Attempt

Ranek 5.96
                            Zenner 5.97

Yards per Game

Ranek (44 games) 153
                            Zenner (52 games) 126

Attempts per Game

Ranek (44 games) 25
                            Zenner (52 games) 21

Both are outstanding and I'm not trying to downplay Zenner. I'm just trying to give Ranek the respect he deserves.
                            Great stats, thanks! I was going to try and find something like that today. I may as I'm still interested in receiving and return stats. Not to find anything against Ranek, more curious than anything.

Ranek definitely deserves respect. I thought he was an incredible player. My argument isn't necessarily to take anything away from him. My point is that you in previous posts have alluded to the fact that he and ZZ are on an even playing level. That's where I disagree, I think Ranek would have been a good back in D1(1100-1300yds/season, maybe). I'm thinking Ranek would have been very similar to what Minnett produced. ZZ was on a whole other level, the likes of which I hope we see again but I doubt it. Again very fortunate to have had some great RB's at State.

I'm sure a thread has been posted before but it'd be fun to do a position top 5.
                            Last edited by Jackedforlife; 01-30-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jackedforlife;289480]
                              Originally posted by i_got_a_fever

Great stats, thanks! I was going to try and find something like that today. I may as I'm still interested in receiving and return stats. Not to find anything against Ranek, more curious than anything.

Ranek definitely deserves respect. I thought he was an incredible player. My argument isn't necessarily to take anything away from him. My point is that you in previous posts have alluded to the fact that he and ZZ are on an even playing level. That's where I disagree, I think Ranek would have been a good back in D1(1100-1300yds/season, maybe). I'm thinking Ranek would have been very similar to what Minnett produced. ZZ was on a whole other level, the likes of which I hope we see again but I doubt it. Again very fortunate to have had some great RB's at State.

I'm sure a thread has been posted before but it'd be fun to do a position top 5.
                              m

100% agree
                              Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Greatest while at State:

Wayne Rasmussen
                                Josh Ranek
                                Zenner
                                Jake Wieneke (yes, already)
                                Doug Miller

Greatest after move to NFL: (this is easier to figure out based on what they accomplished at that high level)

Jim Langer
                                Adam Vinatieri
                                Pete Retzlaff
                                Adam Timmerman
                                Wayne Rasmussen

Comment

Working...
                                X