SDSU President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU President

Looks like we'll be getting a new president at SDSU next year.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c..._KELOLAND_News
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: SDSU President

Didnt really see that one coming but not surprised.

Wonder who is going to make the short list for the new president. Gonna have big shoes to fill for sure.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Press release issued BY SDSU

Chicoine Announces Plans to ‘Step Away’ from SDSU Presidency
      PIERRE, S.D. – David L. Chicoine, Ph.D., president of South Dakota State University since 2007, will leave the position of president on or around July 1, 2016, or as soon as a new president is hired and assumes office, the South Dakota Board of Regents said. Chicoine, the third alumnus to serve as South Dakota State president, will continue as a faculty member within the university’s Department of Economics.

“Under David Chicoine’s strong leadership, South Dakota State University has flourished as the state’s oldest land-grant institution and a nationally-recognized institution of excellence in academics, research, and service to its state and community,” said Regents President Randy Schaefer. “President Chicoine has set SDSU on a strong path going forward. We thank him for his dedication as president and look forward to his continuing service to our state as a member of the SDSU academic community.”

Schaefer said the Board of Regents will announce soon a presidential search process and timeline for securing Chicoine’s successor.

Accomplishments during Chicoine’s tenure as president include strategic planning, strengthening academic programs, developing new degree programs, growth in research capabilities and expenditures, transformation of the main campus in Brookings, notable success in NCAA Division I athletics, and completion of the largest fund-raising campaign for education in South Dakota history.

Chicoine, in a letter to the South Dakota Board of Regents, noted the direction of the university and its continued role as a gateway to the future for students.

“The opportunity to serve as president of the state’s 1862 land-grant university has been extremely rewarding,” Chicoine said. “Through the efforts of many individuals, we have achieved milestones and celebrated success. But the time is right for my wife, Marcia, and me to enjoy the next stage of our lives. The university is in a good place and moving in a good direction with a core of experienced leaders in place. Together, we will continue to make progress, provide a quality academic setting where students come to realize their dreams, and provide a seamless transition for the next president to implement a shared vision and new aspirations moving forward.”

Atop the list of Chicoine’s accomplishments as president is IMPACT 2018, the current university strategic plan. The plan was implemented in 2013 after a 14-month collaborative process that shaped the direction of the university as a comprehensive teaching and research public institution of higher education.

Key indicators of the plan are the number of nationally accredited programs – a mark of academic excellence – and number of graduates. Accredited programs, targeted to reach 42 by the conclusion of IMPACT 2018, increased the first two years of the plan from 32 to 37. Included are 20 programs seeking first-time accreditation. Last spring marked the fourth consecutive year that more than 1,800 students received their undergraduate degree from SDSU – an increase of more than 125 students annually from previous years. Students receiving their Ph.D. awards increased as well, registering a record 47 in 2014, up from 21 in 2008.

South Dakota State also has enjoyed tremendous growth in research activity under Chicoine’s leadership. Total research expenditures increased by about $30 million annually and intellectual property disclosures grew from less than 10 in 2007 to an average of 46 in the last five years.

With university leadership, Chicoine spearheaded the development of a residential life and dining services master plan, an athletic facilities master plan, and the 2025 Design and Master Plan that resulted in seven new residence halls, allowing for expansion of living-learning communities across campus. A new Architecture, Mathematics and Engineering Building, the Avera Health and Science Center, Daktronics Engineering Hall, Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex, a comprehensive classroom enhancement project, and improvements to the Alfred Dairy Science Hall and Davis Dairy Plant mark some of the physical transformation under Chicoine’s tenure. In addition, the Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium is set to open for the 2016 football season. Altogether, more than $400 million in capital projects have been implemented.

Chicoine was a champion in the record-setting $255 million comprehensive fundraising campaign, “It Starts with State: A Campaign for South Dakota State University.” The campaign eclipsed its $200 million goal, raising money to strengthen student opportunities, faculty, athletics, 15 new capital projects, and other university programs.

Athletic success has flourished in the past several years as well. Jackrabbit student-athletes have posted a cumulative GPA above 3.0 each year since the university completed its transition to full NCAA Division I membership in 2008. During that time, 18 teams have qualified for NCAA national competitions, led by six tournament appearances in women’s basketball.

