Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU @ FGCU

Originally posted by goon View Post
    As far as cas being old, its not that say a facility or building is old at 50 years old but cas had no real functional life left and probably was limiting the income potential for the football team. As old as the arena is in sf it is just to small for some stuff but its still has a good life left and for now will serve a purpose.
    I don't want to re-hash a bunch of stuff but CAS was built with limited funds. College On the Hill has the arch drawing of what it was to be and it was much different than the final product so in doing that, they limited the future on its use. There was no other choice, with so much of the public against building a half way decent stadium. I thought some of those fear mongers would be
    condemning the new Dykhouse, but it has not happened so far. As I said before, I have no regrets about CAS being gone. I would agree about the Sioux Falls Arena, the community outgrew it. Also watched SDSU play BB there the first year it was in operation. I enjoyed watching a number of NCC tourneys there.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 12-21-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Saying CAS is too old is like telling me that I am too old.
      I'm glad you said it, now noone else has to.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        I'm glad you said it, now no one else has to.
        No problem I will just consider the source Added a space bar for clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasbeen View Post
          Hmmm ... a new practice facility for basketball. Hmmm. I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here. Donors and supporters have been asked to dig deep in recent years to help pay for ongoing operations and physical improvements. A good example is what is happening with football season tickets. Many fellow current season ticket holders are scratching their heads trying to figure out how to get tickets and pay the additional money for donations to keep and maintain their seats. Coaches have solicited donors to help to pay for their special programs in the various sports. Cost of Attendance is on the horizon and that won't be cheap. The average Jackrabbit fan finds it more difficult to purchase football season tickets and basketball season tickets. I'm not alone when I balk at spending $2,000 to $3,000 annually to attend the games. I appreciate the athletic department's desire to upgrade facilities. But, I also know that athletic programs are a lot like government - they have insatiable appetites. You just have to wonder how long you can continue to feed the beast.

My guess and its just a guess, is when they do the Frost renovation, they want to do a full-size big renovation. Unlike CAS, Frost Arena is still a solid Mid-Major arena, even with the bleachers on top. Rather then push the renovation and do it this year, why not wait 2-3-4 years and when you do it, do it with everything, offices, locker-rooms, practice facilities, film rooms and so on.

I do agree though that the athletic department needs to be careful with everything or they are going to out-price a large fan base. The BBall teams are good, but if it gets too expensive, families will look at area high school games, or D-II/NAIA games.

Comment

Plans to update Frost are not new. They've been discussed for a few years. The Frost update is the next big sports project on the master wish list, after the football stadium, and university leaders are starting to talk more about it. The track in the upper level of Frost is no longer needed, which will provide some construction flexibility for the remodel, officials say, and much of the upper-level seating and sight lines suck. In my view, seating on the lower level has weird drop-offs to the court and some wasted space. And that HVAC equipment at the ceiling is really ugly. The corridor on lower level of the south side is too small and virtually useless. Perhaps most importantly, the addition of practice space for the men's and women's teams is necessary to keep the program at a high level. Frost has been a great facility, but a lot of improvements are in order to keep it great. I suspect the pace of donations will determine the construction schedule.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Not sure if it wouldn't be easier and possibly better to just build a new BB/VB arena and turn frost into Practice facilities.

Comment

Edited thread title, as "Practice facil discussion" could have been an invitation to practice facile discussions.

Although it could be argued that this is the primary purpose of the Internet generally nowadays.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The space limitation for thread titles can provide an opportunity for a word play.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    Plans to update Frost are not new. They've been discussed for a few years. The Frost update is the next big sports project on the master wish list, after the football stadium, and university leaders are starting to talk more about it. The track in the upper level of Frost is no longer needed, which will provide some construction flexibility for the remodel, officials say, and much of the upper-level seating and sight lines suck. In my view, seating on the lower level has weird drop-offs to the court and some wasted space. And that HVAC equipment at the ceiling is really ugly. The corridor on lower level of the south side is too small and virtually useless. Perhaps most importantly, the addition of practice space for the men's and women's teams is necessary to keep the program at a high level. Frost has been a great facility, but a lot of improvements are in order to keep it great. I suspect the pace of donations will determine the construction schedule.
                    Has anyone seen any plans or drawings for the update? So far it seems to be just beer talk. Maybe I am being facile in saying this but surely there are some documented plans somewhere.

Comment

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of cost for the practice facility. I would think the cost would be small relative to the recent indoor facility and stadium projects, but if it includes items intended to set the stage for game-night only Frost Arena (such as HVAC updates) then it could get larger.
                      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                        It would be interesting to see a breakdown of cost for the practice facility. I would think the cost would be small relative to the recent indoor facility and stadium projects, but if it includes items intended to set the stage for game-night only Frost Arena (such as HVAC updates) then it could get larger.
                        I would think HVAC equipment could be moved,re-routed and put anywhere there's enough space and hid behind a wall in an "equipment room" or something, it doesn't have to be in plain sight.I assume they are big, bulky air handling units (for AC/Heating) to move around the vast amount of circulating air.The duct work can then go out and return /to there.

Comment

There has been a crew working on the roof of Frost since last spring. I have not noticed anything lately. It also trendy now to show the heating cooling plumbing on many new facilities. Some of the engineers in the crowd might have a better perspective of what to expect.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

There is a plan (if only in developmental stage) and the department has been working on the first steps. Justin Sell had hoped to have enough things in line to go to the Regents at the fall meeting with authority to seek legislative approval for the development work to continue. I'm pretty sure they will go to the Regents next fall (although COA is taking more of a center stage which could push the schedule back a bit). The project would include complete renovation of Frost Arena, including suites on the south side, and an addition to the building on the south side to house two practice floors, and possibly a larger area for the wrestling team. I'm sure the department is doing what it can to deal with the need for financial support to pay off the stadium bonds, COA and eventually, the next step at Frost Arena. Considering every thing, it seems to me we can get along with our current basketball facility for a few more years, while we take a collective break to catch our breath on the amazing strides SDSU has taken on the facility side. Having said that, I don't expect Sell to take much of a breath on moving the Frost project ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              There is a plan (if only in developmental stage) and the department has been working on the first steps. Justin Sell had hoped to have enough things in line to go to the Regents at the fall meeting with authority to seek legislative approval for the development work to continue. I'm pretty sure they will go to the Regents next fall (although COA is taking more of a center stage which could push the schedule back a bit). The project would include complete renovation of Frost Arena, including suites on the south side, and an addition to the building on the south side to house two practice floors, and possibly a larger area for the wrestling team. I'm sure the department is doing what it can to deal with the need for financial support to pay off the stadium bonds, COA and eventually, the next step at Frost Arena. Considering every thing, it seems to me we can get along with our current basketball facility for a few more years, while we take a collective break to catch our breath on the amazing strides SDSU has taken on the facility side. Having said that, I don't expect Sell to take much of a breath on moving the Frost project ahead.
                              Have there been any rendering or drawing to peek at? Seemed like the football stuff there was stuff a year or 2 before it really got ramped up. Not sure basketball had anything similar.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Have there been any rendering or drawing to peek at? Seemed like the football stuff there was stuff a year or 2 before it really got ramped up. Not sure basketball had anything similar.
                                Anything beyond the master plan plan I don't think that would not come until the developmental stage. That's where they would start identifying square footage needed and other particulars like exterior appearance.
                                Last edited by MontanaRabbit; 12-24-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X