Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
    I don't think that happens ... at least not this year. TJ is having a new baby, loves Brookings and frankly probably needs to win an NCAA game or two before he becomes a hot commodity again. Perception is that he's winning but still with some of Nagy's guys (especially one particular individual). Win the Summit and make the NCAA next year for the 3rd consecutive year then you might get some discussion!
    If Iowa State repeats their last place Big12 finish next season, Prohm is very likely on the hot seat. Would that job open up, I think Otz would be right in the middle of the hunt. Knowing that and with the prospect of what next season could be here, I don't think he is anywhere but in Brookings for at least one more year.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
      I am not sure how it all works, but I have a couple questions that have been nagging me.

To grad transfer do you have to have your bachelor's degree in hand and join a graduate program at the next school you go to?

If you do does anyone know where Mike is in his pursuit of a bachelor's degree? What I am asking is is he even eligible to grad transfer?
      Yes, you need your bachelor's degree. However, for Mike to qualify for the grad transfer he would need his bachelor degree just in advance of the start of the Fall 2018 semester, so he could still study all summer at SDSU and graduate after the summer semester. (I have no idea how he is academically or if he's on pace to graduate in 4, 4.5, or 5 years, or maybe even already has graduated.)

This next part I am 85% sure is accurate, you have to enroll in a graduate program at the new school that your previous school does not offer.

Comment

My guess is Daum does something like Wentz.

He's the guy that proves you can go to the big leagues from a mid major and succeed. He isn't going anywhere (****...)
        2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

I don't see the grad transfer as a great option for him. If he is good enough, the NBA will (and already has) taken notice. If he stays at SDSU, he can control a lot of his scenarios and be comfortable, allowing him to be the best player he can be. If he transfers, there are a lot of unknowns, how will his new teammates accept him? What happens if he goes into a little slump and the NBA perceives him as not good enough to play at the P5 level? I think the grad transfer is great for people who have been at a small school and want that one last chance just to say or experience the play of a P5 conference and get a slim chance at becoming pro. I don't think its good for people who are nearly guaranteed a chance at trying to make it pro.

I also don't see leaving early as a huge benefit. He's too small and not physical enough to play down low in the NBA. He's not quick enough to be a 2 or 3. His role is going to be a spot up clutch shooter, much the way guys like Mike Miller or Kyle Korver have carved out a long NBA career, and I don't know if teams see that as something to take in the 1st round.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            If Iowa State repeats their last place Big12 finish next season, Prohm is very likely on the hot seat. Would that job open up, I think Otz would be right in the middle of the hunt. Knowing that and with the prospect of what next season could be here, I don't think he is anywhere but in Brookings for at least one more year.
            I agree Iowa State is a prime destination, Wisconsin if Greg Gard has another down year (or two), Nebraska is a possibility ... but all three of those the incumbent has at least for sure one more year if not more left in them. I'm not sure TJ leaves for another mid-major position (MAC, C-USA, Missouri Valley) its probably going to be a P5 destination in I'm not sure TJ has enough road under his wheels to be legitimately considered ... and that presumes he would be interested in leaving ... not a likely scenario at the moment IMO.

Comment

Snip from the enlightening Matt Zimmer post-game interview with Daum:

MZ: Do you have a tough decision to make now?

Daum: No, I don’t have a tough decision. I just want to go back, finish my school, get my degree and then I’ll come back.

MZ: So you’re a Jackrabbit?

Daum: I’m a Jackrabbit. Yeah.

Now, he could always change his mind, but this seems pretty definite. The prevailing winds are blowing him back to Brookings for his senior year. I would suggest ignoring message board/sports-bar rumors until and unless something really substantial to the opposite comes up.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                I don't see the grad transfer as a great option for him. If he is good enough, the NBA will (and already has) taken notice. If he stays at SDSU, he can control a lot of his scenarios and be comfortable, allowing him to be the best player he can be. If he transfers, there are a lot of unknowns, how will his new teammates accept him? What happens if he goes into a little slump and the NBA perceives him as not good enough to play at the P5 level? I think the grad transfer is great for people who have been at a small school and want that one last chance just to say or experience the play of a P5 conference and get a slim chance at becoming pro. I don't think its good for people who are nearly guaranteed a chance at trying to make it pro.

I also don't see leaving early as a huge benefit. He's too small and not physical enough to play down low in the NBA. He's not quick enough to be a 2 or 3. His role is going to be a spot up clutch shooter, much the way guys like Mike Miller or Kyle Korver have carved out a long NBA career, and I don't know if teams see that as something to take in the 1st round.
                The problem is right now he's a border-line NBA prospect, likely to not even get drafted in round 2 if he were to consider leaving. Staying at SDSU for another year is likely not going to significantly change those perceptions. So, conceivably he could stay at SDSU become a potential 2nd round pick and take his chances or transfer to a P5 school - address the concerns NBA evaluators may have and try and improve his NBA stock.

Comment

I agree Iowa State is a prime destination, Wisconsin if Greg Gard has another down year (or two), Nebraska is a possibility ... but all three of those the incumbent has at least for sure one more year if not more left in them. I'm not sure TJ leaves for another mid-major position (MAC, C-USA, Missouri Valley) its probably going to be a P5 destination in I'm not sure TJ has enough road under his wheels to be legitimately considered ... and that presumes he would be interested in leaving ... not a likely scenario at the moment IMO.
                  TJ is likely to get a substantial raise here at SDSU, I think. And, his moving-on resume isn't really complete without an NCAA tournament win or two (the old "if he can do that at San South Dakota Diego State or wherever he was, think of what he can do for US!!!" theory).

