Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice facility discussion

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I didn't see or hear the game live, but the addition of a practice facility is part of the general plan to update Frost Arena, the next big project on the sports wish list. The practice facility would be added on the south side of Frost, I believe. It's definitely needed.
    I would be surprised if Nagy was surprised by the mention of a practice facility.

Re: GDT: SDSU @ FGCU

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I didn't see or hear the game live, but the addition of a practice facility is part of the general plan to update Frost Arena, the next big project on the sports wish list. The practice facility would be added on the south side of Frost, I believe. It's definitely needed.
    I still like my idea. Renovate the barn into just a basketball practice facility. Update lockerrooms put in nice meeting rooms and weight and training area. Its got a lot of basketball history and to me would make the perfect place.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      I still like my idea. Renovate the barn into just a basketball practice facility. Update lockerrooms put in nice meeting rooms and weight and training area. Its got a lot of basketball history and to me would make the perfect place.
      It would be a cost vs benefit situation. The costs would be high since the building has been retrofitted many times since 1973. You would have to find relocation for all the present offices. Are the locker rooms still there?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        It would be a cost vs benefit situation. The costs would be high since the building has been retrofitted many times since 1973. You would have to find relocation for all the present offices. Are the locker rooms still there?
        If its not for baskeball its going to change or get updated or torn down eventually since its not a young building. Building a new building also is not cheap so your right. You can add more with new built but something about having the barn being dedicated as a basketball only place would be pretty cool. Guess I like older stuff more then new built but new recruits probably would rather have a new built gym.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

If its not for baskeball its going to change or get updated or torn down eventually since its not a young building. Building a new building also is not cheap so your right. You can add more with new built but something about having the barn being dedicated as a basketball only place would be pretty cool. Guess I like older stuff more then new built but new recruits probably would rather have a new built gym.
          I would think they also want to keep the athletic departments in the same area of campus.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            I would think they also want to keep the athletic departments in the same area of campus.
            Exactly. They want everything and everybody in the same area if not the same building.

Comment

GDT: SDSU @ FGCU

I think the biggest thing with using the barn, in addition to keeping all athletes in Frost, would be the inability to build just one set of locker rooms, etc. They'd essentially need to be remodeling the barn with updated facilities and doing the same in Frost. With an addition to Frost, not only would athletes be able to have everything under one roof, but the new addition could include practice space AND new locker rooms, team rooms, etc that the team could use on both practice and game days.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Hmmm ... a new practice facility for basketball. Hmmm. I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here. Donors and supporters have been asked to dig deep in recent years to help pay for ongoing operations and physical improvements. A good example is what is happening with football season tickets. Many fellow current season ticket holders are scratching their heads trying to figure out how to get tickets and pay the additional money for donations to keep and maintain their seats. Coaches have solicited donors to help to pay for their special programs in the various sports. Cost of Attendance is on the horizon and that won't be cheap. The average Jackrabbit fan finds it more difficult to purchase football season tickets and basketball season tickets. I'm not alone when I balk at spending $2,000 to $3,000 annually to attend the games. I appreciate the athletic department's desire to upgrade facilities. But, I also know that athletic programs are a lot like government - they have insatiable appetites. You just have to wonder how long you can continue to feed the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasbeen View Post
                  Hmmm ... a new practice facility for basketball. Hmmm. I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here. Donors and supporters have been asked to dig deep in recent years to help pay for ongoing operations and physical improvements. A good example is what is happening with football season tickets. Many fellow current season ticket holders are scratching their heads trying to figure out how to get tickets and pay the additional money for donations to keep and maintain their seats. Coaches have solicited donors to help to pay for their special programs in the various sports. Cost of Attendance is on the horizon and that won't be cheap. The average Jackrabbit fan finds it more difficult to purchase football season tickets and basketball season tickets. I'm not alone when I balk at spending $2,000 to $3,000 annually to attend the games. I appreciate the athletic department's desire to upgrade facilities. But, I also know that athletic programs are a lot like government - they have insatiable appetites. You just have to wonder how long you can continue to feed the beast.
                  It's like the national debt, we owe it to ourselves On a serious note you mention a number of challenges which everyone hopes will respond according to their ability. If not, then we have a crisis. It's interesting to note that all the suites at Dykhouse are all sold.

