Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Change in Priority Points for Gifts to the Jackrabbit Club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Change in Priority Points for Gifts to the Jackrabbit Club.

Sometime in the past month, I received a letter from the Athletic Development Office with my Priority Points Statement.

Apparently they made a change in awarding priority points that just made me totally livid. I emailed Keith Mehlum since I have known him the longest of anyone involved in fundraising. This change involves points awarded for each 100 dollars donated. If you give it directly in an undesignated fashion to the Jackrabbit Club, you will receive 2 points. If you give 100 dollars to an endowed scholarship fund in your name, or to a capital projects or excellence funds, you receive 1 point. If I recall correctly both sources of designations were equal to receiving 1 point.

It took attending a funeral for a gentleman who had lived for 101 years on the face of this earth to bring me back to my normal sanity. My thoughts during this funeral, was that of wondering if I would live that long, age 101. This man had lived a quiet gentle life who took good care of himself and never ate too much or over indulge in anything, so my chances are slim to none that I will live that long.

Once home, I started looking more closely to the neatly prepared Priority Points Statement. I noticed that I had 1975 points accumulated since they started the priority system, which was when they replaced the bleachers courtside with back chairs and court side seats at Frost Arena. Also my ranking is 72 out of 7495. The 7495 number really got me thinking about the progress and growth in the Jackrabbit Club since Justin Sell became AD. There has been real progress in increasing the number of donors and their individual gifts. I don’t have any numbers other than what has been published in the BOR reports. I am certain that the volume of dollars raised has increased.

Here I am worried about some young wiper-snapper with a good job contributing more than I do to the Jackrabbit Club. At age 74, my days are numbered and with controllable health issues I am able to attend athletic events at SDSU for now. What can I say about five, ten or fifteen years down the road? All of the sudden, priority points did not seem to matter that much. I think I have enough.

At the Legends level of $25,000, per year someone starting out with their first donation would have to give for at least 19 or 20 years to catch up with my total.

After calming down, I can see only good coming from this change in awarding priority points. I would hope this would be an incentive for those trying to acquire enough priority points to get a decent seat at athletic events. Give what you can. Donations to the Jackrabbit Club now count double of what they did before.

Btw, I did email an apology to Keith. He is indeed a good guy and a good listener.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 12-01-2015, 09:34 PM.

Re: A Change in Priority Points for Gifts to the Jackrabbit Club.

So do you get a point for every $100 donated and 1 point for every consecutive year of being a season ticket holder in revenue sports and also 1 point for each consecutive year of donations?
    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I thought it was always 2 points for every $100. That is what I remember in my 10 years of donating to the Jackrabbit Club. I could be wrong and I really haven't paid close attention.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
        So do you get a point for every $100 donated and 1 point for every consecutive year of being a season ticket holder in revenue sports and also 1 point for each consecutive year of donations?
        Link to the point system
        http://www.nmnathletics.com/ViewArti...CLID=209869942

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
          Yes one point and one point per sport for which you hold season tickets. I am season ticket holder for basketball and football so would get two points, and not sure how it works when I have four seats for basketball. Like I said I got more points then I will ever need.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            I thought it was always 2 points for every $100. That is what I remember in my 10 years of donating to the Jackrabbit Club. I could be wrong and I really haven't paid close attention.
            You may be correct, in which case they downgraded the value of Other athletic funds. I don't have any old sheets handy either. The fact that I contribute to Other Athletic Funds was what pushed my hot button.

Comment

What are the actual perks the points provide? My family got a letter too but didn't read through it. We are somewhere in the middle of the pack it seemed.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                What are the actual perks the points provide? My family got a letter too but didn't read through it. We are somewhere in the middle of the pack it seemed.
                More points=choosing your seat (season ticket holder) sooner & better chance at away playoff tickets (eg Playoff game at NDSU).

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Speaking of families and priority points, how does that all work? I graduated 5 years ago, and between my father and I, we have 4 football season tickets. I pay for half, he pays for half, and he gets all of the priority points. Are those eventually passed down to me, so it doesn't matter? Seems better that they're all under 1 name so we get more points combined, instead of splitting them into 2 accounts. But, if I lose all those points someday, then I should probably have a separate account.

I'm surprised that one of the FAQ aren't "What happens to my priority points when I pass?".

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    Speaking of families and priority points, how does that all work? I graduated 5 years ago, and between my father and I, we have 4 football season tickets. I pay for half, he pays for half, and he gets all of the priority points. Are those eventually passed down to me, so it doesn't matter? Seems better that they're all under 1 name so we get more points combined, instead of splitting them into 2 accounts. But, if I lose all those points someday, then I should probably have a separate account.