Personally, I think he's waiting for Iowa State to come open, and I'd expect ISU to give Prohm at least one more year.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Did not TJ work for Greg McDermott at ISU? Could this relationship possibly account for the Creighton rumors? I know Greg was on hand when TJ was announced as SDSU head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Did not TJ work for Greg McDermott at ISU? Could this relationship possibly account for the Creighton rumors? I know Greg was on hand when TJ was announced as SDSU head coach.
                      Yes, TJ was an assistant at Iowa State for Greg McDermott, Fred Hoiberg, and Steve Prohm. Through in a quick stint at Washington between all of that.

I had heard from a reliable source that when Nagy left and Krabenhoft went to Wisconsin, there was a casual conversation between Daum and Krabbenhoft about Daum going to Wisconsin. Krabbenholt told him they have a spot for him if he wants it, but they both agreed its best to stay where you started, or something along those lines. Never got real serious about leaving but the option was there if he wanted to.

Comment

The problem is right now he's a border-line NBA prospect, likely to not even get drafted in round 2 if he were to consider leaving. Staying at SDSU for another year is likely not going to significantly change those perceptions. So, conceivably he could stay at SDSU become a potential 2nd round pick and take his chances or transfer to a P5 school - address the concerns NBA evaluators may have and try and improve his NBA stock.
                        Or he could grad transfer, get 20 minutes and 10 shots per night and absolutely kill any chance he had of being drafted.

I like his Mom's comments, "do it right". I think Mike knows where he will be next year and I think his comment to Zimmer was spot on. Come back, work on strength and conditioning and play BB 24 x 7, get 25 or more shots per game, finish your career as a top 5, top 10 for sure NCAA scorer. Get a ton of attention, like he is already getting. Or grad transfer, start over with a new coach and new teammates and hope the situation works out. We'll see. If I recall he was gone after last season, how did that work out for the reporter and rumor starters? I think we all worry too much.

Comment

There will be rumors all over the place and no school can talk to daum until or if he announces he's transferring.
                          Sdsu legacy vs draft stock. This is what it come down to.
                          There are question marks against Daum and the only way those get answered is against top competition night in and night out.
                          Lets say Daum transferred to Michigan for example....does anyone here honestly think that if he averaged the same #s there as he does here his draft stock wouldn't explode??

Selfishly I hope he doesn't transfer as his career will as a jack will go down as unquestionably the best but I will disagree with those that think going P5 will not help his stock.

Comment

Bottom line here is if Mike likes it here he will stay. He seems like the type of guy who if he likes his coach and his team mates and likes the talent coming in to assist the team and improve the team he is likely to stay. TJ has said that his job is to make it such a good environment that Mike wont want to leave. I hope he has done that and that Mike feels like the staff is good enough to teach him what he needs to know to advance his career and enable him to succeed at the next level. There are only a handful of people who really knows the answer but whatever happens I will always cheer for Mike Daum whether it be for one more year in a Jack uniform or if he goes professional.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                              Or he could grad transfer, get 20 minutes and 10 shots per night and absolutely kill any chance he had of being drafted.

I like his Mom's comments, "do it right". I think Mike knows where he will be next year and I think his comment to Zimmer was spot on. Come back, work on strength and conditioning and play BB 24 x 7, get 25 or more shots per game, finish your career as a top 5, top 10 for sure NCAA scorer. Get a ton of attention, like he is already getting. Or grad transfer, start over with a new coach and new teammates and hope the situation works out. We'll see. If I recall he was gone after last season, how did that work out for the reporter and rumor starters? I think we all worry too much.
                              He's not going anywhere that would only give him 20 minutes and 10 shots per night. If he became a free agent and prospected his opportunities it will be to someone who has a definitive hole in their rotation he can immediately fill, who's coaching staff is a good fit and will have some commitments as to playing time opportunities.

FYI - I do not think he's going anywhere. The risks of leaving likely outweigh the rewards ... particularly given what he might gain from staying. But lets not kid ourselves - Tim Miles would soil himself to get an opportunity to plug in Mike Daum in his Nebraska rotation next year and Mike Daum would be one of the better players in the Big Ten or Big East or whatever conference we would chose to go to!

Comment

He's not going anywhere that would only give him 20 minutes and 10 shots per night. If he became a free agent and prospected his opportunities it will be to someone who has a definitive hole in their rotation he can immediately fill, who's coaching staff is a good fit and will have some commitments as to playing time opportunities.

FYI - I do not think he's going anywhere. The risks of leaving likely outweigh the rewards ... particularly given what he might gain from staying. But lets not kid ourselves - Tim Miles would soil himself to get an opportunity to plug in Mike Daum in his Nebraska rotation next year and Mike Daum would be one of the better players in the Big Ten or Big East or whatever conference we would chose to go to!
                                Once you are there you cannot control the minutes or shots you get. A P5 coach, making 7 figures will promise the world, but there are a lot of stories out there of kids who had promises made to them that were left unfulfilled. I agree on Miles, but NU is a program with so many issues. Heck, it has been reported that Mile's is meeting with the AD to provide him with a "5 year plan" to improve NU basketball. I recall "5 year plans" from my youth. They were big in the old USSR, and they always failed.

Comment

Working...
                                X