Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I kinda think it would have been chaos as well. Although the athletes aren't paid they are promised a scholarship to play a sport. There's incredible value in that scholarship if the athlete takes advantage of it.

I do think the rules need to be relaxed for some scenarios. For example, a coach leaving or getting fired. That kid should be able to leave without penalty. The coach develops the relationship with the athlete, so saying you commit to the school is so dumb. Another scenario would be a mutual agreement between the athlete and coach. If both agree parting ways is in the best interest of the athlete and maybe even the team, why not let them transfer immediately? Having what is essentially a hard rule about sitting a year is really unfair.

I agree in principle, but allowing kids on a roster to leave without penalty when a coach leaves could decimate a roster real fast, and you might find yourself needing to recruit to fill 35+ scholarships on a football team, many of whom will need to contribute right away, in when you were expecting to recruit 20 and redshirt most of them. You could lose a roster fast. I would like to see some stipulation that coaches cannot leave for a different job after a certain date, and before another one each season. I think it's totally unfair for a coach to accept a new job at the end of recruiting season, five days before signing day. That monumentally screws up recruiting for the schoolast losing their coach. They have to figure out how to hold on to their recruits and hire a new coach in the span of about a week.

It'd be very complicated, but I'd like to see something where coaches cannot willfully (without being fired) take another coaching job before January 15th (for football), and move the signing day back to February. That gives schools a little over three weeks to run damage control when a coach leaves, and a chance to not ruin an entire recruiting class. And that also keeps kids from signing to play for a school/coach that will then bolt on thema week later.

It's a complicated issue, for sure.

Comment

I still say get rid of signing day and let kids sign with the schools when ever they want after the start of their Jr year in high school. once kids are locked up they cant sign with another school so schools cant poach after they sign to start with. a school could release a kid to open his recruitment if they want but once they are signed schools would get punished if they contacted a kid who has already signed somewhere else.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        These players don’t get paid. They should not be under contracts or agreements. They should be allowed to transfer as they wish. It does not matter what is “best” for the Universities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Actually, they do get paid, sort of. I believe the IRS considers scholarship money used for room and board (and my guess FCOA) taxable income. The only portion of a scholarship not taxed is the portion used as tuition. Schools like SDSU invest a lot of money in an athlete, allowing that athlete to transfer at will and play immediately is a really, really bad idea.

I have no idea why the current rules need to be changed. Grad transfers have earned the ability to go and play immediately. Kids who simply want to shop around for a better deal every year, or major schools wanting to poach top players from mid-majors who developed the player should not be allowed without that student having to sit out a year.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
          Actually, they do get paid, sort of. I believe the IRS considers scholarship money used for room and board (and my guess FCOA) taxable income. The only portion of a scholarship not taxed is the portion used as tuition. Schools like SDSU invest a lot of money in an athlete, allowing that athlete to transfer at will and play immediately is a really, really bad idea.

I have no idea why the current rules need to be changed. Grad transfers have earned the ability to go and play immediately. Kids who simply want to shop around for a better deal every year, or major schools wanting to poach top players from mid-majors who developed the player should not be allowed without that student having to sit out a year.
          This x1000!

Comment

You don't understand why someone should be allowed to change their mind about where they go to school and play sports?
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              You don't understand why someone should be allowed to change their mind about where they go to school and play sports?
              They are allowed, just with a reasonable penalty. If there was any change that I could maybe in my mind accept, it would be student-athletes would have ability to transfer at semester of their (true) freshman year without penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                RO, you seem pretty rigid about athletes not being bound by any sort of restrictions when it comes to transferring. Is that what you'd like to see, a free for all when it comes to transferring? To me it seems that would create chaos. Maybe I'm wrong.

I personally think the current rules could use some tweaking but having no penalties in all transfer situations seems extreme.

The schools are committing to providing a scholarship so some sort of commitment is necessary with a reasonable penalty for breaking the "contract". My nephew is going to tech school. The state is paying for his schooling with the stipulation he works in South Dakota for a certain period after graduating. He could go work out of state immediately, but there's going to be a penalty. Even college coaches have penalties in their contracts for breaking them early.

Comment

What if a school drops your major? Or what if your school has been harboring a sexual predator like Michigan State?

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    What if a school drops your major? Or what if your school has been harboring a sexual predator like Michigan State?

I do believe there have been exceptions for student-athletes to play right away. There is a process to be able to play right away. Now I wish it would be a little more open, and a little more cut and dry.

Comment

And...http://www.thesummitleague.org/sport...20180122noc0lw
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

That is some impressive company to be with; big time conferences and big time schools. Also, some definite first round draft picks. If that doesn't show you how impressive this guy is, I don't know what will. (Seriously, he's one of 2 mid-major players on the list of 14 and the other "mid-major" is from St. Mary's in the West Coast. I'm surprised he's even being acknowledged!)
                        Rollin' in my 5.0
                        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Mike Daum adds another POW for the Summit as he totals 2000 points this week.

http://gojacks.com/news/2018/2/5/men...is-season.aspx
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The Atlantic had a nice article on Daum today. You can sign up for a free week to read the full article.
                            https://theathletic.com/245625/2018/...oring-machine/

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
                              The Atlantic had a nice article on Daum today. You can sign up for a free week to read the full article.
                              https://theathletic.com/245625/2018/...oring-machine/
                              If you don’t want to go through the process of signing up you can go over the the Yote board since they copy and pasted the whole article in their smack thread.

Comment

Daum has been named as 1 of the 5 finalists for the Karl Malone Award (best PF in the nation). Good for him, very deserving. Going to be tough beating out Bagley and Ayton, but still, just being listed is huge.

http://gojacks.com/news/2018/3/8/men...one-award.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X