Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Recency bias alert, but I don't understand how he can be anywhere outside of the top 2.
    I agree. Top 2 for sure, likely to lock up #1 by the end of his career here.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      I always say Top 5 because there may have been some players that were great, but I just never had the chance to see them play. In my time watching the Jackrabbits, he is #1. Nate was talented, but Daum's ability to shoot the ball puts him over the top.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        I always say Top 5 because there may have been some players that were great, but I just never had the chance to see them play. In my time watching the Jackrabbits, he is #1. Nate was talented, but Daum's ability to shoot the ball puts him over the top.
        Most of the "greats" at SDSU were primarily shooters, I think. Mark Tetzlaff being a prominent exception.

Mike Daum would eat a 22-year-old Mark Tetzlaff's lunch and steal his dinner too, if they'd squared off against one another either one-on-one or in a team setting, IMHO. (And I was at the infamous 1985 D-II championship game vs. Jacksonville State where Tom McDonald was shoved out of bounds and it was called a turnover--with SDSU up . . . (um. . . by 1 I think with less than a minute left in the game) . . . so I've been around a while. Not as long as Nidaros mind you, but a while.)
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          I'd say he's already better than Nate as a player, but Nate was more important to the program, if that makes any sense. Basketball at SDSU was in a dark place. Students didn't care. Nate brought students and everyone else back. Of course his time overlapped with my time at SDSU, and I have a t-shirt with his face on it, so maybe I'm biased.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I'd say he's already better than Nate as a player, but Nate was more important to the program, if that makes any sense. Basketball at SDSU was in a dark place. Students didn't care. Nate brought students and everyone else back. Of course his time overlapped with my time at SDSU, and I have a t-shirt with his face on it, so maybe I'm biased.
            I know exactly what you are saying. I agree Nate was pretty important. He was the face of SDSU for their first two NCAA tourney runs

Another guy who was really important in that era was Griffin Callahan. I'm not sure we beat Western in that first Summit final without him. He was the guy who played with an edge and gave that team toughness.

I also like to think Garret Callahan and Kai Williams were pretty important too. They started the climb from the hole we dug during the transition.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I know exactly what you are saying. I agree Nate was pretty important. He was the face of SDSU for their first two NCAA tourney runs

Another guy who was really important in that era was Griffin Callahan. I'm not sure we beat Western in that first Summit final without him. He was the guy who played with an edge and gave that team toughness.

I also like to think Garret Callahan and Kai Williams were pretty important too. They started the climb from the hole we dug during the transition.
              Can not disagree with a thing you said.

Part of why I like Tevin King's game so very much especially this season is that he's basically turned into a more athletic Callahan-type player (seems to have combined the toughness of Griffin and the offense of Garrett).

And Kai Williams was a really good (borderline great) player on some otherwise truly awful Jackrabbit teams. And he had really neat parents!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Most of the "greats" at SDSU were primarily shooters, I think. Mark Tetzlaff being a prominent exception.

Mike Daum would eat a 22-year-old Mark Tetzlaff's lunch and steal his dinner too, if they'd squared off against one another either one-on-one or in a team setting, IMHO. (And I was at the infamous 1985 D-II championship game vs. Jacksonville State where Tom McDonald was shoved out of bounds and it was called a turnover--with SDSU up . . . (um. . . by 1 I think with less than a minute left in the game) . . . so I've been around a while. Not as long as Nidaros mind you, but a while.)
                I was just a youngster running around Frost at that time. However, to compare them you have to look at their contemporary group at the time. Mark held the scoring lead for 30 years, and I would guess he did it with a few less games. I still say Mark (they should have been D II champs, like you said), and then Nate, then Mike. The latter two are a toss up. Now a year from now it could change.

Comment

That's where this comparability argument proves nothing. The game over the years has gotten so much better and so have the individual skills of players. Don Jacobsen did not have his mother coaching him like Mike Daum did. Same with Mrs. Tetzlaff, who no doubt watched a bunch of thrillers but knew more about making cakes than coaching basketball. To date, Mike Daum is the best in SDSU history.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    That's where this comparability argument proves nothing. The game over the years has gotten so much better and so have the individual skills of players. Don Jacobsen did not have his mother coaching him like Mike Daum did. Same with Mrs. Tetzlaff, who no doubt watched a bunch of thrillers but knew more about making cakes than coaching basketball. To date, Mike Daum is the best in SDSU history.
                    But aren't we talking about the best players in SDSU history? Which to me means what they were able to do for SDSU basketball at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                      But aren't we talking about the best players in SDSU history? Which to me means what they were able to do for SDSU basketball at the time?
                      Well, Daum's only a junior. Two years left for him to lead SDSU on that glorious back-to-back Sweet 16 run.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Well, Daum's only a junior. Two years left for him to lead SDSU on that glorious back-to-back Sweet 16 run.
                        And WHEN he comes back next year and takes us to the round of 32, or sweet 16. He becomes the greatest player in SDSU history. In my book!

Comment

How come the Callahan brothers are mentioned and compared in the prior posts? They are history are they not? They were very good for their time, but do not belong on the same court as the current squad. Griffin was interesting kid and no doubt a very fine citizen today wherever he is. As far what they were able to do, Don Jacobsen led us to a third place finish in 1961 and scared the hell out of a Prairie View A&M team that including NBA Zelmo Beatty, at the regional held in the BARN. I think Jacobsen also got a NBA tryout. He done is share now he is 2 years older than I am and a retired Thrivant Insurance agent. No way could he play today. His time came and went. Also Jacobsen played for Lake Norden High that was always blocked from the State B tourney by Jim Marking coached Hayti Redbird teams that included CFL great Garney Henley.

Comment

How come the Callahan brothers are mentioned and compared in the prior posts? They are history are they not? They were very good for their time, but do not belong on the same court as the current squad. Griffin was interesting kid and no doubt a very fine citizen today wherever he is. As far was what they were able to do Don Jacobsen led us to a third place finish in 1961 and scared the hell out of a Prairie View A&M team that including NBA Zelmo Beatty, at the regional held in the BARN. I think he also got a NBA tryout. He done is share now he is 2 years older than I am and a retired Thrivant Insurance agent. No way could he play today. His time came and went.
                            Shifting goalposts.

"Best Jackrabbit Men's Basketball Player Of All Time" vs. "Jackrabbit Player Who Meant The Most To The Program At The Time."
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

How come the Callahan brothers are mentioned and compared in the prior posts? They are history are they not? They were very good for their time, but do not belong on the same court as the current squad. Griffin was interesting kid and no doubt a very fine citizen today wherever he is. As far what they were able to do, Don Jacobsen led us to a third place finish in 1961 and scared the hell out of a Prairie View A&M team that including NBA Zelmo Beatty, at the regional held in the BARN. I think Jacobsen also got a NBA tryout. He done is share now he is 2 years older than I am and a retired Thrivant Insurance agent. No way could he play today. His time came and went. Also Jacobsen played for Lake Norden High that was always blocked from the State B tourney by Jim Marking coached Hayti Redbird teams that included CFL great Garney Henley.
                              Add in Mark Schultz (sp) then too!

Comment

Add in Mark Schultz (sp) then too!

But I have to admit if it gets past the early 80's I'm lost!

Comment

Working...
                                X