Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jackrabbit vs Montana FCS 1st round

Originally posted by Reality View Post
    This game was a bummer as it appeared as we definitely could have won this game by getting started a little earlier and with some breaks. As we are critical of the coaches and players at times, I also think we need to look closely at how Montana fans impacted the game. From what I heard on ESPN, they were very loud and caused us to be off sides a number of times. If we expect more of the coaches and players, we need to expect more of us as fans. We need to make more noise all the time when the opponent has the ball. No excuses.
    Well said. A culture change is needed.

Montana is THE only ticket in Missoula for many. They have a lot of pride in their Griz. The attendance was listed at 14,500. But they whoop it up like there's 20,000+ there. I saw senior citizens yelling just as loud as the kids at times!

I might open up a can of worms here, but as long as the blasted Husker mania continues to plague so much of South Dakota, SDSU will be continually shoved towards the back of the pack, in many's minds. Ok, USD's just a tad bit relevant in that sense, too.

Winning is a mindset. Tradition definitely helps. But it all boils down to attitude. And mental toughness. Believing you're great. And playing that way. Like you said, no excuses.
    "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      I don't know that anything short of winning a national championship would do it, honestly. I haven't followed FCS football very closely long enough to know what NDSU's fan support was like before the first National championship, but I assume it increased dramatically after the first, then more so with the consecutive wins. Was the Fargo dome always completely full? Even before the championships?
      no, but it wasnt empty either, 2006-2007 were good, 85% capacity crowds some less, 2009 terrible year, 2010 good crowds not consistant, 2011 first NC year and year after the first DI playoff run started seeing more frequent sellouts, 2012-current well you know the story

its been many years since the crowds were below what i would call good size, it took Bohl to bring back the spark and the relaxing of tailgate rules helped also. And yes putting a product on the field helps but NDSU has always had a fanbase they just needed to be encouraged with a good product
      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by Reality View Post
        This game was a bummer as it appeared as we definitely could have won this game by getting started a little earlier and with some breaks. As we are critical of the coaches and players at times, I also think we need to look closely at how Montana fans impacted the game. From what I heard on ESPN, they were very loud and caused us to be off sides a number of times. If we expect more of the coaches and players, we need to expect more of us as fans. We need to make more noise all the time when the opponent has the ball. No excuses.
        I look at our team and this doesn't surprise me. We have had several HOME games this year and our offensive linemen are asking our crowd to be quiet. One time the ball was across midfield and they were telling our student section to be quite. If you can't handle about 250 students on the other side of the field, how are you going to handle and big time away games crowd? I know the students shouldn't be doing that but we sure had problems handling any noise.

I know there were a several dropped balls but ESPN wasn't real high on TC. They kept saying that he would stare down a receiver. They thought that Zach might try to look off the defenders. There were a couple of plays in the first half where Jake was behind the defenders and the ball just didn't "have any air under it. It was thrown more like an arrow(I believe this is what the ESPN guys said)".

To me it just seemed like our play calling was too conservative. We would have 5 defenders in the box(because they spread us out) and they would have about 7 or 8. Having a receiver on both sided of the field spreads out the defense. It didn't really spread out their defense because even though we had Jake one-on-one, we would either run the ball or throw a screen behind the line of scrimmage. I don't think we wanted to get into a shoot out against them but if you have an All American single covered, you have to try to take advantage of it. Even if you don't connect, you make the safeties slow down their reaction time at the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
          NDSU has always had a fanbase they just needed to be encouraged with a good product
          I feel like this is starting to be the case for SDSU. We are starting to get a decent fan-base, and the new stadium will boost that even more. They just need to be encouraged with a good product. Some may argue that getting into the playoffs 4 years in a row is good product, but you have to win big games (not lose to NDSU and UNI at home in front of your biggest crowds all year), and sooner than later you have to at least reach the championship, if not win it.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I look at our team and this doesn't surprise me. We have had several HOME games this year and our offensive linemen are asking our crowd to be quiet. One time the ball was across midfield and they were telling our student section to be quite. If you can't handle about 250 students on the other side of the field, how are you going to handle and big time away games crowd? I know the students shouldn't be doing that but we sure had problems handling any noise.

