Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe Glenn to Retire ?

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    Frankly, I can't see the USD fan base getting excited about someone who just failed, in their own conference.
    If I'm USD, I bring in new blood.
    Yes I tend to agree with you and YE alluded to applications already received in the mail. They are smart to go for new blood.

Comment

Well, I find this interesting, someone that is close to the discussion mentioned this fan board.

They have hired a search/consulting firm. So, any speculation really should be tempered by that fact. My understanding is they would like to announce the new head coach by Dec. 18th.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think it more likely that the "national" search is to confirm that "the best candidate is right in our own backyard, let me introduce the next coach of the USD Coyotes, Wesley Beschorner!"

Think about it. The AD takes a huge risk in naming Beschorner with out doing a "search". That risk is substantially less if there was a "search" of some kind. And where are they getting new blood from? This is like trying to get a coach at Indiana or Purdue, or Vanderbilt or Kentucky. With a lot smaller checkbook.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
          I think it more likely that the "national" search is to confirm that "the best candidate is right in our own backyard, let me introduce the next coach of the USD Coyotes, Wesley Beschorner!"

Think about it. The AD takes a huge risk in naming Beschorner with out doing a "search". That risk is substantially less if there was a "search" of some kind. And where are they getting new blood from? This is like trying to get a coach at Indiana or Purdue, or Vanderbilt or Kentucky. With a lot smaller checkbook.
          I don't find this scenario likely, and if that is what ends up happening, USD is even more incompetent and/or cheap than most of us thought.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

First of all, I've never understood the need to pay $ for something your AD, President, and other higher ups that you already pay big money should be able to do.

2nd of all its Football. and Its a D-I FCS program, now yes if its, some D-III or NAIA school looking for a soccer coach or something, then I might buy the we felt they could help us find a high quality coach bs argument.

Honestly this is why I never though bringing Joe Glenn in was the smartest move. They had no plan on what they wanted him to do. Was he suppose to groom the next head coach? Was he suppose to turn it around? Was he suppose to stay 8-10 years and take them to the promise land? Now maybe they thought they had a plan and things changed, and maybe Joe told the higher ups he felt they should look outside the program for the next head coach (I doubt it, but maybe he did).

If you believe you have the next head coach there already, it shouldn't take an out of state consultant to tell you that.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              I don't find this scenario likely, and if that is what ends up happening, USD is even more incompetent and/or cheap than most of us thought.
              i've got a bridge to sell you…

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                First of all, I've never understood the need to pay $ for something your AD, President, and other higher ups that you already pay big money should be able to do.

2nd of all its Football. and Its a D-I FCS program, now yes if its, some D-III or NAIA school looking for a soccer coach or something, then I might buy the we felt they could help us find a high quality coach bs argument.

Honestly this is why I never though bringing Joe Glenn in was the smartest move. They had no plan on what they wanted him to do. Was he suppose to groom the next head coach? Was he suppose to turn it around? Was he suppose to stay 8-10 years and take them to the promise land? Now maybe they thought they had a plan and things changed, and maybe Joe told the higher ups he felt they should look outside the program for the next head coach (I doubt it, but maybe he did).

If you believe you have the next head coach there already, it shouldn't take an out of state consultant to tell you that.
                If a school wants to talk directly with a coach I believe they need to get permission from his current employer, correct ? Which means it very likely becomes public knowledge. A search firm can get around that by contacting a coach's agent/representative and keeping it from coming out in the news.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

What i remember is Glenn was hired to groom Beschorner. Obviously things change but supposedly Joe endorsed Wes for the head job at his last press conference also. I would be really surprised if he got the job. If he does it kind of signals that USD is ok with the direction of the program. Maybe i wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

It's my guess Wes B doesn't get the job...if they interview a few, he'll get an interview. The guy who is the head of the search firm is a personal friend from high school days (his son is a USD assistant AD in charge of development [fundraising]). He has a lot of contacts in the world of college athletics and the only way his business does well is by providing good services. USD (like SDSU if it was looking for a head football coach) has some special challenges because of pay scale so I look for an up-and-comer who established himself early in his career as an assistant at an FBS school.

That's my guess based on no facts and only the claim of being a friend of the guy in charge of the search (and I haven't discussed this topic with him). He'll do a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      It's my guess Wes B doesn't get the job...if they interview a few, he'll get an interview. The guy who is the head of the search firm is a personal friend from high school days (his son is a USD assistant AD in charge of development [fundraising]). He has a lot of contacts in the world of college athletics and the only way his business does well is by providing good services. USD (like SDSU if it was looking for a head football coach) has some special challenges because of pay scale so I look for an up-and-comer who established himself early in his career as an assistant at an FBS school.

That's my guess based on no facts and only the claim of being a friend of the guy in charge of the search (and I haven't discussed this topic with him). He'll do a good job.
                      That's good enough for me. They need someone with the energy that Joe Glenn had when he was at UNC and Montana, and do I dare mention Wyoming which has been mission impossible for several coaches. Pulling someone out of retirement is not a good idea, even if they are as loyal as Joe Glenn. As you mentioned the salary constraint has to weigh heavy in the new search.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        That's good enough for me. They need someone with the energy that Joe Glenn had when he was at UNC and Montana, and do I dare mention Wyoming which has been mission impossible for several coaches. Pulling someone out of retirement is not a good idea, even if they are as loyal as Joe Glenn. As you mentioned the salary constraint has to weigh heavy in the new search.

How long was joe coach 3 years? Doesn't that qualify him for a nice little retirement perk from SDRS? or is it 4 years. It wouldn't make a man rich but wouldn't be insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          How long was joe coach 3 years? Doesn't that qualify him for a nice little retirement perk from SDRS? or is it 4 years. It wouldn't make a man rich but wouldn't be insignificant.
                          I have never worked for the State of SD, so don't have a clue how the retirement system works, but if he already has retirement resources I wonder if this would really matter to Joe. Once you adjust to retirement, most have no desire for going back or taking on a job with headaches, and that it was when he came to Vermillion 3 or 4 years ago. Any coaching job to me seems stressful, and when you get to the mid-60's you just don't need that. Seems like he was golfing in Arizona when they approached him for this job.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 12-02-2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

If Joe had a salary of $145K, he would be with at least $14,500 per year into the SDRS. That would be $58,000. He would have that annuitized for the duration of his life or he could withdraw the money and run to Vegas. Either way, he should have a few more dollars for golf balls.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I'd be surprised if USD ends up with Wes Beschorner as head coach. He hasn't accomplished much. Their experiment with a retread (Joe Glenn) didn't go very well. I'm guessing they'll bring in a bargain-priced outsider they can tout as an up and comer.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                I'd be surprised if USD ends up with Wes Beschorner as head coach. He hasn't accomplished much. Their experiment with a retread (Joe Glenn) didn't go very well. I'm guessing they'll bring in a bargain-priced outsider they can tout as an up and comer.
                                Or a D2 move up. Wasn't it rumored once that the guy from Sioux Falls was in the running? Has a history with Glenn, the salary would be an upgrade (I think) and it would be a step up from D2.

Comment

Working...
                                X