2016 roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 roster

This thread confirms my thinking. We don't lack for talent. Not at all. We haven't lacked for talent since going D1 in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I think we'll have a lot less question marks going into next year than we did coming into this year. Lots of talent that is capable of stepping up, but you just don't know if they will until they are on the field.

The toughest player to replace is hands down going to be T.J. Lally. He's an all time great and you just can't immediately replace his leadership and experience with one player. Multiple players will have to step up on the defensive side of the ball to replace what he brought to the field every Saturday.
      No doubt he is the most difficult to replace. I was impressed with Dalton Cox and his work on special teams. I also believe that Matthews kid coming in has a shot. Based on his size, speed and with how ferocious he plays. Who wouldn't want a sub 4.6 40, 6'2", 230#+ kid playing behind those DT's. His biggest hurdle may be learning the scheme as a FR...... While not perfect at times we had another FR this year do well at the most difficult position to learn, our QB. It's not out of the ? To see a true FR step in at MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
        No doubt he is the most difficult to replace. I was impressed with Dalton Cox and his work on special teams. I also believe that Matthews kid coming in has a shot. Based on his size, speed and with how ferocious he plays. Who wouldn't want a sub 4.6 40, 6'2", 230#+ kid playing behind those DT's. His biggest hurdle may be learning the scheme as a FR...... While not perfect at times we had another FR this year do well at the most difficult position to learn, our QB. It's not out of the ? To see a true FR step in at MLB.
        Lally started every game in his entire 4 year career with the Jacks. Maybe history can repeat itself with Matthews.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Lally started every game in his entire 4 year career with the Jacks. Maybe history can repeat itself with Matthews.
          Did Lally start as a true freshman?

Comment

That's provided they keep him at MLB. He looks good at DE too but I think he'd be a force in the middle. Imagine him blasting up the middle on a blitz, lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Did Lally start as a true freshman?
              He redshirted

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                He redshirted
                Thanks. I'd be awfully surprised to see a true freshman starting at MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Thanks. I'd be awfully surprised to see a true freshman starting at MLB.
                  Absolutely. Can't imagine there's too many redshirt frosh starting there either. Kid was a stud. Started every game and averaged over 100 tackles over his four years.

Comment

I believe Lally replaced a graduated veteran at MLB(Mike Lien) after his redshirt yr., his services weren't needed right away. We have to replace a proven vet at that position now. As far as I'm concerned job is up for grabs, no one else seems to have separated themselves. The backup was another SR in Schuster, so it isn't like an underclassman stepped up. As this staff has proven this year, with the influx of talent they have no issues pulling redshirt and starting true freshman or at least giving them considerable minutes. Plus factor in the veterans and experience surrounding him. It wouldn't be all on him. Mears is capable of making calls, as is Bobbit. The D-line handles themselves. So it's not unrealistic to just stick him in and let him wreak havoc.

All this said we do have a good group of young LBs that redshirted this year. Perhaps Workman steps up or Rozeboom. Not sure if MLB is their natural position. Also Smenda could fill that too, should he be available and/or is truly on the team.
                    Last edited by Jackedforlife; 11-29-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                      Truth, need 1 more guy to step up and be that 3rd go to that causes teams to make the choice. Single them all, double one, or play zone.
                      I have heard really good things about Adam Anderson. I would look for him and Jacob Brown potentially as a true freshman to make an impact. I think our receiving corps will be better next year even though we graduate a TE and two WR.
                      "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

QB: LUJON, CHRISTION, Douglas, and Little
                        RB: MENGARELLI, Paris, Wallace, Sam Zenner, Clark Wieneke. I think whoever has the spot next year will be a placeholder for Blaire Mulholland to eventually take over for. The kid is a stud.
                        FB: LOUSCHER, Sellers, Mikey Daniel, Turner Blasius, Nick Jensen
                        WR: WIENEKE, LANDBERG, Alex Wilde, Adam Anderson, Marquise Lewis. Jacob Brown could see possible time. Coaches are high on this years freshmen Wilde, Anderson, and Lewis.
                        TE: GOEDERT, Vejvoda, Kallan Hart, Sam Steckman, Evan Greenway. Vejvoda was good a year ago when he had to play for Jones. We will be fine here.
                        LT: HARMON, Carbis, Szafranski
                        LG: Thor Reimer, Jake Ford
                        C: OHNESORGIE, Tyler Weir
                        RG: Clark
                        RT: Carr, Lansman, Szafranski

DE: BLUM, KERN, Basniak, Leiseth, Moritko
                        DT: LANGER, SOULEK, GOTTLOB, Whitsell, Ryan Earith, Pupungatoa Possibly Elijah Wilson as a true freshman but with the depth ahead of him, I would assume not.
                        OLB: D. BROWN, Hassel
                        MLB: Dalton Cox, Jessup Workman, Christian Rozeboom, Jake Harms. Possibly the true freshman Jacob Matthew. I'm sure some of these freshmen will get moved outside, but unsure of who. Coaches are high on Workman
                        OLB: BOBBIT, Hazelett
                        CB: J. Brown, Taylor, Rodriguez, Lindsey, Herndon
                        SS: FARINA, Slade, Romenesko, Lorenzo Williams
                        FS: MEARS, BALSTER, Brandon Thomas

K: Vinatieri
                        P: HALE
                        LS: TRENHAILE

KR: Lewis and Anderson
                        PR: ???

