Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League Membership

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Right, but as of now the eastern schools already get to miss one of UNI/USD/SDSU/NDSU every two years while those schools never get a break from it. Which leads to something like last year where Illinois State got to miss playing NDSU and finish higher in the conference than us.

Only having two OOC games is a terrible idea. That's what the Southland conference does, and that conference is going downhill fast for quality of teams in it outside of SHSU. Plus, now your schedule OOC is basically FBS game and cupcake. As a fan, that's not giving me much to want to buy tickets for.

12 teams would not be nice in any fashion. If we're going to have that many teams it would be split into east and west divisions, and at that point we might as well just split one of the conferences off. A big conference is great in FBS when you can have a conference championship game. Not in FCS. Would you be happy if say, Indiana State got the auto bit from the conference because they got to miss NDSU, SDSU, and UNI? Look at the big sky for how it happens. UND is picked to win the conference by a lot of people because they get to miss all the good teams in the conference. In fact, they aren't even in the top highest ranked teams in the conference.
    Life is not fair and neither is college football. You could divide it up north and south, put NDSU and uni UND and ISU B in the north, SDSU USD isu R and other teams in the south. You can split it up as fairly as we can. 9 would be a good number, But i doubt we are going to lose teams, so if we get a few more, i see that better then losing any.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Life is not fair and neither is college football. You could divide it up north and south, put NDSU and uni UND and ISU B in the north, SDSU USD isu R and other teams in the south. You can split it up as fairly as we can. 9 would be a good number, But i doubt we are going to lose teams, so if we get a few more, i see that better then losing any.
      It absolutely isn't fair. Just like NOT adding UND to the MVFC isn't fair, but it's the smart thing to do. You will never sell the eastern schools on it unless they get to travel west even less. So a north south division split won't happen because those schools would have to travel west an extra time most likely, and those schools would see the opportunity for an east west split and be only for that. You can take the life isn't fair stance once UND is added and all is said and done, but there is literally zero reason to add UND to the MVFC other than just adding a school just for the sake of adding a school, unless they manage to bring back baseball and get the Summit schools to help to try to get them in. If that happens I'm all for it because it really helps stabilize the Summit greatly. Until then let them in the Summit and stay in the Sky for football. There's no way the Big Sky teams don't leap at the opportunity to drop having to send all their Olympic sports out to Grand Forks.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

It absolutely isn't fair. Just like NOT adding UND to the MVFC isn't fair, but it's the smart thing to do. You will never sell the eastern schools on it unless they get to travel west even less. So a north south division split won't happen because those schools would have to travel west an extra time most likely, and those schools would see the opportunity for an east west split and be only for that. You can take the life isn't fair stance once UND is added and all is said and done, but there is literally zero reason to add UND to the MVFC other than just adding a school just for the sake of adding a school, unless they manage to bring back baseball and get the Summit schools to help to try to get them in. If that happens I'm all for it because it really helps stabilize the Summit greatly. Until then let them in the Summit and stay in the Sky for football. There's no way the Big Sky teams don't leap at the opportunity to drop having to send all their Olympic sports out to Grand Forks.
        This is how I feel. Since the Big Sky has several other affiliate schools for football, they shouldn't mind keeping UND football and letting them go for all of their other sports. They still have all of the schools that they want to football and they don't have their furthest road trip(by far) for all of their other sports.
        If there was a split it would have to be east-west to keep the eastern schools happy. I think if you actually went north-south and had the teams where they belonged, it would look about the same and going east-west. UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD and UNI should end up together any way you look at it. That would make the west/north much stronger than the east/south.

Comment

This is spot on. UND fans claim that the Summit was calling them twice a year to have them join. Maybe, but that's when they had baseball. The Summit could add 400 more teams but if none of them have baseball it doesn't make the conference any more stable, just bigger. And bigger and not more stable is usually worse than better IMHO.

By deciding to axe baseball before getting into the Summit, they just threw away any leverage they had in the conversation, especially to sway non Dakota schools.

UND is weird to me. The more I interact with them, the more they are like NDSU fans with a feeling of arrogance about them, except they've done literally zilch to be like that.
          They will soon enough, just you watch, similar to the other uxd......they're just a piece or two away and its a successful season if the beat either of the Xdsu's in any sport.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This is spot on. UND fans claim that the Summit was calling them twice a year to have them join. Maybe, but that's when they had baseball. The Summit could add 400 more teams but if none of them have baseball it doesn't make the conference any more stable, just bigger. And bigger and not more stable is usually worse than better IMHO.

By deciding to axe baseball before getting into the Summit, they just threw away any leverage they had in the conversation, especially to sway non Dakota schools.

UND is weird to me. The more I interact with them, the more they are like NDSU fans with a feeling of arrogance about them, except they've done literally zilch to be like that.
            I agree with filbert's comments in post 20 and Thumper's following post #22, quoted above. I want to add my two cents to thumper's comment starting "UND is weird to me...." I suppose it is unfair to comment on a fan base after reading the posts of a few on a message board. But, there's no question UND has a few fans who can be compared to a few NDSU fans and weird is an accurate description. I suppose a fan of any team can spout off any way they like but I have concluded that we really do not want both UND and NDSU in the same conference. The ugliness between the schools is deep and never-ending. It makes no difference to me whether one school is more blame-worthy -- we just don't need the collateral crap that seems to follow those two places when they're within shouting distance of one another.
            Last edited by JackJD; 09-02-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
              Just wanted to mention, the talk about Div. II was more in terms of saving money. The best case scenario that we're hearing has the state slashing our funding by ~10 million...could be worse. Dropping to Div. II would likely save a few million. It's less about being competitive at the D1 level (obviously our football and basketball teams are "trending up") and more about the $ being spent. I don't know if Div. II is something that they're actually seriously considering...it was really more of a brainstorming exercise to think of things that our Athletics department might end up looking at to save money.
              The economy is just plain bad,and has a ripple effect.

Comment

Some movement on UND into Summit and MVFC. http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...-summit-league

Comment

Sounds like the move has been made and agreed upon and now they are working on the best timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                    Sounds like the move has been made and agreed upon and now they are working on the best timing.
                    After reading it sounds like the Summit League move has been made, they are just waiting on football to decide if it will be next year or in 2 years. Do you guys read it the same as I do?

Comment

Given the acquisition of private texts between UND and other individuals, it look like Julian Assange has infiltrated the UND athletic program.

Comment

Does the Big Sky have a big buy out for leaving,isn't the Summit like 1 million or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          Does the Big Sky have a big buy out for leaving,isn't the Summit like 1 million or something?
                          The texts say they will wave the buyout IF UND agreed to leave before Nov 1, but the date has now been pusehd back.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                            Given the acquisition of private texts between UND and other individuals, it look like Julian Assange has infiltrated the UND athletic program.
                            Good one. The Big Sky did SDSU and NDSU a big favor a few years back when they turned down our membership in their conference. I suspect travel costs for all sports is a factor in the financial woes at UND.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Good one. The Big Sky did SDSU and NDSU a big favor a few years back when they turned down our membership in their conference. I suspect travel costs for all sports is a factor in the financial woes at UND.
                              I read on SS they estimate annual travel savings at 800,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                                These text messages are not private. See FOIA.

Comment

Working...
                                X