Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

I respectfully disagree with the rising draft stock by transferring argument. The NBA doesn't draft based on who scored the most points, gets the most rebounds, or even who the national player of the year was. The NBA drafts on measurables - who can jump higher, run faster, height, wingspan, etc. They draft based on how talent projects in to the future. Going and putting up numbers at a P5 school would provide a marginal benefit at best with a massive downside/risk.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Snip from the enlightening Matt Zimmer post-game interview with Daum:

Now, he could always change his mind, but this seems pretty definite. The prevailing winds are blowing him back to Brookings for his senior year. I would suggest ignoring message board/sports-bar rumors until and unless something really substantial to the opposite comes up.
      Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
      There will be rumors all over the place and no school can talk to daum until or if he announces he's transferring.
      Sdsu legacy vs draft stock. This is what it come down to.
      There are question marks against Daum and the only way those get answered is against top competition night in and night out.
      Lets say Daum transferred to Michigan for example....does anyone here honestly think that if he averaged the same #s there as he does here his draft stock wouldn't explode??

Selfishly I hope he doesn't transfer as his career will as a jack will go down as unquestionably the best but I will disagree with those that think going P5 will not help his stock.
      A) Is the part about schools not being able to talk to him true? Momma Daum said they got called by some B1G programs when Nagy left in an article I read.

B) Your draft stock can explode just as well as a Mid Major who goes on a run in the tourney in my somewhat uneducated opinion. I feel like there’s plenty of guys who have done that.

C) I think that Otz is a big help in this situation for us, bigger than Nagy would have been because he’s had a lot more experience with situations like these coaching at Iowa State and Washington. I think it helps the Daums trust him a lot more when it comes to gauging his draft stock and what’s best for him based off of that. Another thing I remember reading Momma Daum say was something to the affect of “if Otz says he’s a top 30 draft prospect then he’ll go” or something along those lines. That’s shows a lot of trust in him to help Mike as much as possible. I’ve read several things referring to Otz changing things to help Mike maximize himself and show he’s NBA ready, along with comments about us running NBA sets from opposing fans. Does a P5 program that’s going to be in the running to make a deep run make those changes just for a grad transfer? I doubt it unless you want to piss off the rest of your locker room. Also think it’s pretty smart to try to add Mikes best friend as a grad assistant. Not saying he wouldn’t have without Daum, but I doubt that it’s not some sort of consideration to that.

D) You can tell that the Daums are very much business like about this process in order to help get his as far as possible to reach his dreams, especially his mom IMO. I think his dads short stint in the NFL gives him an experience that might tell Mike to enjoy college before going into the pros. I’ve heard a lot of interviews where players that left early talk about missing the college life and some saying they wish they had stayed and enjoyed it longer. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the advice he gets from his dad and part of why he won’t jump unless he’s got real high draft stock.

In the end I hope he does what’s right for him. It’s been awesome to watch him play here and I would love to see one more year, but if he feels something else is better for him then I hope he does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        A) Is the part about schools not being able to talk to him true? Momma Daum said they got called by some B1G programs when Nagy left in an article I read.

B) Your draft stock can explode just as well as a Mid Major who goes on a run in the tourney in my somewhat uneducated opinion. I feel like there’s plenty of guys who have done that.

C) I think that Otz is a big help in this situation for us, bigger than Nagy would have been because he’s had a lot more experience with situations like these coaching at Iowa State and Washington. I think it helps the Daums trust him a lot more when it comes to gauging his draft stock and what’s best for him based off of that. Another thing I remember reading Momma Daum say was something to the affect of “if Otz says he’s a top 30 draft prospect then he’ll go” or something along those lines. That’s shows a lot of trust in him to help Mike as much as possible. I’ve read several things referring to Otz changing things to help Mike maximize himself and show he’s NBA ready, along with comments about us running NBA sets from opposing fans. Does a P5 program that’s going to be in the running to make a deep run make those changes just for a grad transfer? I doubt it unless you want to piss off the rest of your locker room. Also think it’s pretty smart to try to add Mikes best friend as a grad assistant. Not saying he wouldn’t have without Daum, but I doubt that it’s not some sort of consideration to that.

