New DB Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New DB Coach

I tried to explain to my coworkers that more people would show up to meetings if they offered punch and pie......nobody got it and nobody thought it was a good idea.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      Bingo. Someone asks you for data, you provide it, and you get flamed by the resident know-it-all.
      No, BULLDOG did not make any comments with that answer, but I was referring to his previous post, just before that, which said:

The issue is not the 1 year contracts. The issue is that we have college coaches making less than high school coaches. $35-40,000 is a ridiculous salary. I make $60,000 teaching/coaching at the hs level.

I'm not going to get into a name-calling contest with you TK, and I certainly don't know-it-all, but I will be interested in your answer to the question I posted to BULLDOG, too which he has not yet responded, i.e., "what are your solutions for raising the money so the assistant coaches can be paid more?"

Comment

Is not the difference makers club the avenue for extra salary money? If so is it to pay entire salaries for any extra coaches or is it used to supplement the salaries? Example you have Dan Jackson at just over $30k but could difference makers be kicking in and extra $10-15k? Just curious as that would not be public record.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          Is not the difference makers club the avenue for extra salary money? If so is it to pay entire salaries for any extra coaches or is it used to supplement the salaries? Example you have Dan Jackson at just over $30k but could difference makers be kicking in and extra $10-15k? Just curious as that would not be public record.
          I suppose some of the money goes to extra coaches, but maybe not enough to cover all the salaries. I, personally would like to see some accounting for the difference makers club. I trust Stig on this but it would nice to see exactly how the money is used. I don't think he is sticking the money in his pocket and taking a big vacation some where especially with a national signing being some time in early February.

Comment

Here is an 2014 article on the fund raising that appeared in the Colleigian.

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/ar...7a43b2370.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              I'm not going to get into a name-calling contest with you TK, and I certainly don't know-it-all, but I will be interested in your answer to the question I posted to BULLDOG, too which he has not yet responded, i.e., "what are your solutions for raising the money so the assistant coaches can be paid more?"
              Solutions? Maybe first you should ask me if I think coaching salaries should be raised in the first place.

Last year I made the decision to stop financially supporting our athletic programs. Instead, I chose to shift those funds and increase my donations to several educational institutions, child health-care facilities, and programs like Make-A-Wish. Never looked back and never felt better.

Comment

Solutions? Maybe first you should ask me if I think coaching salaries should be raised in the first place.

Last year I made the decision to stop financially supporting our athletic programs. Instead, I chose to shift those funds and increase my donations to several educational institutions, child health-care facilities, and programs like Make-A-Wish. Never looked back and never felt better.
                Well good for you. Now, since you don't have any skin in the game anymore, can we assume you will not be complaining about anything in regards to SDSU athletics? (Now, of course, if you want to attend a game from your entertainment budget, it will help keep the lights on.)

Comment

Now, to get on the real questions in this thread (i.e., small schools, funding for capital outlay and salaries, etc.) Capital outlays are a fund permitted by South Dakota law, which allows schools to pay for one-time capital expenses (obviously, over and over in the case of something that eventually wears out). It is entirely local taxpayers' funds, and the state contributes nothing (and thus the Sioux Falls resident is contributing nothing). The other local taxpayers funds are for ongoing operations (salaries, etc.) The funds the state provides to local schools is based on a formula...it is basically per student. I.e., state dollars (through whatever form of existing taxation). So the state funds basically augment the local (non-capital outlay funds) tax funds, so a student in Sioux Falls, or a student in Leola is subsidized in the same fashion. Sending them elsewhere doesn't lessen the state funding requirement. (Now, without chasing all the loop holes, there is a separate funding which provides some limited dollars to smaller schools in the formula...but the dollars are not huge.)
                  You can't spend state funds for capital outlay projects, so that is why the funds are separated.

There is a cap on how much taxpayers can tax themselves for local education, but there is an opt-out provision for taxpayers to say, through a vote, they want to tax themselves more to provide the education level they want. My high school has opted out. In addition, the school has formed a non-profit foundation which raises funds from patrons that want to provide additional extra funding. I have served on that foundation board and contributed funds, so I understand the feeling smaller towns have for their schools.

Comment

Well good for you. Now, since you don't have any skin in the game anymore, can we assume you will not be complaining about anything in regards to SDSU athletics? (Now, of course, if you want to attend a game from your entertainment budget, it will help keep the lights on.)
                    As an alumni and federal taxpayer I'll always have skin in the game, but you are correct, you will not find me complaining about items that can be directly improved by donations to athletics. Kind of like politics....can't bitch if you don't vote.

I'll always complain about play-calling (ahem, fake punt) and other coaching-related decisions. That's in the message board Bill of Rights.

Comment

• Re: New DB Coach

In addition, the school has formed a non-profit foundation which raises funds from patrons that want to provide additional extra funding. I have served on that foundation board and contributed funds, so I understand the feeling smaller towns have for their schools.
                      In SD, can that "additional funding" from the non-profit be used to support teacher salaries? In Iowa it cannot legally be used to support instruction.

Comment

In SD, can that "additional funding" from the non-profit be used to support teacher salaries? In Iowa it cannot legally be used to support instruction.
                        I'm not sure, would have to check. But, I'm sure you know how budgeting works...the foundation funds can be spent for something else in the budget, which frees up funds for salaries.

Comment

Now, to get on the real questions in this thread (i.e., small schools, funding for capital outlay and salaries, etc.) Capital outlays are a fund permitted by South Dakota law, which allows schools to pay for one-time capital expenses (obviously, over and over in the case of something that eventually wears out). It is entirely local taxpayers' funds, and the state contributes nothing (and thus the Sioux Falls resident is contributing nothing). The other local taxpayers funds are for ongoing operations (salaries, etc.) The funds the state provides to local schools is based on a formula...it is basically per student. I.e., state dollars (through whatever form of existing taxation). So the state funds basically augment the local (non-capital outlay funds) tax funds, so a student in Sioux Falls, or a student in Leola is subsidized in the same fashion. Sending them elsewhere doesn't lessen the state funding requirement. (Now, without chasing all the loop holes, there is a separate funding which provides some limited dollars to smaller schools in the formula...but the dollars are not huge.)
                          You can't spend state funds for capital outlay projects, so that is why the funds are separated.

There is a cap on how much taxpayers can tax themselves for local education, but there is an opt-out provision for taxpayers to say, through a vote, they want to tax themselves more to provide the education level they want. My high school has opted out. In addition, the school has formed a non-profit foundation which raises funds from patrons that want to provide additional extra funding. I have served on that foundation board and contributed funds, so I understand the feeling smaller towns have for their schools.
                          Good post, and as Johnny Carson used to say often. "I did not know that". I just have taken the time to get the details down but have heard the term opt out quite often. Now I get it, but we still need to do something about teacher pay. Way off topic here.

Comment

Working...
                          X