Summit League OOC 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit League OOC 2015

Aren't ticket sales/prices controlled by the Pentagon organization...same thing with computing attendance.

Comment

WBB Western Illinois 79 Illinois St 64
      Dec. 28 Fort Wayne 60 Wis.-Milwaukee 73 Final
      TV: ESPN3
      Western Illinois Illinois St. 7:00 PM
      TV: ESPN3
      Cal St. Fullerton 64 North Dakota State 79 Final
      Long Beach St. 48 Denver 41 Final
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Notes at the end of pre-conference play . . .

The main difference this year, IMHO, on both the men's and women's sides in the Summit is that there are no teams, men or women, rated under #300 in the Sagarin rankings. Usually at this point there were one or two bottom-dwellers who were dragging the entire league down. This year on the mens side, the bottom team is IUPUI, at #264, out of 351 D-I teams. Second to last is WIU at #240. Basically, the entire men's Summit League is more or less in the top two thirds of D-I. On the women's side, the bottom ranked team is NDSU at #292.

The women's side, top to bottom, still isn't quite as strong as the men's side. Five of the nine women's teams are under #200. On the other hand, both SDSU and USD are salty, at #50 and #63 respectively, and IUPUI is next at #119. The women's league is stronger at the top than the men's side, but a bit bottom-heavy.

(I realize after typing that, that this could be taken the wrong way. Seriously, people, we're talking ratings here.)

The men's side, SDSU has clearly separated itself from the pack at #65, number 2 is Omaha at #151. Omaha, Ft. Wayne, NDSU, ORU, and USD are all bunched up within 23 spots of one another, from #151 to #174. If this holds, SDSU should probably win the regular season by a couple of games, and it will be a knock-down, drag-out fight for the #2 seed for the tournament.

If the women's side is bottom-heavy, the men's side is middle-heavy. Again, the insensitive quips pretty much write themselves.

I probably should quit here before I get into real trouble.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Notes at the end of pre-conference play . . .

The main difference this year, IMHO, on both the men's and women's sides in the Summit is that there are no teams, men or women, rated under #300 in the Sagarin rankings. Usually at this point there were one or two bottom-dwellers who were dragging the entire league down. This year on the mens side, the bottom team is IUPUI, at #264, out of 351 D-I teams. Second to last is WIU at #240. Basically, the entire men's Summit League is more or less in the top two thirds of D-I. On the women's side, the bottom ranked team is NDSU at #292.

The women's side, top to bottom, still isn't quite as strong as the men's side. Five of the nine women's teams are under #200. On the other hand, both SDSU and USD are salty, at #50 and #63 respectively, and IUPUI is next at #119. The women's league is stronger at the top than the men's side, but a bit bottom-heavy.

(I realize after typing that, that this could be taken the wrong way. Seriously, people, we're talking ratings here.)

The men's side, SDSU has clearly separated itself from the pack at #65, number 2 is Omaha at #151. Omaha, Ft. Wayne, NDSU, ORU, and USD are all bunched up within 23 spots of one another, from #151 to #174. If this holds, SDSU should probably win the regular season by a couple of games, and it will be a knock-down, drag-out fight for the #2 seed for the tournament.

If the women's side is bottom-heavy, the men's side is middle-heavy. Again, the insensitive quips pretty much write themselves.

I probably should quit here before I get into real trouble.
          Fat-bottomed or thick around the middle, it will be fun to watch both races unfold.

On the men's side, I think the old cliché "win at home and split on the road" should be enough to earn a top-2 seed this year. The Jacks are a fairly safe bet to pull that off, but they'll have to avoid further injuries. ORU might have an edge over the middle of the pack, but it's too early to say for sure. NDSU and USD look like they might be good for two quadruple overtime games this year. Omaha could heat up and outscore about anybody in a single game. It's early yet, but it seems like the 6/7/8 seeds at the tournament are going to be a lot more dangerous than they have been in the past. I assume there won't be any first-day bye for the #1 or #2 seeds this year, just a break between Saturday and Monday.

The IUPUI women could play spoilers to the presumed SDSU-USD title race, both in the regular season and at Sioux Falls. They have three wins over top-100 RPI teams. Their final two games are at home against SDSU and USD giving them a shot at a late surge. I think the winner on the women's side will end up with two conference losses.

Comment

With an 11-3 non-conference record, Jackrabbit MBB currently sits at #42 in the NCAA's RPI. Our three losses (Texas Tech, Weber St, and UMKC) are all teams ranked in the top 150. Would have been interested to see where we would be with wins in one or two of those games, and ultimately if we would have won sans injuries. Texas Tech especially, as they are currently ranked at #7 in these rankings.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketb...basketball-rpi
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

OOC is not finished yet. The Bison play Northland College tonight. It is an exhibition game for the DIII Lumberjacks, but it appears to be a counter for the Bison. Also, IPFW plays NAIA Purdue North Central on Saturday. The women finished OOC last night with IUPUI winning 68-62 over Evansville(1-10).
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                OOC is not finished yet. The Bison play Northland College tonight. It is an exhibition game for the DIII Lumberjacks, but it appears to be a counter for the Bison. Also, IPFW plays NAIA Purdue North Central on Saturday. The women finished OOC last night with IUPUI winning 68-62 over Evansville(1-10).
                I did a google on Northland. They 0-10. They could catch Bison napping St Cloud beat them by forty.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I did a google on Northland. They 0-10. They could catch Bison napping St Cloud beat them by forty.
                  I think it would have to be a coma to make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

What a terrible game for NDSU

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                      Kory Brown went down with an knee injury against Idaho State. It's sounding like he will be out for the foreseeable future. Big blow to the Bison with conference season right around the corner.
                      Foreseeable future turned out to be about 10 days. He was back last night for the Northland game after a perfect MRI and started warmups by running out and dunking the ball. Huge sigh of relief from Bison fans. Guessing it was maybe a painful knee bruise rather than any actual damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                        Foreseeable future turned out to be about 10 days. He was back last night for the Northland game after a perfect MRI and started warmups by running out and dunking the ball. Huge sigh of relief from Bison fans. Guessing it was maybe a painful knee bruise rather than any actual damage.
                        Has he learned how to shoot yet? Actually being serious here.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Denver WBB has scored 35 points in the first half in Vermillion. USD leads 38-35.

Comment

Working...
                          X