Comment

If you don't see the entertainment value don't buy season tickets.

Comment

It's a fairly simple answer. If you want to have teams that compete at a high level every year, the money has to be paid.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

You must have to buy more than 2 tickets if youre spending that much a year on season tickets. I spent a little over $1000 for both basketball and football for 2 tickets. Thats not including donation but thats up to you what you want to give. If you dont do the football premium seats, its not going to be $3000. I think people see the cost of the club and loge seats and get scared. I dont know what the regular season tickets will be but im sure it wont be a lot more than this year. But again, i dont know how many youre buying

Comment

Sorry for thr thread drift but let's face it. Our sports teams have been behind the eight ball for decades. Everything from football basketball and even my old tennis team used the hper for everything for practice and events and classes etc. Football and track needed the space so the sjac is perfect. The stadium was too old so we have a new football stadium. Basketball could still just practice in frost but like was said geting C0A. Imagine a shiny new or classic old renovated facility for recruits to look at. Get COA and new facility to practice in and coaches with great track records and pretty solid basketball fan support. A new facilty might just be the missing piece of the puzzel. Plus if frost get renovated it might not be as good of a practice area any more. Finally as a mid major basketball is the main focus for most. Something like that maybe takes us to the next level like getting votes in the top 25 and winning games in the tourny.

Comment

Sorry for thr thread drift but let's face it. Our sports teams have been behind the eight ball for decades. Everything from football basketball and even my old tennis team used the hper for everything for practice and events and classes etc. Football and track needed the space so the sjac is perfect. The stadium was too old so we have a new football stadium. Basketball could still just practice in frost but like was said geting C0A. Imagine a shiny new or classic old renovated facility for recruits to look at. Get COA and new facility to practice in and coaches with great track records and pretty solid basketball fan support. A new facilty might just be the missing piece of the puzzel. Plus if frost get renovated it might not be as good of a practice area any more. Finally as a mid major basketball is the main focus for most. Something like that maybe takes us to the next level like getting votes in the top 25 and winning games in the tourny.
                            Saying CAS is too old is like telling me that I am too old. As a student I was on hand to witness the first game at CAS in 1962.
                            If I recall correctly, CAS had structural problems and that is why it is now history and there are no regrets as far as I am concerned. Otherwise you post does make some good points to which I agree. I tend to think the that there are people who want this practice facility to happen and have offered commitments to build it. I don't know of anyone off hand who has done this, but basketball is king amongst SDSU fandom and if its next on the project board, then its going to happen. Those such as Has Been have expressed real concerns. For a while I shared his concern and felt I was being priced out of the market in terms of priority points etc, but I have a good feeling now about athletics at SDSU going into 2016. Sometimes we can get worked up about nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Saying CAS is too old is like telling me that I am too old. As a student I was on hand to witness the first game at CAS in 1962.
                              If I recall correctly, CAS had structural problems and that is why it is now history and there are no regrets as far as I am concerned. Otherwise you post does make some good points to which I agree. I tend to think the that there are people who want this practice facility to happen and have offered commitments to build it. I don't know of anyone off hand who has done this, but basketball is king amongst SDSU fandom and if its next on the project board, then its going to happen. Those such as Has Been have expressed real concerns. For a while I shared his concern and felt I was being priced out of the market in terms of priority points etc, but I have a good feeling now about athletics at SDSU going into 2016. Sometimes we can get worked up about nothing.
                              As far as cas being old, its not that say a facility or building is old at 50 years old but cas had no real functional life left and probably was limiting the income potential for the football team. As old as the arena is in sf it is just to small for some stuff but its still has a good life left and for now will serve a purpose.

Comment

Working...
                              X