I'm surprised that one of the FAQ aren't "What happens to my priority points when I pass?".

This is an interesting question? First of all you are right in allowing one person accumulate the points. As far as passing these points on an heir, I don't think that is allowable. I was about to tap out an email to Brian Brunner and this was one of my questions. I know in Huskerland I heard stories about reserve seats being in their personal will, but I think that could get complicated. I will find out and report back here.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

Good question. we are the same, the season tickets were always under my parents account and name, but we had,4 then 5 tickets. I have only gotten individual games tickets so no points and no donations under my name that count for points so sort of in the same boat. That might be a good question to ask, if say eventually they can transfer thier account under your name maybe? I would guess they would say points and accounts are not transferable though. I would guess its a lot easier to order seasons tickets under one account for most people/families.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        This is an interesting question? First of all you are right in allowing one person accumulate the points. As far as passing these points on an heir, I don't think that is allowable. I was about to tap out an email to Brian Brunner and this was one of my questions. I know in Huskerland I heard stories about reserve seats being in their personal will, but I think that could get complicated. I will find out and report back here.
                        That would be great if you could get an answer. If they can't be transferred at all, another question I would have is: can we split into 2 accounts, then combine our points when it comes to purchasing tickets? This would seem like the 2nd best option, as we would still have a decent amount of points combined, and when he passes, I wouldn't be left out to dry in terms of all the money I have put in over the years. I mean, I'm 25 and he's 51, so god willing there is a lot of time left for us to be buying season tickets together, but it doesn't seem right that say he passes at 86, I'll be 60 and sitting with no points after contributing half for 38 years.

Comment

My brother and I both have season tickets for football. He makes donations and purchases and so do I. He is a couple of hundred positions ahead of me. In order for us to get our football seats together, he has to pass when his turn comes up and wait for my turn. Then we both select together to get our tickets together.
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

My question and comments to Brian Brunner

Are priority points transferable to another person? I have a feeling the answer is no, but I wanted to find out. Nebraska policy I have not read, but have heard stories about rights to season tickets being part of a holders personal will. It seems like it would get complicated and involved legally. Does SDSU have a policy regarding transfer of priority points? It seems like this would be something that SDSU should clearly disclose.

Brian's Answer:

With the priority points mailing, one of the goals was to see what kinds of questions would come out of this and I've heard from a couple of folks regarding if and how points could be transferred either from businesses or from parents. In the case of someone having two accounts (one for their business and one for their personal), we can and have combined those at the donor's request.

In the case of a parent and children, unfortunately points accrued cannot be willed or transferred. What we can do and have done in a few instances is utilize soft credit. For instance, one of our donors living out of state donates annually to the Jackrabbit Club, but wants her parents to receive credit. The actual donor is the only person to receive the tax benefit (per IRS regulations), but the parents receive the Jackrabbit Club benefits and points associated with the gift.

As this question has come up a few more times, I think we'll probably seek to address it or clarify on the priority points web page as you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              My question and comments to Brian Brunner

Are priority points transferable to another person? I have a feeling the answer is no, but I wanted to find out. Nebraska policy I have not read, but have heard stories about rights to season tickets being part of a holders personal will. It seems like it would get complicated and involved legally. Does SDSU have a policy regarding transfer of priority points? It seems like this would be something that SDSU should clearly disclose.

Brian's Answer:

With the priority points mailing, one of the goals was to see what kinds of questions would come out of this and I've heard from a couple of folks regarding if and how points could be transferred either from businesses or from parents. In the case of someone having two accounts (one for their business and one for their personal), we can and have combined those at the donor's request.

In the case of a parent and children, unfortunately points accrued cannot be willed or transferred. What we can do and have done in a few instances is utilize soft credit. For instance, one of our donors living out of state donates annually to the Jackrabbit Club, but wants her parents to receive credit. The actual donor is the only person to receive the tax benefit (per IRS regulations), but the parents receive the Jackrabbit Club benefits and points associated with the gift.

As this question has come up a few more times, I think we'll probably seek to address it or clarify on the priority points web page as you suggest.
                              So basically you're looking at a choice: 1. Leave it all under one account to accrue more points together and reap the benefits while you can. 2. Separate the accounts so that the younger one isn't left out to dry with no points when the older one passes.

Comment

Working...
                              X