D) You can tell that the Daums are very much business like about this process in order to help get his as far as possible to reach his dreams, especially his mom IMO. I think his dads short stint in the NFL gives him an experience that might tell Mike to enjoy college before going into the pros. I’ve heard a lot of interviews where players that left early talk about missing the college life and some saying they wish they had stayed and enjoyed it longer. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the advice he gets from his dad and part of why he won’t jump unless he’s got real high draft stock.

In the end I hope he does what’s right for him. It’s been awesome to watch him play here and I would love to see one more year, but if he feels something else is better for him then I hope he does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Though, I have never met the Daums, but from interviews and watching the split screens during games, they are very much western Nebraskans. Their impressions of SDSU and Brookings are very positive and you hope we can keep it that way. A very complete post with excellent points.

Comment

It’s the GOOD Nebraska team that scares me - Creighton. I’ve seen enough of them to know that Greg McDermotts boys spread the court and let the ball fly from deep. Daum would unfortunately for us fit perfectly into that style of play and allow him to play closer to home in Nebraska while being tested against the big east. He would fit a need for them as well as a stretch 4. Creighton has a solid true 5 assuming he comes back healthy after a mid season ACL tear. Here’s to hoping he stays the put though.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
            Once you are there you cannot control the minutes or shots you get. A P5 coach, making 7 figures will promise the world, but there are a lot of stories out there of kids who had promises made to them that were left unfulfilled. I agree on Miles, but NU is a program with so many issues. Heck, it has been reported that Mile's is meeting with the AD to provide him with a "5 year plan" to improve NU basketball. I recall "5 year plans" from my youth. They were big in the old USSR, and they always failed.
            Of course you cannot control what happens once you're on campus but .... do we believe Daum is a borderline NBA prospect? Do we believe that Nebraska or Wisconsin or Creighton would love to have Daum on their roster? There is without a doubt risk involved if he were to choose to leave because he's leaving the relative sanctuary of what he knows for something that he doesn't know ... but if he is all the things that we believe him to be ... then minutes and shots at a new school will be the least of his worries!
            Last edited by wcbsas; 03-19-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trackrabbit View Post
              It’s the GOOD Nebraska team that scares me - Creighton. I’ve seen enough of them to know that Greg McDermotts boys spread the court and let the ball fly from deep. Daum would unfortunately for us fit perfectly into that style of play and allow him to play closer to home in Nebraska while being tested against the big east. He would fit a need for them as well as a stretch 4. Creighton has a solid true 5 assuming he comes back healthy after a mid season ACL tear. Here’s to hoping he stays the put though.
              Nebraska will be the better team next year, but the issue would be where Miles would put him. I could see Mike getting stuck down low when Tshimanga wasn't in the game. Part of Miles problem with keeping players has been them not agreeing with their role and usage. They have a good guard coming in, I think they will easily be a top 4 B10 team and over 20 wins again.

Creighton on the other hand is really going to miss Marcus Foster. If Kyrie Thomas decides to test the NBA waters they will be way down next year. Krampelj was a good post but at the time of his injury he had half of Creighton's dunks so he is very athletic and honestly was more of a misplaced 4. It will be interesting to see how the knee injury affects his play. Epperson would keep Daum out of the post position. Creighton definitely liked to play fast this year, but that fit Foster and Thomas games. If they are both gone they may have to fit change their game a little as those two excelled at pushing the pace.

Comment

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/20/nb...ley-trae-young

Here is one article listing the top 80 NBA prospects for this year's upcoming draft ... if this were to be believed ... Daum should remain in school another year for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                  Nebraska will be the better team next year, but the issue would be where Miles would put him. I could see Mike getting stuck down low when Tshimanga wasn't in the game. Part of Miles problem with keeping players has been them not agreeing with their role and usage. They have a good guard coming in, I think they will easily be a top 4 B10 team and over 20 wins again.

