SDSU President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU President

Anybody have an idea how much North Dakota spent on the hiring process for their new president? It would be interesting to compare our numbers to a peer institution in a peer state that hired a new president just weeks before us.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Just because $100k is "a lot" to some people doesn't mean it's out of line. I marvel how people can have such strong opinions about something they obviously have no clue about.
      How many people on here said it was out of line? I dont think 1 single post said that. Maybe I missed it. I dont know why some people get so bent out of shape when someone thinks 100K is a lot. My first post said they probably had a lot of expenses for the consulting firm. I would have no idea and I doubt you do either how many people and how many hours were actually put into it. Not sure why you are making such a big deal out of something thats clearly not. Not sure what you mean by strong opinion anyway? seems like your taking a poke at people for no reason. for me 100K is a lot of money, more they what I would have thought. If thats a strong opionion I don't know what to tell you. It doesnt bother me or I am guessing many others on here it was 100K. maybe it bothers Kelo more so thats why they were reporting on it. Maybe you should ask Angela K if she thinks 100k is too much for consultants. or if she gets how it works......
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        How many people on here said it was out of line? I dont think 1 single post said that. Maybe I missed it. I dont know why some people get so bent out of shape when someone thinks 100K is a lot. My first post said they probably had a lot of expenses for the consulting firm. I would have no idea and I doubt you do either how many people and how many hours were actually put into it. Not sure why you are making such a big deal out of something thats clearly not. Not sure what you mean by strong opinion anyway? seems like your taking a poke at people for no reason. for me 100K is a lot of money, more they what I would have thought. If thats a strong opionion I don't know what to tell you. It doesnt bother me or I am guessing many others on here it was 100K. maybe it bothers Kelo more so thats why they were reporting on it. Maybe you should ask Angela K if she thinks 100k is too much for consultants. or if she gets how it works......

I'll direct you to this post right here:

I think I might need to make a career change. If a consultant firm gets that sort of money, they must have crazy big expenses or everyone gets paid really well.
        One can reason from this post that you think the charges are really high since you want to think about a career change and are assuming they have "crazy big expenses" or everyone makes bank.

I simply responded with this question:

Explain why you think that's a lot?
        My whole point with that question (which you still haven't answered other than saying "it seems high") is to figure out why you think they must have "crazy big expenses" or how you determined their employees make incredible sums of money. The only way to determine that stuff is to understand the scope of services and the duration of the contract. I surely don't know that but I can also reason that the $100k may not be that much of a stretch for the services received.

Big difference between a $100k contract that lasts a week (or two) compared to a contract that lasts 4 months.

Comment

I think about that too how we had Dean Nichols for so long. If she hadnt left for Whyoming I would have put money on it should would have be a top choice for SDSU along with Dunn.
          Don't be to sure about that.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
            Don't be to sure about that.
            Why wouldn't she have been? She filled in at dsu and wyoming thinks she is qualified.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I'll direct you to this post right here:

One can reason from this post that you think the charges are really high since you want to think about a career change and are assuming they have "crazy big expenses" or everyone makes bank.

I simply responded with this question:

My whole point with that question (which you still haven't answered other than saying "it seems high") is to figure out why you think they must have "crazy big expenses" or how you determined their employees make incredible sums of money. The only way to determine that stuff is to understand the scope of services and the duration of the contract. I surely don't know that but I can also reason that the $100k may not be that much of a stretch for the services received.

Big difference between a $100k contract that lasts a week (or two) compared to a contract that lasts 4 months.
              Maybe you didn't read where I answered it and I am not going to get sucked into a back and forth when I have no problem with the amount. Again not sure why you keep making an issue out of something that isn't. My last post on the topic. Carry on aimlessly if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                How much would a bad hire cost?
                Do you remember the Dean of Engineering who got hired with degrees in Forestry. SDSU nearly lost their accredation. Thanks to wise hiring of Hilton Briggs, he acted swiftly and shortly there after our accredation was restored. Recall of this makes the 100k a very wise expenditure.

Comment

Mel Manning - 'Timber engineer" (yuk yuk)

Comment

Nebraska spent $188,000 to hire an aggie from within. Different search firm. Article drills down to what they ate.
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I think about that too how we had Dean Nichols for so long. If she hadnt left for Whyoming I would have put money on it should would have be a top choice for SDSU along with Dunn.
                      Who knows? I agree Provost Nichols would have been an excellent SDSU President. But she was in a position to read the tea leaves. Maybe it was clear that Dean Dunn was going to be the internal candidate. I'm happy for President Nichols and Wyoming. She'll be fantastic there and that university is also getting Tim Nichols (hopefully in some official capacity) who was a wonderful Honors Dean at SDSU.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Mel Manning - 'Timber engineer" (yuk yuk)
                        No, Marco from Vermont. What a guy. Melvin cleaned up the mess. VJ Smith does not talk about these troubled times in "College on Hill. Howard Kramer did a full discussion of this in his History of SDSU,1884-1975.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 05-19-2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

OOPS! Thanks N!

Comment

My last post on the topic.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              Any relation to Harvey?
                              Now that's an excellent question to which you might know the answer. I was just reading the most current edition of the STATE magazine which included 20 questions about President Barry Dunn and his student days. In one of the answers he mentions that President Barry Dunn was often called "Harv" back then and he is very fond of that nickname. He said something to the affect that whenever he walked in a room he often heard "Hi Harv". I don't think these people would do this now that he is ichi bun at SDSU or maybe they would and everyone would get chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                              X