Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri Valley possible implosion

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/...l-fit/36869960

It looks like Wichita State is planning to depart the Missouri Valley Conference. Let's be honest: That's not much of a conference without WSU. You have to wonder if some of those Valley schools might be looking for a new home once their conference becomes "UNI and those other guys." Having been around WSU for almost three years now, I can say that the fact that it's in the news at all probably means it is a done deal. WSU basketball runs things here, and when the President of the university is talking about it, I'm guessing it's on. Let's speculate...
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Missouri Valley possible implosion

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/...l-fit/36869960

It looks like Wichita State is planning to depart the Missouri Valley Conference. Let's be honest: That's not much of a conference without WSU. You have to wonder if some of those Valley schools might be looking for a new home once their conference becomes "UNI and those other guys." Having been around WSU for almost three years now, I can say that the fact that it's in the news at all probably means it is a done deal. WSU basketball runs things here, and when the President of the university is talking about it, I'm guessing it's on. Let's speculate...
    There's mention of starting up football too. Do you think they would do that? Obviously that's a tall order.

Comment

If they continue to play as well as the BB team is, you'd have to think that they'd eventually like to move to the Big 12.

But, they would need to start a FB program...and that could be tough.

The Mo. Valley teams are ripe to be scooped up by one of the bigger conferences.

Comment

I think the other nine will stick together,but it wouldn't hurt for the comish to send out invitations,would be nice to add one or two.I might just be paranoid, but to me there's something to be said about "strength in numbers" (as in members) now a days.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          There's mention of starting up football too. Do you think they would do that? Obviously that's a tall order.
          My sense on football is that the people in athletics that I have talked to would like to push to create an FCS program. The president, however, has it in his mind that WSU is "first class" and shouldn't "settle" for FCS. So if somebody can convince the president to change his mind, FCS and MVFC as a target makes perfect sense. But I have yet to see anyone convince the president here at WSU to change his mind on anything.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
            If they continue to play as well as the BB team is, you'd have to think that they'd eventually like to move to the Big 12.

But, they would need to start a FB program...and that could be tough.

The Mo. Valley teams are ripe to be scooped up by one of the bigger conferences.
            I can't see any route to the Big 12 here. The American Athletic Conference is their target and they don't need football for that. I think the football talk, honestly, is just a smoke screen.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I realize it's early and just one year, but the Summit is actually ranked two spots higher than the MVC this season. I would say as a whole the Summit is trending up while the MVC is trending down.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...rating-by-conf

Don't get me wrong, the MVC would be cool to get into, but its not quite the jump that it used to be.

Comment

I can't see any route to the Big 12 here. The American Athletic Conference is their target and they don't need football for that. I think the football talk, honestly, is just a smoke screen.
                I can see that, and you are obviously in a position to know.

I was just thinking out loud, that IF they did start a FB program...they would fit well in the big 12.

But with many schools cutting FB just to go D1 or stay D1 (UAB), it seems odd that WSU would be able to "start" a program, fresh. That's a HUUUGE undertaking.

Comment

The Summit could be the new MVC in the next couple of years. The Summit has improved just about every year since the XDSU's have joined. Then you add in a USD program that is on the rise. I'd say stay in the Summit. The conference tournament is in Brookings backyard and will always be full of SDSU fans. It's the easiest path to NCAA Tournament. And you never know, the Summit could become a 2 bid league like the current MVC if every team continues to get better.

BTW, the Summit League is now ranked #10 in the country with only a couple weeks before conference play begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I realize it's early and just one year, but the Summit is actually ranked two spots higher than the MVC this season. I would say as a whole the Summit is trending up while the MVC is trending down.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...rating-by-conf

Don't get me wrong, the MVC would be cool to get into, but its not quite the jump that it used to be.
                    IMO, by the time the MVC gets around to inviting a Dakota school, our present situation will be as good or better than what the MVC offers. Its crazy talk at this point, but if WSU leaves there could be a decent case made to merge the MVC and Summit.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                      IMO, by the time the MVC gets around to inviting a Dakota school, our present situation will be as good or better than what the MVC offers. Its crazy talk at this point, but if WSU leaves there could be a decent case made to merge the MVC and Summit.
                      I was thinking the same thing. The only thing is I suppose we would see some sort of a rotating schedule due to increased teams? Not sure if I'm all for that but might not be all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                        I can see that, and you are obviously in a position to know.

I was just thinking out loud, that IF they did start a FB program...they would fit well in the big 12.

But with many schools cutting FB just to go D1 or stay D1 (UAB), it seems odd that WSU would be able to "start" a program, fresh. That's a HUUUGE undertaking.
                        The president always throws around $100 million when he talks about football. He wants to build a new stadium and I can see that. We have one, but it's not in great shape after decades of neglect. This campus needs football, though, I think most people would agree. WSU is trying to transition from a commuter, urban campus into more of a traditional residential campus. To keep kids around, you need things to happen. Football would be great and given the support the basketball team gets, it would be very likely to draw nice crowds.

That said, I don't think it's at all likely.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          A selective merger was something I thought of immediately. Cherry-pick the best of both conferences and make one exceptionally tough middle of the country mid-major conference. SDSU, USD, NDSU, UNI, ORU, WIU, ISUr, ISUb, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Bradley, Omaha?
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

A selective merger was something I thought of immediately. Cherry-pick the best of both conferences and make one exceptionally tough middle of the country mid-major conference. SDSU, USD, NDSU, UNI, ORU, WIU, ISUr, ISUb, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Bradley, Omaha?
                            I'd perfer all the schools in the conference have BB and FB so maybe throw in North Dakota and throw out Omaha. Not sure of Bradley's FB situation.
                            Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

I keep seeing mention of our RPI. How much will that drop when we start conference play?
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                              X