I know there were a several dropped balls but ESPN wasn't real high on TC. They kept saying that he would stare down a receiver. They thought that Zach might try to look off the defenders. There were a couple of plays in the first half where Jake was behind the defenders and the ball just didn't "have any air under it. It was thrown more like an arrow(I believe this is what the ESPN guys said)".

To me it just seemed like our play calling was too conservative. We would have 5 defenders in the box(because they spread us out) and they would have about 7 or 8. Having a receiver on both sided of the field spreads out the defense. It didn't really spread out their defense because even though we had Jake one-on-one, we would either run the ball or throw a screen behind the line of scrimmage. I don't think we wanted to get into a shoot out against them but if you have an All American single covered, you have to try to take advantage of it. Even if you don't connect, you make the safeties slow down their reaction time at the line of scrimmage.
            No doubt TC is a freshman and there are probably lots of areas where he can get better, but the color commentator was pretty hopeless for this game, IMO. I wouldn't put too much stock into his opinions.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              No doubt TC is a freshman and there are probably lots of areas where he can get better, but the color commentator was pretty hopeless for this game, IMO. I wouldn't put too much stock into his opinions.
              The announcer was out in left field for much of the game - how many times did he want TC to pooch punt on 4th down ?

Comment

Yes spread out the offense. Also DBs figured out if the jammed Jake(which may be his only weakness, getting off the jam) at the LOS it bought the D-line an extra second to get to our QB. When Jake went in motion he had great success. They did more of this with Lujan in. Maybe that's a part of the playbook TC hasn't grasped yet.

Anyhow tools old are there, just need to stop being some damn predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                  no, but it wasnt empty either, 2006-2007 were good, 85% capacity crowds some less, 2009 terrible year, 2010 good crowds not consistant, 2011 first NC year and year after the first DI playoff run started seeing more frequent sellouts, 2012-current well you know the story

its been many years since the crowds were below what i would call good size, it took Bohl to bring back the spark and the relaxing of tailgate rules helped also. And yes putting a product on the field helps but NDSU has always had a fanbase they just needed to be encouraged with a good product
                  In 2002, 2 years removed from a trip to the semi-finals there was less that 10K in the Fargodome consistently. The win over Montana in 2003 helped a bit , but the media and school really pushed the D1 Brand along with the rivalry with SDSU. Lastly NDSU gets made fun of for not playing real football in a dome, but that dome is always sold out and produces a high bid for playoff games.

Comment

• Re: On to Montana:

RBs cannot run lateral as they are not quick enough and it showed. Paris is a straight ahead runner and when calling outside runs he pretty much failed. RB is a concern for 2016. I hope one of the redshirt RBs has some quickness and speed.

why didn't the defense blitz to hit the QB until the second half? The QB was coming off a major injury and wasn't going to run. He stood there in the first half with little pressure and no knockdown so or sacks. The QB limped around in the second half because he was hit. Too little too late then. The QB threw many quick routes with success. Let's put that in our playbook. I don't mean the two man bubble screen.

The home fans should always be loud when the opposing offense has the ball and quiet when their team is on offense. The silent count must be used and perfected by all. WRs should never jump but they do. Watch the ball. Montana had many more penalties at the LOS trying to jump the snap count. How about going on the second clap and getting more off sides penatlies. The Jacks generally never get the defense to jump.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                      In 2002, 2 years removed from a trip to the semi-finals there was less that 10K in the Fargodome consistently. The win over Montana in 2003 helped a bit , but the media and school really pushed the D1 Brand along with the rivalry with SDSU. Lastly NDSU gets made fun of for not playing real football in a dome, but that dome is always sold out and produces a high bid for playoff games.
                      Good point on the dome. Makes a guy wonder if SDSU had a dome if they would draw more people and have more season ticket holders. One would argue that it shouldn't matter, and Montana has shown that it can work, but the fact remains that the more fair weather fans (in two ways) would definitely attend more games if it were in a dome. Even if we increase our season ticket base, the games that are freezing later in the year will always have lower attendance. None of this matters, but it's interesting to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                        RBs cannot run lateral as they are not quick enough and it showed. Paris is a straight ahead runner and when calling outside runs he pretty much failed. RB is a concern for 2016. I hope one of the redshirt RBs has some quickness and speed.

why didn't the defense blitz to hit the QB until the second half? The QB was coming off a major injury and wasn't going to run. He stood there in the first half with little pressure and no knockdown so or sacks. The QB limped around in the second half because he was hit. Too little too late then. The QB threw many quick routes with success. Let's put that in our playbook. I don't mean the two man bubble screen.

