Flash Package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flash Package

I'll go on the record as saying I agree with previous posters in that I don't have a problem with the formation, but rather the 100% predictability of the play. It also happened later in the game against WIU where the safety came flying in and blew up the play because he knew what was coming.

I kind of agree with putting TC back there in this formation. Gives us some more options.

Comment

Even slight misdirection with the ability to sort of a zone option read like we use too gave it a better chance since there were 3 or 4 plays out of one formation. Now its basically just a heavy package.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
        I'm not a fan of the formation this year, as it is has defensive linemen in the backfield. and there is no misdirection to it. (usually) We just have a rb back there, with 2 DT's in the backfield with him.

Against NDSU last year...Zenner was running it more of a "read option" type play.

And correct, the team has ran it for years...Minnet ran it, Cam Jones did run it, and of course Zenner.

I'm not trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater...there is some value to the package, but it becomes harder to be successful, when the defense is ready for what is coming at them.
        This. What Zenner did and what they are trying to do this year are COMPLETELY different. In fact, the only similarity is the direct snap to the RB, that's it, nothing else.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I pointed it out in the USD post game thread, but the one time that I have seen misdirection this year was the 2nd Paris touch down in the USD game. Same formation as usual, but they had one of the blockers cut back to the weak side and Paris followed untouched into the end zone.

Go to 5:18 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q0al-Co2pA

The blocker shifts early in the formation to the strong side, and then the guys in the backfield cut back going against the momentum of the play.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I pointed it out in the USD post game thread, but the one time that I have seen misdirection this year was the 2nd Paris touch down in the USD game. Same formation as usual, but they had one of the blockers cut back to the weak side and Paris followed untouched into the end zone.

Go to 5:18 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q0al-Co2pA

The blocker shifts early in the formation to the strong side, and then the guys in the backfield cut back going against the momentum of the play.
            I will somewhat disagree with you. Langer does motion back, but then the entire blocking scheme, including Langer, is flowing with the play. When that play is blocked correctly, lookout! Nobody is stopping that. Our double team with the TE and RT put #45 on some skates there! He gets moved a solid 7 yards into the endzone, then Langer comes around right behind that to clear up the OLB, ball carrier can easily follow right behind.

Comment

One thing is for sure, we have established some serious tendencies. That can be an advantage if our coaching staff is aware of those tendencies. We always run on first down (usually between the tackles out of shotgun to the right side). We always run out of flash. I guarantee the opposing staff is aware of our tendencies. If the opposition cheats to stop the obvious play, hopefully we ca make them pay. Of course that would mean we would deviate from our tendency and I'm not sure we are willing to do that.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

It has been mentioned already, but just a couple passes a year makes the flash package a much more dangerous option.

If the fans know what is coming from some of our formations, then obviously the opposition is onto it. Obviously the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality can be used here, but I think to really take the next step the offense needs to become a little more dynamic.

The Jacks may have that person to change the way the offense runs in TC. If he develops, we may see a completely different offense in a year or two.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  It has been mentioned already, but just a couple passes a year makes the flash package a much more dangerous option.

Which is exactly why TC would be a great person to have run that particular package.

Comment

I told people this after the NDSU loss this year, and I think this is the case again here. We are holding back from showing too much so that the bison will never know what hit them in two weeks at Fargo.

Okay, maybe that's not the case, but it helps this uninformed fan rationalize/justify everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

If the fans know what is coming from some of our formations, then obviously the opposition is onto it. Obviously the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality can be used here, but I think to really take the next step the offense needs to become a little more dynamic.

The Jacks may have that person to change the way the offense runs in TC. If he develops, we may see a completely different offense in a year or two.
                      During the UNI game, Tyler M. said the Jacks haven't thrown out of that formation since 2010. I'm not gonna hold my breath on one pass a year let alone a couple.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                        During the UNI game, Tyler M. said the Jacks haven't thrown out of that formation since 2010. I'm not gonna hold my breath on one pass a year let alone a couple.
                        Kyle Minett. I think he threw a pick too.

Comment

With a Tolu verbal maybe we can get this package rolling

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                            With a Tolu verbal maybe we can get this package rolling
                            Let's just get rid of all of our QBs and only use this package. Run between the tackles...every single down!

Comment

Working...
                            X