Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU President

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
    You can get some insight into Barry Dunn's thinking from this episode of the Justin Sell Show.
    Thanks. That's encouraging.
    This space for lease.

Comment

I saw this on Facebook, and it was the first I'd heard/read about it, as it predates my time at SDSU by two years.

Ten years ago when President Chicoine was eventually hired, The Collegian staff got a court order that allowed them to sit in on interviews. Pretty cool.

http://southdakotapolitics.blogs.com..._judge_ru.html
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't know much about the other three candidates, but Barry Dunn is top-notch. When I worked there I was struck by the fact that he's a caring human being in addition to being an outstanding administrator and leader. That's a rare combination. I hope Dean Dunn is the choice.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I see three engineers and an ag guy. I'm biased (civil engineering degree from, you know) but that seems like a really good start on a good hire.

Edit: From cursory review of links provided by "THE PRIDE IS BACK!!!" upthread, I'd say my gut-feeling favorites would be, in approximate order: Rankin, Dunn, Mason, Toro.

Now, mind that this is a first-glance gut reaction without benefit of sufficient information or personal knowledge of any of the candidates (in other words, not worth the paper it's not even written on).
          Last edited by filbert; 04-19-2016, 12:53 PM.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

UNL just went with an aggie to fill its chancellor position. He came from within the university. State could follow a very similar path. I like the idea and agree with the Lincoln paper's take on the importance of ag expertise leading the university. Barry Dunn's reputation across agriculture is outstanding. It's common to hear comments like, "I can't believe you guys got him." I hope we keep him -- and at a higher level of responsibility.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I was lucky enough to sit in on the Q&A sessions with all four candidates over the past two days. Let me start by saying any of the four would do a tremendous job. They all understand the value and the role of being a Land Grant University. Each had a "rags to riches" story and their state education played a role in that. I'm not sure we can go wrong. The search committee and recruting firm assembled four amazing candidates.

Dean Dunn: Always so humble although he seemed nervous. Has the connections already built and would create stability both on campus and with our external stakeholders. Was unclear about his vision for the future. Wants to be more encompassing with our next Master Plan with 2018 expiring soon.

Dr. Toro: Tremendous energy and humor. May have a tough time relating with our stakeholders but has a vision and plan of what she would like to do and accomplish at SDSU. Well researched as to who we are and what we do. Students would love her.

Dr. Mason: Chicoine 2.0. Very budget concious and very aware of being good stewards of public funding. Every program needs to provide justification for its existance through some measureable outcome. Seems to have great connections nationally with political and industrial leaders. May be tough to work with... not sure, but that was just the first impression I got.

Dr. Rankin: Very friendly and seems very humble. Great connections in industry and government. Really emphasized imprtance of collaboration internally and externally. Really a likable guy. Also has a strong background and understanding of economics and resource development. Allows the experts to be the experts, he will be their champion. Originally from Ft. Pierre and a graduate of SDSM&T.

Again, I don't think we can go wrong. Like I said, Dr. Mason is the most like President Chicione and that is a good and bad thing. The others would bring a different energy to campus. We will find out which direction the regents go very quickly.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                I was lucky enough to sit in on the Q&A sessions with all four candidates over the past two days. Let me start by saying any of the four would do a tremendous job. They all understand the value and the role of being a Land Grant University. Each had a "rags to riches" story and their state education played a role in that. I'm not sure we can go wrong. The search committee and recruting firm assembled four amazing candidates.

Dean Dunn: Always so humble although he seemed nervous. Has the connections already built and would create stability both on campus and with our external stakeholders. Was unclear about his vision for the future. Wants to be more encompassing with our next Master Plan with 2018 expiring soon.

Dr. Toro: Tremendous energy and humor. May have a tough time relating with our stakeholders but has a vision and plan of what she would like to do and accomplish at SDSU. Well researched as to who we are and what we do. Students would love her.

Dr. Mason: Chicoine 2.0. Very budget concious and very aware of being good stewards of public funding. Every program needs to provide justification for its existance through some measureable outcome. Seems to have great connections nationally with political and industrial leaders. May be tough to work with... not sure, but that was just the first impression I got.

Dr. Rankin: Very friendly and seems very humble. Great connections in industry and government. Really emphasized imprtance of collaboration internally and externally. Really a likable guy. Also has a strong background and understanding of economics and resource development. Allows the experts to be the experts, he will be their champion. Originally from Ft. Pierre and a graduate of SDSM&T.

Again, I don't think we can go wrong. Like I said, Dr. Mason is the most like President Chicione and that is a good and bad thing. The others would bring a different energy to campus. We will find out which direction the regents go very quickly.

Thanks, WestSideRabbit. Appreciate the insight. Really glad to hear we should be in good hands regardless.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Was Chicoine difficult to work with?
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    Was Chicoine difficult to work with?
                    Not difficult. The 2.0 comment stems from there understanding and use of economics.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

As a college president, you are expected to attend functions on practically every night. Otherwise you hear the whispers, "Where is the president?" It requires an incredible commitment. The SDSU presidency is one of the top jobs in state government; probably second only to that of Governor. I hope Barry Dunn is the new president. He has the right stuff.

Comment

I don't know if it's official yet, but I'm hearing that Dunn is the choice.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

It is official now. Dr. Dunn

Comment

It's done and it's Dunn.

Comment

I think that's a good choice.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by NDB View Post
                                It's done and it's Dunn.
                                Any relation to Harvey?

Comment

Working...
                                X