Summit League Membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Membership

Since we have a game against Western Illinois in a couple of weeks, I went over to Leatherneck Nation and poked around a bit. It seems that a few people who post are ready to give up on being competitive in both the Summit League and the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

http://www.leathernecknation.net/for....php?f=4&t=569

Some appear to want to drop football scholarships and play football in the Pioneer League. Others are talking about dropping to Division II and seeking to play in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. One poster claimed to be quoting a person formerly affiliated with the football program claiming that the university is looking at Division II.

The thread was started in May, but really got a second wind starting in late October.

Is anyone close enough to the program over there to know if there is any real basis to any of this or if it is just a small group of frustrated fans?
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Re: Summit League Membership

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    Since we have a game against Western Illinois in a couple of weeks, I went over to Leatherneck Nation and poked around a bit. It seems that a few people who post are ready to give up on being competitive in both the Summit League and the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Some appear to want to drop football scholarships and play football in the Pioneer League. Others are talking about dropping to Division II and seeking to play in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. One poster claimed to be quoting a person formerly affiliated with the football program claiming that the university is looking at Division II.

The thread was started in May, but really got a second wind starting in late October.

Is anyone close enough to the program over there to know if there is any real basis to any of this or if it is just a small group of frustrated fans?
    Likely just frustration, and talk; but there are real higher education issues in Illinois right now. The state is a mess and the directional universities are taking it in the chin. I read a recent rumor (based on a comment from the school President) of EIU closing their doors.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post

Conference realignment is going to create a "new" DI-AA/FCS splitting the current FCS in two. Those that can, will move "up" to the second tier of athletics containing conferences like the current Sun Belt. Those that can't will move "down" to the new DII. Its one of the driving factors behind our football facilities improvements, IMO. SDSU is going to do everything possible to stay in the second tier.

The state of Illinois is a mess, but there are going to be plenty of schools across the nation that simply won't be able to compete by offering FCOA. You simply won't be able to field competitive football teams while offering ~75% of a full ride.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        Likely just frustration, and talk; but there are real higher education issues in Illinois right now. The state is a mess and the directional universities are taking it in the chin. I read a recent rumor (based on a comment from the school President) of EIU closing their doors.
        If they would do this there would undoubtedly be some coaches looking for new places to coach and players looking for different places to play.

Comment

Just wanted to mention, the talk about Div. II was more in terms of saving money. The best case scenario that we're hearing has the state slashing our funding by ~10 million...could be worse. Dropping to Div. II would likely save a few million. It's less about being competitive at the D1 level (obviously our football and basketball teams are "trending up") and more about the $ being spent. I don't know if Div. II is something that they're actually seriously considering...it was really more of a brainstorming exercise to think of things that our Athletics department might end up looking at to save money.
          Scott
          Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
          Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
            Just wanted to mention, the talk about Div. II was more in terms of saving money. The best case scenario that we're hearing has the state slashing our funding by ~10 million...could be worse. Dropping to Div. II would likely save a few million. It's less about being competitive at the D1 level (obviously our football and basketball teams are "trending up") and more about the $ being spent. I don't know if Div. II is something that they're actually seriously considering...it was really more of a brainstorming exercise to think of things that our Athletics department might end up looking at to save money.
            Hope they get all things figured out. I would hate to see you go!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              If they would do this there would undoubtedly be some coaches looking for new places to coach and players looking for different places to play.
              I know this thread is a little older, but reading it now makes me wonder if this rumor Las enough legs that it helped USD as they poached a pretty good football coach from WIU. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

IS North Dakota looking for an out of the Big Sky Conference? Appears they lost significant amount of cash last years and is out of Title IX balance. Letter was sent out by President stating such.

Dear Campus Community:

I want to make you aware that UND
                Athletics ended FY16 with a shortfall of approximately $1.4
                million
                . This is a disappointment to me, and I am taking steps
                to address it.

Effective immediately, the chief financial officer for Athletics will now
                report directly to the Associate Vice President for Finance. This tightening of
                fiscal controls will benefit Athletics as well as the University.

