2015 USD GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 USD GDT

I am in zero way a fan of a 2 QB system, generally speaking. That said, I feel like our coaching staff, QB's, and team have handled this 2 QB system very well. When one QB is struggling, the other one comes in and plays well. It has worked for us so far, hopefully it can keep on working. A 2 QB system is certainly not a long term answer, but we are 8-2 right now with arguably the greatest team in SDSU history.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      According to the radio broadcast he had five tackles in the 1st half and zero in the 2nd.
      The way he started off, I was pretty concerned. Looks like he may have wore down as the game went along or we changed our plan as to how we would handle him. I was surprised that he isn't bigger. A few more semesters in the weight room and he should bulk up.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        I'm not going to apologize for TC, because he definitely didn't look sharp in this game. However, did anyone else notice how different the play calling was once Lujan got in? I understand that the coaching staff is probably more comfortable with opening up the playbook and relying on the pass more with Lujan in there, but the run, run, 3rd and long pass scheme was pretty much all they were doing when TC was in there. Honestly, I think if they would have left TC in there and they called the same plays they did with Lujan in, I believe we still would have won. It seems like they are handling TC with kid gloves a little too much. Also, after TC has shown time and time again how good he is when throwing on the run, how do we not call some designed roll out passes?! Get him out on the edge and let him decide whether he wants to pass or run. Along the same lines, I think with TC in, we should spread our offense out more, with more shotgun and 4 wide sets. This is all easy for me to say from my couch, but a lot of it just seems very elementary in terms of coaching. I honestly think that Stig holds us back a bit when it comes to stuff like this, being so stuck in his ways and unwilling to make some changes. I'm not saying he sould be fired or I want a different coach at all, I love him and we are lucky to have him, I am just stating my opinions.
        The play calling could have also been different because the situation was different. When Lujan came in, we were down by 10. Prior to that, we led or were in a position to lead/tie within a series.

If they are handling with kid gloves, maybe its because he doesn't understand the entire playbook as well as he should??? TC has been very open in the press that Lujan has been a huge help/mentor throughout the week and during games in helping him understand what is happening. He's a true freshman quarterback, I don't think its reasonable for him to understand the entire playbook, much less throw in a whole bunch of new plays for him (and the rest of the team) to learn. I can't disagree that rollouts and spreading the offense might be a great idea, but if those things aren't in the playbook at the beginning of the season its hard to add them and expect the TC or the rest of the team to be able to pick it up with no issues.

IMO (which means nothing), TC bails himself out of poor decisions/reads with his athleticism (which is very exciting and fun to watch!). If he is doing that with kid gloves, throwing the whole kitchen sink at him plus new plays could be a disaster.

We're 8-2, and there is no denying that both QB's have played a role in that. TC is exciting and is the future, Lujan is exciting for different reasons and is a team captain voted on by his teammates for a reason.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          The play calling could have also been different because the situation was different. When Lujan came in, we were down by 10. Prior to that, we led or were in a position to lead/tie within a series.

If they are handling with kid gloves, maybe its because he doesn't understand the entire playbook as well as he should??? TC has been very open in the press that Lujan has been a huge help/mentor throughout the week and during games in helping him understand what is happening. He's a true freshman quarterback, I don't think its reasonable for him to understand the entire playbook, much less throw in a whole bunch of new plays for him (and the rest of the team) to learn. I can't disagree that rollouts and spreading the offense might be a great idea, but if those things aren't in the playbook at the beginning of the season its hard to add them and expect the TC or the rest of the team to be able to pick it up with no issues.

IMO (which means nothing), TC bails himself out of poor decisions/reads with his athleticism (which is very exciting and fun to watch!). If he is doing that with kid gloves, throwing the whole kitchen sink at him plus new plays could be a disaster.

We're 8-2, and there is no denying that both QB's have played a role in that. TC is exciting and is the future, Lujan is exciting for different reasons and is a team captain voted on by his teammates for a reason.
          I was thinking the same thing. the team was working on a playbook for the team all year. Now TC has some promise to do things other QBs cant, but to adjust the whole game plan half way during the season is a lot to expect a freshman to take on and for a team to adjust. One where the oline has had some issues. Imagine the concern if we were running rollouts and such and they forget to pull or adjust their blocking.....I was surprised we didnt see them go with the zone option read for him. They were aggressive on the ends and one way I feel to neutralize an aggressive D-end like Van Giekel is to give them a chance to see and react to the D. a few runs I think would have really helped him out in this game.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
            Defense looked asleep for large portions of the game but did what they needed to .
            Something to think about with the entire team. For the first time in two years the team got on a bus early in the morning and traveled to the game. This throws off the normal game day routine that guys become accustomed to. Usually they either fly or drive the night before on away games and home games they get up from their own beds and head to stadium. They probably were up at 6-6:30 and were on the road by 7:00. People by nature are creatures of habit I'm sure this plays into why the team appeared to be sleep walking first 2 quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              I can't agree that TC looked like a freshman, true or redshirt, yesterday. Kid was 9/19, 153 yds and a pick. Had at least 3 very catchable balls dropped but the pick was a bad decision. Just like Lujans pick against IL St. He also ran for a score and honestly was under pressure quite a bit. I was beginning to think Van Ginkel wanted to date him after the 1st Qtr. I agree pulling him to bring Zach in, the team needed that leadership. Zach played well, he led better. Got lucky that his one pass wasn't a pick six. Zach has "it", the ability to lead. He is gracefully teaching and mentoring TC this way. Once TC begins to reach that potential the sky is the limit. Both add to this program and I'm all for giving each equal time. Defenses will be driven crazy trying to plan. Like scheming for 2 different games. If one of them gets hot, ride it out.

I'm curious as to why JeRyan has all of a sudden had issues on punt return. It's always been nail biting with some of his choices but he pulls them off. Fielding and muffing the punt inside the 5, ????. Luckily he recovered it. That easily could've sunk us. As of late though crazy bad things there. Hopefully he pulls out of the slump.

GO JACKS!

I want everybody to know that I don't care who the quarterback is as long and they are the best man on that day and get the job done. I think that both of them have something that the other person doesn't. TC can run and Zach seems to know/understand the game better(at this point).

I know that people were complaining about Zach for his first 2 series in the last couple of games. What did TC do in the first two series? He had two really bad misses, one really good pass and one pass behind the receiver. He stayed in after that and played pretty good football. If Jake would have caught the ball down the sidelines for TC like he did Zach, that would of helped him out. Those two passes were about the same. Zach's was a little closer but not much. The two plays before TC's sideline pass, he ran out of bounds for a two yard loss and had a bad throw. The one good play would have made up for two iffy plays but that didn't happen. I'm glad that TC didn't throw it up for grabs and throw a pick (and it was only 2 yards) but throw the ball out of bounds and save the field position.
              To me it looks like Zach looks more for Jake. TC spreads the ball around more and if he doesn't see something he runs. TC is really good for a true freshman but he needs to get a little more playing time and the things will settle down a little more for him, too.

I think you just have to find the hot hand a stick with it for each game. Some games TC has played better but this last game Zach played better. Both QB's have started and both have came off of the bench so it must not hurt either too bad to come in for relief.

Both JeRyan and Wesley have had problems in the return game this year. You have had several punts and kickoffs that have been fumbled by both players. Either that or they try to return a kickoff and only get back to the 13 yard line or fumbling it out of bounds inside the 5 yard line. I think both of those players had 2 bad plays against Illinois State. That might have had something with trying to hard for senior day but I've almost would like to see the kickoff go into the end zone and not returned. I do have to say that Wesley has been doing a lot better at catching the ball and when he gets it, it can be really fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
              X