Prior to his appointment as SDSU president, Chicoine served the University of Illinois for more than 30 years, first as a professor of agricultural economics and on the Institute of Government and Public Affairs faculty, then as a department head and dean, and finally as vice president for technology and economic development.

A native of Elk Point, Chicoine is a policy economist in state and local public finance and regional economics. He earned a bachelor’s degree in agribusiness from South Dakota State University in 1969, master’s degrees in economics from the University of Delaware and agricultural economics from Western Illinois University, and a Ph.D. in agricultural economics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is an accomplished scholar, with more than 100 publications and has earned numerous awards and recognitions.

Chicoine has been active in the larger community, serving on the board of directors of Growth Partnership Ltd., a public-private partnership to develop the Research Park at South Dakota State University, and on the board of managers of South Dakota Innovation Partners LLC, a company that provides pre-seed/seed capital and business development services to launch research-derived, technology-based startups. He is an independent director on the Monsanto Co. board, an external director on the First Bank and Trust board, and a trustee on the Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center board.

Comment

As an absentee alum, I don't know how any one could have done a better job to furthur higher education in South Dakota, and what a wonderful opportunity we have before us to advance SDSU's future. Thanks Dr.!! I'm all in!

Comment

Stig for president!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

What President Chicoine has done for SDSU is hard to grasp. I hope they allow him a voice to stay engaged with the future of the University after he is done. I also wish he and Marcia have many happy years of relatively quiet retirement. God speed President Chicoine!

Comment

My best wishes to President Chicoine. He has been very aggressive in getting things done and perhaps that was needed at SDSU. Hopefully his successor will continue his leadership style.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                Stig for president!

Why not?? He has a tough skin. You can be fooled by that country kid smile, but there is toughness of a Jim Tressell underneath.

Comment

President Chicoine has been an excellent president. He has been the right guy at the right time.

That said, the two driving forces that changed the face of SDSU were: 1) The SDSU Foundation; 2) The move to Division 1.

Comment

I was at least half serious. He's a great man and great with people

Comment

This isn't a huge surprise and I think the timing is right. He's got to be in his late 60's and he's no doubt financially very comfortable. SDSU is in a very comfortable place academically and even more so athletically. He's been here 10 years which is a relatively long time (I think) for a university President at a state institution.

Make the decision early, contribute to finding a replacement and bask in the glory of a successful Presidency while enjoying retirement. Seems damn near perfect to me.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It looks like to me, he is going to stay on at SDSU.

Take a Semester Leave of Absence, and then start working as a Professor in the Econ department. If I read that correctly.

My hats off to the good Dr. He has done a great job, and set SDSU down a path for more great things.
                        (also: this was not a surprise, many staff members knew that he was probably leaving the end of the 15-16 school year).

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          It looks like to me, he is going to stay on at SDSU.

Take a Semester Leave of Absence, and then start working as a Professor in the Econ department. If I read that correctly.

My hats off to the good Dr. He has done a great job, and set SDSU down a path for more great things.
                          (also: this was not a surprise, many staff members knew that he was probably leaving the end of the 15-16 school year).
                          I'm not sure how much teaching he will be doing has a staff member. I think this is "retirement" for him. He isn't the type to spend his days on the golf course or fishing boat, at least that's not my impression.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

In the press release by the Board of Regents, it quotes Board President, Randy Schaefer, as saying " ... South Dakota State University has flourished as the state's oldest land-grant institution ... ". Quite the statement coming out of the top office in Pierre as SDSU is the state's only land-grant institution even though there are moments that our friends to the south have tried to capture this title as their own.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              I'm not sure how much teaching he will be doing has a staff member. I think this is "retirement" for him. He isn't the type to spend his days on the golf course or fishing boat, at least that's not my impression.
                              He still has his second job with Monsantos(??) doesn't he? If he can do that job and make $200,000+ while he is the president of a DI University, he could keep that as a part time job and still have a bunch of free time.
                              I don't know much about golfing or in a boat but I know he had a cabin on Lake Poinset. The first year he was at SDSU he went the the end of the fiscal year party for career service employees. I didn't see him there after that and now they don't have that party anymore but he was only there briefly because he was going to his cabin at the lake.

Comment

Working...
                              X