Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post
    Ian's a much better post defender than Mike. Mike might move his feet better on out on the floor but honestly, he doesn't do much on the D end.
    Guess I would disagree but I dont see every game. Seems like our Post Defense isnt a weakness as much as it might have seemed after losing Larson, but Ian doesnt move as well, keep in postion or hedge out on screen or have the range mike has. Atleast thats how it appears to me. Doesnt seem like teams are trying to exploit either on the defensive end which means they are probably both doing a decent job.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I was just going to put that out there as well. Critiquing these two probably seems like we are picking on them.
      Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

I was just going to put that out there as well. Critiquing these two probably seems like we are picking on them.
        For sure. Don't want it to come across that way. I think defensively the team as a whole is pretty solid.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

The two big guys are quite similar in a way. they both have a good 3 point shot. Daum has taken more outside shots(17-40) and he averages 42.5%. As the guy next to me at the games reminds me that Thiesen is the best 3 point shooter on the team with 11-18 for 61%. They both shoot over 50% from the field and they rebound well. It is also great when both of them are on the floor which is what could happen next year more frequently. Daum is a scorer and ball handler more than Thiesen. I also agree with GCJ that Thiesen is probably a better post defender. They both bring good things to the table and I wait for the games that both are in the game together as a 4-5 punch.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Serious question here: Has Theisen had a game this year where he didn't have two fouls in the first half?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Serious question here: Has Theisen had a game this year where he didn't have two fouls in the first half?
              Yes. The first game with Denver he did not have a foul at all in the first half. I did not look for a second game.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Strangely enough the second game against Denver just this past Sat. He finished with 4 but only 1 in the first half. He just needs to keep his hands off people and hold his position on picks.

Comment

Strangely enough the second game against Denver just this past Sat. He finished with 4 but only 1 in the first half. He just needs to keep his hands off people and hold his position on picks.
                  And get in better position during defensive rebounds. He has gotten quite a few fouls called on him because of bad positioning.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    Yes. The first game with Denver he did not have a foul at all in the first half. I did not look for a second game.

Thanks guys. It seems like he has had two fouls almost every game in the first half. He has to learn how to now do that or it's going to cost us. It's not like he's playing elite posts night in and night out either.

Comment

Thanks guys. It seems like he has had two fouls almost every game in the first half. He has to learn how to now do that or it's going to cost us. It's not like he's playing elite posts night in and night out either.
                      Recently, he seems to be capable of getting the first 2 fouls in less than 5 minutes. He might be like some hunting dogs that need to run a mile before they get to the field to hunt.

Comment

I will give him a pass on the Omaha game and the USD game given White is very aggressive and the USD game, well everything was a foul. Games like NDSU and Oral Roberts really stick out. That being said, I'm sure he will fix it.

Comment

Good question. Way to much time spent riding the pine. If we left him in the game would be gone by half time?

Comment

Putting way too much emphasis on how quick Ian is picking up fouls. Remember at least one of the fouls is always a moving screen, but that's subjective for example, is the guard allowing him to set the screen and remain stationary or is the guard taking off before the screen is set leaving Ian to set the screen while still moving? Although Ian is picking up the foul is it really his fault?

Comment

Originally posted by bulldogs53 View Post
                              Putting way too much emphasis on how quick Ian is picking up fouls. Remember at least one of the fouls is always a moving screen, but that's subjective for example, is the guard allowing him to set the screen and remain stationary or is the guard taking off before the screen is set leaving Ian to set the screen while still moving? Although Ian is picking up the foul is it really his fault?
                              Good topic. In our motion offense our bigs are exposed a lot to moving picks. To bulldogs point, if you watch closely there many times the screener gets "left out to dry" by the guard who doesn't use the ball screen. I've often questioned the notion of all those ball picks given how poor we are at hitting the roller or even the "pick and pop".

Comment

Good topic. In our motion offense our bigs are exposed a lot to moving picks. To bulldogs point, if you watch closely there many times the screener gets "left out to dry" by the guard who doesn't use the ball screen. I've often questioned the notion of all those ball picks given how poor we are at hitting the roller or even the "pick and pop".
                                Oakland was the master of the illegal screen that was never called. Should ask kampe was the secret to it is. Ian also seems to get one out of position on a rebound.

Comment

Working...
                                X