Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Hardly played in Champagne, but got to sit on a Big 10 bench.
    True. I personally think there were many other factors than just getting to play at Illinois that made Holdren leave the program.

The program back then wasn't anywhere near what we have now. Pretty hard to argue we aren't one of the top 25-30 mid major programs in the country. Back then I'm not sure we were out of the bottom 5-10 programs in the entire NCAA.

Comment

Hardly played in Champagne, but got to sit on a Big 10 bench.
      some kids that's enough for them, being there is just fine for them. like the bench at Duke and others major programs and kids in their home states. look at Neb walk ons. A lot will never play, but being a part of that is fine with them.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Well Larson would not have had to sit out a year when he transferred from Florida. Marshall would not have had to sit out a year when transferring from Wisconsin. Those two transfers far exceed any transfer that has left the program. Again I do not see this transfer rule really working against us but for us.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Very good point. I think we are better off with this potential change. If SDSU maintains the type of environment that quality players want to be involved in, they have little worry about losing those players.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            seems bad for us.
            it would be bad for everyone...... this is the ultimate hold coaches hostage move ever made. The top teams will have to deal with transfers who aren't playing where the mid-majors and low-majors will have to deal with holding on to their best players. With grad-transfers at least people could say that the player earned the right to transfer (graduating in 4 years and red-shirting) This is a terrible rule all the way around.... Can't say it would help or hurt SDSU, would probably be a case by case situation going forward.

Comment

Mods...any chance we can move this and make it it's own thread? I think there's some really good discussion that should be had that will effect us positive and negatively.

The big negative IMO...is that FCS football becomes a feeder system especially for P5/BCS schools for our best players, especially very talented redshirt freshman and sophomores being recruited by these P5 programs at year end. It would make me nauseous as an FCS/G6FBS coach.
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                it would be bad for everyone...... this is the ultimate hold coaches hostage move ever made. The top teams will have to deal with transfers who aren't playing where the mid-majors and low-majors will have to deal with holding on to their best players. With grad-transfers at least people could say that the player earned the right to transfer (graduating in 4 years and red-shirting) This is a terrible rule all the way around.... Can't say it would help or hurt SDSU, would probably be a case by case situation going forward.
                I agree with where you stand joeboo. I can see us maybe getting our hands on a power 5 kid that washes out, but I can also see us losing a Wolters, Daum or Jenkins type after only a couple of years.

Hopefully they have some good poaching rules in place if they roll it out. That way it is the student reaching out instead of the universities. How you would monitor that I don't know, but I could definitely see the Pitino types actively recruiting colleges instead of high schools.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                  I agree with where you stand joeboo. I can see us maybe getting our hands on a power 5 kid that washes out, but I can also see us losing a Wolters, Daum or Jenkins type after only a couple of years.

Hopefully they have some good poaching rules in place if they roll it out. That way it is the student reaching out instead of the universities. How you would monitor that I don't know, but I could definitely see the Pitino types actively recruiting colleges instead of high schools.
                  And if a coach changes schools, players should not be allowed to follow and be immediately eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    And if a coach changes schools, players should not be allowed to follow and be immediately eligible.
                    I feel like that would be a big issue, could you imagine a coach interviewing saying hey I can bring these 3 players and they can play right away?

I do think current transfer rules should be refined. Schools have the choice, to release the student from the scholarship or not to. Not where they can block 38 teams. If a conference has a rule where another year if transferring within the conference that is up to the conference.

Comment

These players don’t get paid. They should not be under contracts or agreements. They should be allowed to transfer as they wish. It does not matter what is “best” for the Universities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        These players don’t get paid. They should not be under contracts or agreements. They should be allowed to transfer as they wish. It does not matter what is “best” for the Universities.
                        I agree with this. For every Daum type of player that we would potentially lose, I suspect there are a lot more Larson/Marshall types who would be interested in coming in. From the FCS side, I don't see this negatively impacting us too much either. I mean looking at Goedert and Wentz, it should show players that you can get drafted highly by playing at the FCS level. And again, I think the net influx of players would exceed the outgoing.

But at the end of the kids, letting young players pursue their dreams is really what the college experience should be about. I'm all for making SDSU a place that players are excited to come to because we support our athletics with great facilities and big crowds. That's how we will retain players.

Comment

The end of this article states this guy on Twitter (Dennis Dodd - CFB writer for CBS) that the change in transfer rules is dead. Until next year anyways.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sounds...le-going-pass/

I think this proposed rule change would be bad for everyone involved. Transfer rates would at least double and that isn't good for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            This.

Why should any institution be able to tell a student they can't leave? If Daum or Jenkins have the ability to go to a team that could possible win a NC, then more power to them. If SDSU gets a reputation of being able to help guys advance to the next level (either NBA or P5 schools) that will open the door to better and better players.

Aren't scholarships technically a year-to-year agreement anyway?
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              The end of this article states this guy on Twitter (Dennis Dodd - CFB writer for CBS) that the change in transfer rules is dead. Until next year anyways.

http://footballscoop.com/news/sounds...le-going-pass/

I think this proposed rule change would be bad for everyone involved. Transfer rates would at least double and that isn't good for anyone.
                              Thankfully! If you want chaos allowing anyone to transfer at anytime without sitting out that would have created it!

Comment

Thankfully! If you want chaos allowing anyone to transfer at anytime without sitting out that would have created it!
                                I kinda think it would have been chaos as well. Although the athletes aren't paid they are promised a scholarship to play a sport. There's incredible value in that scholarship if the athlete takes advantage of it.

I do think the rules need to be relaxed for some scenarios. For example, a coach leaving or getting fired. That kid should be able to leave without penalty. The coach develops the relationship with the athlete, so saying you commit to the school is so dumb. Another scenario would be a mutual agreement between the athlete and coach. If both agree parting ways is in the best interest of the athlete and maybe even the team, why not let them transfer immediately? Having what is essentially a hard rule about sitting a year is really unfair.

Comment

Working...
                                X