Creighton on the other hand is really going to miss Marcus Foster. If Kyrie Thomas decides to test the NBA waters they will be way down next year. Krampelj was a good post but at the time of his injury he had half of Creighton's dunks so he is very athletic and honestly was more of a misplaced 4. It will be interesting to see how the knee injury affects his play. Epperson would keep Daum out of the post position. Creighton definitely liked to play fast this year, but that fit Foster and Thomas games. If they are both gone they may have to fit change their game a little as those two excelled at pushing the pace.
                  I honestly believe the Jacks can be very good next year ... possibly at-large NCAA good ... they will need to beef up their non-conference schedule and be successful at it. But they have enough talent that if the talent translates into W's next season then they may be Nebraska and/or Creighton-good next year.

A few things have to happen internally including Key finding a jump shot, Jenkins improving in year 2, a couple of redshirts contributing next year, possibly a JUCO or grad transfer joining the team and contributing next season and of course Daum staying but imagine this year's team with a few more P5 wins under its belt (Missouri State, Wichita State, Colorado) ... that might get you a 9 or 10 seed. Then everything changes!

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

Here is one article listing the top 80 NBA prospects for this year's upcoming draft ... if this were to be believed ... Daum should remain in school another year for sure.
                    Did I miss something or was he not on that top 80 list?

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

Wow! Not in the top 80? Or did I miss him?
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Did I miss something or was he not on that top 80 list?
                        I don't know why everyone is surprised. When all the NBA talk started I looked at several mock drafts. Daum was listed no where. I passed it off as, he hasn't said he intended to go the NBA route and leave school early. Maybe that wasn't the reason.

Daum is a likely candidate to be a Mike Miller type NBA player. In the right draft he could go first round. But, if a large group of "athletes" are in the draft his stock would fall. He will get his shot, I just think he needs another year at SDSU or a P5 school to prove himself and work on parts of his game that the NBA scouts may see as lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                          Wow! Not in the top 80? Or did I miss him?
                          Not in it ... some of it may simply be that no one believes he's coming out ... so maybe he's being over-looked at little.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                            I don't know why everyone is surprised. When all the NBA talk started I looked at several mock drafts. Daum was listed no where. I passed it off as, he hasn't said he intended to go the NBA route and leave school early. Maybe that wasn't the reason.

Daum is a likely candidate to be a Mike Miller type NBA player. In the right draft he could go first round. But, if a large group of "athletes" are in the draft his stock would fall. He will get his shot, I just think he needs another year at SDSU or a P5 school to prove himself and work on parts of his game that the NBA scouts may see as lacking.
                            In my opinion that's a bad thing for us if he's not anywhere near first round. His 3 playing years have been phenomenal and that could lead to him testing other schools.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                              In my opinion that's a bad thing for us if he's not anywhere near first round. His 3 playing years have been phenomenal and that could lead to him testing other schools.
                              Transferring to a larger program can be just as dangerous to his draft stock. Right now he is one of the best mid-major players in the country playing in an offense that allows him to show off his offensive skill set while somewhat hiding his defensive shortcomings.

Now let's say he transfers to a school like Wisconsin or Nebraska (as some have mentioned on this board). Both of those teams are the bottom half of PPG and 3pt % in conference. Now, let's say that Mike goes to one of those schools and his offensive numbers drop like a rock due to the system. That certainly won't help his case. What about if he thinks bigger and transfers to an actual good P5 school? Odds are he would be the first guy off the bench in some of those systems.

Personally, I think that he benefits way more from being a big fish in a mid-sized pond.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                                Transferring to a larger program can be just as dangerous to his draft stock. Right now he is one of the best mid-major players in the country playing in an offense that allows him to show off his offensive skill set while somewhat hiding his defensive shortcomings.

Now let's say he transfers to a school like Wisconsin or Nebraska (as some have mentioned on this board). Both of those teams are the bottom half of PPG and 3pt % in conference. Now, let's say that Mike goes to one of those schools and his offensive numbers drop like a rock due to the system. That certainly won't help his case. What about if he thinks bigger and transfers to an actual good P5 school? Odds are he would be the first guy off the bench in some of those systems.

Personally, I think that he benefits way more from being a big fish in a mid-sized pond.
                                name 5 schools he would be the 6th man for?

maybe I think he's way better than he is but I don't think there are more than 5 schools he wouldn't start for.

Comment

Working...
                                X