The home fans should always be loud when the opposing offense has the ball and quiet when their team is on offense. The silent count must be used and perfected by all. WRs should never jump but they do. Watch the ball. Montana had many more penalties at the LOS trying to jump the snap count. How about going on the second clap and getting more off sides penatlies. The Jacks generally never get the defense to jump.
                        I don't know, perhaps I'm putting too much faith in Sam Zenner but I think he's the kind of back that can win the job and get 15-20 carries a game. Love Mengarelli but let's be honest, he's a change of pace guy, 5-8 touches a game, 3rd down situational. Might almost be blasphemous of me to say but might want to consider moving him to CB after the Taylor defection. Mengarelli did originally get a preferred walk on as a DB. Could use him as a kick returner too.

Not sure what happened to drop Wallace. I know Paris was healthy and that kid is all heart but preseason all you heard was Wallace has a skill set like no other. He basically vanished on offense until the last week. Not sure why he wasn't returning kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post

I thought the defensive scheme was a real head scratcher. Gimpy or not, i don't know why we would let him sit back there and pick us apart. With that offense i thought the object was to pressure him and disrupt the rhythm. Hell, on 2 of their scoring drives we only ran 3 man fronts. On one they went almost 90 yds. in 7 plays. one time they ran a route across the middle and there was 5 Jack players around the receiver and they still completed it. A play or two later they threw a 26 yd. td pass against single coverage. Mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                            I was only talking full D1 schedule years, I know the final years of Babich and early Bohl years were not good Bison FB was not in a good time and I think people saw the crap DII was and didn't lime it anymore
                            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              Good point on the dome. Makes a guy wonder if SDSU had a dome if they would draw more people and have more season ticket holders. One would argue that it shouldn't matter, and Montana has shown that it can work, but the fact remains that the more fair weather fans (in two ways) would definitely attend more games if it were in a dome. Even if we increase our season ticket base, the games that are freezing later in the year will always have lower attendance. None of this matters, but it's interesting to think about.
                              I think SDSU would draw more fans for their last one or two games of the season if they had a dome(if they play NDSU it won't matter and if they host several playoff games in will matter for more games). It wouldn't help for most of the other games. I guess rain or something like that might factor in but I think just as many or more people would show up for a September game if it's outside than inside. September and October normally have weather that makes it nice to be outside, why move the games into a dome.

There might be more season ticket holders if you have a dome because seating would probably be a lot less. Wouldn't a 15,000 seat dome cost about $30 million more than the stadium and indoor practice facility put together(I just threw that number out there. It might be way off). You would have less seats and it would cost more. People might buy season ticket because they want to have a ticket for NDSU, USD and Hobo Day and they might not get one without a season ticket. We had two games this year with more than 16,000 people so how big would you build it? You need the money up front and Denny and Dana probably weren't going to bully up another $25 million to make it bigger than 15,000 seats.

I know that this year was special because of the weather, we were winning and we had great home games but if we had a 19,000 seat stadium, would we of had more fans this year outdoors or in a 15,000 seat dome?

NDSU- 19,000
                              UNI- 16,000
                              SU- 13,500
                              RM- 12,000
                              ISU(B)- 9,500
                              ISU(R)- 9,000

If SDSU wins and keeps tickets affordable, people will show up unless the weather is much worse than any game this year.

Comment

15k dome, what happens in 10-15 years when we need to expand to 20-23k seats(wishful thinking I know) but there's nothing you can do with a dome. Our friends up north I'm sure would love to have the ability to up capacity to at least 25k. Bottom line, build a great team consistently and the fanbase will grow too. We need to figure out a way to draw people from the Sioux Falls area. Weather will have little impact(if the bison played outside they'd still sellout), in fact some of my favorite games have been foul weather games. Crowd is rowdy and engaged. Who knows, with any luck in 10 years they'll be adding an additional 5-6k seats at Dykhouse stadium.

Comment

Working...
                                X