Offensive line and the MLB will be some combination of those listed above. We are loaded and will be very competitive again next year. I think our redshirt freshmen receivers will really surprise a lot of people. I think it will be interesting to see if th team gets rid of this "attitude" or "immaturity" thing that Stig keeps talking about.
                        Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 11-30-2015, 08:38 AM.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

This is my question heading into next season. What will change within the program that will allow the Jacks to compete on the field with NDSU and advance past the first (or even second) round of the playoffs?
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            This is my question heading into next season. What will change within the program that will allow the Jacks to compete on the field with NDSU and advance past the first (or even second) round of the playoffs?
                            I know what needs to change. The offensive scheme and play calling. NDSU has played us enough times and their coaches are good enough that they know exactly what we are going to do. We are able to overpower other teams and do what we want even if they know what we're doing, but that just isn't the case against NDSU because they are bigger/faster/stronger than most teams.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                              QB: LUJON, CHRISTION, Douglas, and Little
                              RB: MENGARELLI, Paris, Wallace, Sam Zenner, Clark Wieneke. I think whoever has the spot next year will be a placeholder for Blaire Mulholland to eventually take over for. The kid is a stud.
                              FB: LOUSCHER, Sellers, Mikey Daniel, Turner Blasius, Nick Jensen
                              WR: WIENEKE, LANDBERG, Alex Wilde, Adam Anderson, Marquise Lewis. Jacob Brown could see possible time. Coaches are high on this years freshmen Wilde, Anderson, and Lewis.
                              TE: GOEDERT, Vejvoda, Kallan Hart, Sam Steckman, Evan Greenway. Vejvoda was good a year ago when he had to play for Jones. We will be fine here.
                              LT: HARMON, Carbis, Szafranski
                              LG: Thor Reimer, Jake Ford
                              C: OHNESORGIE, Tyler Weir
                              RG: Clark
                              RT: Carr, Lansman, Szafranski

DE: BLUM, KERN, Basniak, Leiseth, Moritko
                              DT: LANGER, SOULEK, GOTTLOB, Whitsell, Ryan Earith, Pupungatoa Possibly Elijah Wilson as a true freshman but with the depth ahead of him, I would assume not.
                              OLB: D. BROWN, Hassel
                              MLB: Dalton Cox, Jessup Workman, Christian Rozeboom, Jake Harms. Possibly the true freshman Jacob Matthew. I'm sure some of these freshmen will get moved outside, but unsure of who. Coaches are high on Workman
                              OLB: BOBBIT, Hazelett
                              CB: J. Brown, Taylor, Rodriguez, Lindsey, Herndon
                              SS: FARINA, Slade, Romenesko, Lorenzo Williams
                              FS: MEARS, BALSTER, Brandon Thomas

K: Vinatieri
                              P: HALE
                              LS: TRENHAILE

KR: Lewis and Anderson
                              PR: ???

Offensive line and the MLB will be some combination of those listed above. We are loaded and will be very competitive again next year. I think our redshirt freshmen receivers will really surprise a lot of people. I think it will be interesting to see if th team gets rid of this "attitude" or "immaturity" thing that Stig keeps talking about.

I like it, my only disagreement is at RB. I'd be shocked if Sam is 4th on the depth chart. I like mengarelli but he needs to be 3rd down guy or possibly move to slot at times. I'd love to see him on KR too. I think we'll have a good problem on our hands at RB in 2 years, mulholland is a stud.

O-line needs to gel and get some depth. Could be dangerous if they play up to the potential.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                The only time in recent history that we were close to beating NDSU we ran a ton of wildcat...

I'm sure yours is a question the coaching staff will be working toward answering all season. IMO, what we are doing is working, it just isn't working consistently enough to push to the next level. We were within a game (overtime) of a seed this year, something we've never even sniffed before. That would make a huge difference, hopefully next year we can get that done.

For two years straight, we've had a new player that has made a splash. Weineke, TC, is there someone on the roster right now that nobody is talking about that makes an impact next year?

I think the placekicking game was weak this year too. Maybe we've been spoiled, but 15/22 isn't a great number.

I'm sure I'll get called a coaching apologist, but at some point a little bit of the onus has to be on the players too. When we were beating NDSU, it felt like our players were HUNGRY for it. I don't get that feeling anymore, and I don't think that can all be on the coaching staff. Does the disappointing end to the season light a fire to make every offseason workout the best it can be?

We're gonna need to do something about FCOA real soon, too. Offering the equivalent of partial scholarships when our 3 biggest recruiting competitors are offering full scholarships is going to hurt bad if we let it go on too long.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X