Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike Daum - The Dauminator

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Keep Otzelberger for another year, let him recruit another class, Daum stays for his senior year, and SDSU will be an absolute monster next year.

I mean a pushing-to-break-into-the-top-25 monster.

My suspicion is that Daum stays to finish what he started here, but time will tell.

Cart goes behind horse, however.

Beat Ohio State first. Then, we'll see what happens from there.
    Clear your cards we have a Bingo. RIGHT HERE ON THIS BOARD BY OUR MODERATOR.

Comment

This is the best analysis of Mike Daum's game that I've ever read.

https://deadspin.com/mike-daum-can-s...nge-1823805456
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Keep Otzelberger for another year, let him recruit another class, Daum stays for his senior year, and SDSU will be an absolute monster next year.

I mean a pushing-to-break-into-the-top-25 monster.

My suspicion is that Daum stays to finish what he started here, but time will tell.

Cart goes behind horse, however.

Beat Ohio State first. Then, we'll see what happens from there.
        I really hope you're right on Daum staying but my money is on him being a Badger next year. I pray that I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
          I really hope you're right on Daum staying but my money is on him being a Badger next year. I pray that I'm wrong.
          I really only see him going to saw a top 25 team. or something but they probably wont waste a year on him, I don't think he goes anywhere unless they can prove they are going to make an NCAA tourney run. If he goes big 10 or 12 and its not a contender, he might not be in the tournament next year. If he stays at SDSU that might get him back for his 4th year. crazy to think how fast his career has gone by. felt like just recently we were watching wolters drive the lane and nail the 3. I really feel like he will be back with unfinished business as the teams motto. to much talent next year to just say I will take a chance at big 10 or big 12. What would probably hurt as much losing him off the team, is losing him from the community. I have a 6 year old who loves watching Daum play since he knows he is the best. I know others who have had kids who have met Daum are blown away with how good he is with kids and fans. He truly gets the big picture. Zenner was like that as others have been. I really hope Reed takes the offer to stay with the team and that might be enough to keep Daum for a great final season. I don't know if he would leave if it would improve his draft stock that much. If we lost 4 seniors and a coach, I get it, he would probably want to leave to have a chance his final year, but the team next year might be that much better then this year.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Zimmer’s blog from a few minutes ago. Read it and relax a bit. I liked Daum’s comment after the game.

Comment

"Unfinished business" is a cliché in sports, but it's also a real thing (which is why it's a cliché.)

My impression is that Daum has unfinished business with the NCAA tournament at SDSU.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

"Unfinished business" is a cliché in sports, but it's also a real thing (which is why it's a cliché.)

My impression is that Daum has unfinished business with the NCAA tournament at SDSU.
                He has good of a chance as any to do it with SDSU next year.

Rumor is the nebraksa message boards are expecting Miles to go after Daum hard and why Daum should go there.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Rumor is the nebraksa message boards are expecting Miles to go after Daum hard and why Daum should go there.
                  Yeah. Go find Zimmer's writeup of the post-game interview with Daum and get back to us on that.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Lol, why would he go play at Nebraska?! They might not even make the tournament next year. I would venture to guess on a neutral floor if we have the expected returning players plus some new pieces, we might even be favored against Nebraska.

Comment

I would call that more wishful thinking than anything. LOL

Comment

Yeah. Go find Zimmer's writeup of the post-game interview with Daum and get back to us on that.
                        Being the player that won the first NCAA game in SDSU history would cement him as the greatest player in Jackrabbit basketball.

There's a lot to be said for being able to do something nobody else has as opposed to feeling like a hired 6th man
                        Last edited by SoDakJack; 03-15-2018, 06:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

If you're Mike Daum and his family you are thinking about what's best for Mike financially......and that's totally appropriate in my opinion. We are talking about 7 figure annually type decisions so you want them to do what is best for him long term.

With that being said......I think the grad transfer option is the absolute worst decisions Daum could make of the 3(stay, NBA, grad transfer) by far. Too many variables. You need an entire group of college kids to give up their ego and let a guy from an "inferior" small school come in and take control of your team. He's going to need his teammates to feed him 15+ shots per game, which is a biiiig if for a non-point guard when transferring up to an entirely new group. That doesn't even take in to account being forced to face taller, stronger, more athletic defenders on a nightly basis. New system, new coach, and new environment all together. How does Mike fit in with all of these variables?? Certainly a significant risk for a guy likely to be at least drafted in the NBA at some point in his current situation. And what is the ultimate gain? He will never be taken above the freak athlete with the high ceiling or the hot one and done. At best he moves up a few slots with the risk of dropping off draft boards all together.

Mike needs to declare for the draft and test the waters in my opinion. If he goes to the combine and receives a lottery pick grade from scouts he needs to take the money now and go. The whole get your degree argument is out dated as far as I'm concerned. You can get your degree at really any point in life. You are only able to make money playing basketball for a limited time.

If no lottery grade, come back to SDSU and continue to improve. His ability to drive, to pass off the dribble, hit tough jumpers, and block shots all improved significantly from last year to this year in my opinion. Another year of improvement may be of great value to his long term financial success. When you look at the team returning next year we are going to be really good. Improve yourself and dominate at the mid major level with all of the proven and known variables. I can't see another year of development physically in the same system HURTING Daum. Ultimately the best financial decision for Daum is likely returning for his Senior year and building on his already extraordinary resume while developing his physical attributes and measurables in a predictable environment.

Comment

I have been watching the various mock drafts that have come out over the last couple of weeks and I have not seen one that has Mike in the first round, much less the lottery. There are a large number of high potential freshmen and sophs that are expected to declare, probably more than usual because of the fallout of the pending scandal with many of the P5 powers. Add in the foreign players and it will be hard to crack the first round. And Nate's struggle to make it in the NBA as a second round pick has shown that if you're not a first rounder, stay in school.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                              Just curious -- why UW? The Krabbenhoft connection?

Comment

So can other teams "recruit" him at any point? Or does he have to announce a grad transfer to allow other schools to recruit him? Just curious if any "tampering" could occur in this situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X