Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alma Mater/Fight song

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    I thought yellow and blue was written by Niels Hansen.
    Maybe the words were but the music belongs to King.

Comment

Nidaros, Carl King did write a song dedicated to the college and I believe it was titled "South Dakota State College March." A music professor by the name of A.N. Haynes collaborated with N.E. Hansen in 1908 to produce "The Yellow and Blue."

Comment

Originally posted by Hasbeen View Post
        Nidaros, Carl King did write a song dedicated to the college and I believe it was titled "South Dakota State College March." A music professor by the name of A.N. Haynes collaborated with N.E. Hansen in 1908 to produce "The Yellow and Blue."
        Thanks I got it wrong, we don't hear the SDSC march much now days. I used to have an old 78 rpm record with the SDSC march on it. You are right about the Yellow and blue composition. I believe I am correct about Ring the Bell song. Is it more upbeat? I still prefer the old chorus of Yellow and Blue. I found the below quote on one of the websites for SDSU.

The Yellow and Blue was written by N.E. Hansen, a horticulture professor, with the help of Francis Haynes, a music professor, who put music to Hansen’s words. Ring the Bell was written by Ken Carpenter, a music professor, and Stan Schleuter ’61 as an entry in a contest sponsored by the Music Department. The purpose of the contest was to find a more upbeat fight song

Comment

Getting off topic a bit here but here is the wikipi on Karl King. He spells it with a K and not a C as I did in a prior post. Also among his compositions is the The University of North Dakota. The guy came from the circus but really cranked out the marches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_King

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I did not know we had an official alma mater song until this fall. I did now that way back when Carl Christiansen rounded up enough funds to commission the writing of the yellow and blue. Carl King, a well known bandmaster from U of Indiana was commissioned to write the Yellow and Blue, which has several verses. One verse is probably kind of touchy in this age in that we invite the Sioux Indian to sit down and smoke the peace pipe. I remember Micheal Rieger former VP at SDSU commented on this at one of the Alumni Council meetings as he had never seen the full text of the school song before and the full text happened to be in some handout materials. His comment was that times have changed and this was very outdated, though Carl King thought it appropriate back in 1913 or thereabouts when he composed the song. I glad they stop where they do went doing the Alma Mater.
            Ring the Bell was added some where in the mid 1950's and I remember when that was a very new song. The theme I heard was based on U of Chicago school song.
            Views on peoples evolve as time passes, hopefully for the better. I believe there is a stanza in the Star Spangled Banner which is uncomplimentary to the people of England and is thus, no longer sung.

And if I remember correctly, the University of Chicago based it on a song from Miami of Ohio.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
              Views on peoples evolve as time passes, hopefully for the better. I believe there is a stanza in the Star Spangled Banner which is uncomplimentary to the people of England and is thus, no longer sung.

And if I remember correctly, the University of Chicago based it on a song from Miami of Ohio.
              I thought it was from wave the flag for old chicago.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I thought it was from wave the flag for old chicago.
                You win the prize, and apparently there is no copy right on this piece of music or there would have been a law suit years ago. It hard to say how long ago U of Chicago adopted this for their school song. Maybe as West River suggested they in turn borrowed the melody from Miami of Ohio.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u60sriWeQOs

In fact I found this on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ7jYHuPIZE

We are not very original using this melody, but who am I to say this?
                Last edited by Nidaros; 12-17-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I love the words in our alma mater first chorus...get emotional every time I hear the choir sing it, and or try to go along myself. Color me sentimental, but it describes where our Yellow and Blue comes from so well, and just makes me proud to wear SDSU colors (OK, so I am getting a little old!) The one suggestion I have (which I will follow up on) is that they show the words on the football scoreboard when it is played, as very few of our students, OR grads, know the words. We were small enough in the '50s that the students were more aware of it, but I understand that time has taken its toll. Hopefully we can get it back on the agenda!

Comment

Working...
                  X