2015 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Season

I'm posting this more as a therapeutic exercise than anything else, but I just wanted to write down my feelings on the season.

I think that we are starting to see the thought process of the fans change. We are no longer satisfied by just making the playoffs. We have high expectations. The same staff that we criticize, including myself, are the ones that put the work in to set the bar to it's new heights.

This season has had its moments of high points (FBS win, Shellacing of SUU), but also low points (seemingly unmotivated players, play calling). Over all, I would call it a good season that could have been great.

Looking forward to next year:

*The offense could be dynamic with TC taking over the first team. We burned the red shirt this year, we can't waste another year of eligibility.

*Have to find someone to make plays opposite of Jake in the receiving game. The lack of consistency out of the TE spot needs to be addressed.

*Opening up the playbook to utilize the team's strengths will be key. A talented QB and WR should not be wasted with draws and off tackle for 2 yards.

This team will only go as far as the staff allows them. I'm not calling for anyone to lose jobs, but we can't have games lost because the players were not put in the best position.

I'm already excited to watch every game next year, I just don't want to have that bad taste left in my mouth after games any longer.

Ahh...I feel much better....bring on the Gophers Tuesday!
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Re: 2015 Season

This statement: "The lack of consistency out of the TE spot needs to be addressed.", I'll have to disagree. Goedert was a stud, he is a nightmare matchup for LB's and safeties.

Stat line: 26 rec, 484 yds, 18.6 ypc, 3 yds and 40.3 ypg. I'd say those are good numbers and exactly what you'd want for production out of that position. Dallas also seems to be a more than capable blocker too.

Not worried about that position next year, barring injury of course. There a few guys in the fold too that could step up also.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
      This statement: "The lack of consistency out of the TE spot needs to be addressed.", I'll have to disagree. Goedert was a stud, he is a nightmare matchup for LB's and safeties. Not worried about that position next year, barring injury of course.
      I agree; but I wonder about the other TE's with Jones being done, because we haven't seen much from the others. Greeneway's similar to Jones and Goedert in size. Anyone know whether he has similar skills/ability?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
        I agree; but I wonder about the other TE's with Jones being done, because we haven't seen much from the others. Greeneway's similar to Jones and Goedert in size. Anyone know whether he has similar skills/ability?
        There are a few in the fold, unproven though. I'd never expected anything from Goedert honestly, what a surprise he's been. Greenway I don't know much about, perhaps a Buck fan can speak of that. Steckman would seem the next man up in the combo receiving TE/blocker. The team as a whole does well in replenishing that position. Vejvoda returns also I believe. Punishing blocker, not sure where he went this season. Injured? Or just not enough time to spread around?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          I guess the stats say otherwise than my thinking. I guess I just don't recall them having the big games that our TEs have in the past. Seems that for them always being a nightmare matchup that their use in short yardage/goal line situations was lost on me.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

We could have used the TE more this year the middle of the field was wide open much of the time with the double teams that JW saw. When we ran TE seams donwing the hashes they were usually with good results but IMO should have been used more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              There are a few in the fold, unproven though. I'd never expected anything from Goedert honestly, what a surprise he's been. Greenway I don't know much about, perhaps a Buck fan can speak of that. Steckman would seem the next man up in the combo receiving TE/blocker. The team as a whole does well in replenishing that position. Vejvoda returns also I believe. Punishing blocker, not sure where he went this season. Injured? Or just not enough time to spread around?
              Hearing the Greeneway will be moving to tackle.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yes, would love to see the TE running more seam routes and then dragging the slot across the middle(almost impossible to coverage, especially if the QB has time), many different options and reads for the QB.

There doesn't necessarily need to be more production from the TE. There absolutely needs to be a 2nd WR that can produce 4-5 rec/game, to the tune of 60-70yds. That with a good TE will give Jake more favorable match ups. Plus a consistent running game.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

I think that we are starting to see the thought process of the fans change. We are no longer satisfied by just making the playoffs. We have high expectations. The same staff that we criticize, including myself, are the ones that put the work in to set the bar to it's new heights.

This season has had its moments of high points (FBS win, Shellacing of SUU), but also low points (seemingly unmotivated players, play calling). Over all, I would call it a good season that could have been great.

Looking forward to next year:

*The offense could be dynamic with TC taking over the first team. We burned the red shirt this year, we can't waste another year of eligibility.

*Have to find someone to make plays opposite of Jake in the receiving game. The lack of consistency out of the TE spot needs to be addressed.

*Opening up the playbook to utilize the team's strengths will be key. A talented QB and WR should not be wasted with draws and off tackle for 2 yards.

This team will only go as far as the staff allows them. I'm not calling for anyone to lose jobs, but we can't have games lost because the players were not put in the best position.
                  Getting back to what I think was the original poster's intent here, I agree that it was a good season that could have been great. I feel like we were overrated much of the time. Perhaps that had something to do with expectations, I haven't decided how I feel about that. I think your low points have to include home losses to huge crowds. And I for another attribute those as you have noted to lack of motivation and poor play calling.

* I don't know that TC takes over next year. He might. I've been generally high on Lujan since he stepped in for Sumner and am high on TC as well. Its a good problem to have.

* I think you've correctly pointed out that JW's counterparts can have huge impacts on the game simply because defenses have to key on him. I think also that requires passers with ability to pass and the time required to use it, and a running game which demands respect. In other words the offense needs balance and he helps balance it.

* I think you've described a weakness here, myself. I don't think I'm alone in this regard. I don't see a coaching staff at State which has the ability to look at itself, take stock and initiate change. I could be wrong about that, and I hope I am. The players have come and gone over 20 years, in fact they've gotten better and better, and I still see the same things. In big games, we often fail to show up.

Comment

One play changed everything:http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...ason/76559912/

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      I realize 1 play is more dramatic but I'd say it could've been 2 or maybe 3 plays that changed everything.

UNI- missed 4th down conversion, get that and a TD and bam another win.

MT- Mengarelli fumble on the first offensive drive. We were moving on that drive, who knows?

Now we there were also plays that helped us win. The fumbled final snap at KS. IL St thwarted comeback with the covered onside kick.

All in all an excellent season by a team that would've been considered by many as successful at 6-5 or 5-6 after the loss of skill players.

Comment

You can look at 5-6 plays in any game and say they cost the Jacks a win, loss, margin of victory. That my friend is football. Zim should stick to writing a good story instead of being the one play critic of the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                          You can look at 5-6 plays in any game and say they cost the Jacks a win, loss, margin of victory. That my friend is football. Zim should stick to writing a good story instead of being the one play critic of the Jacks.
                          Sorry...MZ is "dead-on" in his summary of what transpired the end of this season. That 1 play puts us in position to be playing in SF this weekend. Makes me sick to think about how "dead-on" he is...seriously I felt my stomach drop when reading it.
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

2015 season ended the same as always.............disappointment! We can sugar coat it or make all the excuses we want but in the end it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                              2015 season ended the same as always.............disappointment! We can sugar coat it or make all the excuses we want but in the end it is what it is.
                              But that's how the season ends for everyone except the champions. I understand it's difficult with our friends to the north hoisting it 4yrs in a row. Fact remains only one team gets too. I wonder if it was coastal winning 4 straight but us making the playoffs every year would we be so Debbie downer.

Im disappointed and far from satisfied that we're 1-2 and done in the playoffs, but I've been around when 4-7 or 5-6 was considered a good season. We are leaps and bounds ahead of where I thought we'd be right now in any of our sports, except for women's BB. I'm happy and yet I want more. I think we're getting there.

Comment

Working...
                              X