Last week I announced Laurie Betting, Interim Vice President for Student
                Affairs, and Dana Harsell, Chair of University Senate, as co-chairs of a
                University planning process. As a companion to that process, I am asking a
                subgroup of the elected Intercollegiate Athletics Committee (IAC) to examine UND
                Athletics to make sure we have an athletics program that best fits the University of North
                Dakota in terms of a number of factors, including the sports we participate in,
                conference participation,
                the number of athletes that we serve, and the cost of the programs. The IAC serves
                as an advisory committee to University Senate and my office, making
                recommendations on matters pertaining to institutional control of the athletics
                program; the academic and financial
                integrity of intercollegiate athletics
                ; the academic and
                personal well-being of student-athletes; gender equity; non-discrimination and
                diversity; and the accountability of the athletics program to the values and
                mission of the University.

This action is a continuation of a conversation started by Interim
                President Ed Schafer, who suggested that the University take a hard look at our
                athletics program with an eye to ensuring we have the right number and mix of
                Division I athletic programs. I want to conclude that process by the end of the
                calendar year.

I want to be clear: I am pro-Athletics. I am proud of our
                student-athletes, who are successful as athletes and who perform well in the
                classroom. They are also engaged in the community, contributing more than 9,500
                hours of service in FY16. But I also want to be clear that we need to make sure
                we have Athletics program that is the right fit for the University. I appreciate
                the committee helping us with this important task.

Mark Kennedy

President

Comment

Originally posted by unobovine View Post
                  IS North Dakota looking for an out of the Big Sky Conference? Appears they lost significant amount of cash last years and is out of Title IX balance. Letter was sent out by President stating such.

Dear Campus Community:

I want to make you aware that UND
                  Athletics ended FY16 with a shortfall of approximately $1.4
                  million
                  . This is a disappointment to me, and I am taking steps
                  to address it.

Effective immediately, the chief financial officer for Athletics will now
                  report directly to the Associate Vice President for Finance. This tightening of
                  fiscal controls will benefit Athletics as well as the University.

Last week I announced Laurie Betting, Interim Vice President for Student
                  Affairs, and Dana Harsell, Chair of University Senate, as co-chairs of a
                  University planning process. As a companion to that process, I am asking a
                  subgroup of the elected Intercollegiate Athletics Committee (IAC) to examine UND
                  Athletics to make sure we have an athletics program that best fits the University of North
                  Dakota in terms of a number of factors, including the sports we participate in,
                  conference participation,
                  the number of athletes that we serve, and the cost of the programs. The IAC serves
                  as an advisory committee to University Senate and my office, making
                  recommendations on matters pertaining to institutional control of the athletics
                  program; the academic and financial
                  integrity of intercollegiate athletics
                  ; the academic and
                  personal well-being of student-athletes; gender equity; non-discrimination and
                  diversity; and the accountability of the athletics program to the values and
                  mission of the University.

This action is a continuation of a conversation started by Interim
                  President Ed Schafer, who suggested that the University take a hard look at our
                  athletics program with an eye to ensuring we have the right number and mix of
                  Division I athletic programs. I want to conclude that process by the end of the
                  calendar year.

I want to be clear: I am pro-Athletics. I am proud of our
                  student-athletes, who are successful as athletes and who perform well in the
                  classroom. They are also engaged in the community, contributing more than 9,500
                  hours of service in FY16. But I also want to be clear that we need to make sure
                  we have Athletics program that is the right fit for the University. I appreciate
                  the committee helping us with this important task.

Mark Kennedy

President
                  Any chance Hockey will be cut? I being facetious of course, but am very thankful, SDSU was denied membership in the Big Sky. Travel costs have to be a major factor in their budget shortage. I dont know what the answer is here except to join the Summit and hope also that football finds a home in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...tion/89012270/

Here is a link to an argus story saying UND is exploring other conference options.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                      http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...tion/89012270/

Here is a link to an argus story saying UND is exploring other conference options.
                      They are way more valuable to the Summit League with a baseball program.

I still think the mens basketball programs would love to add at least 1 program if not 2 just because of scheduling problems. (get another scheduled quality home game).

Comment

IMHO I'd like both und & umkc in the Summit. Make it the I-29 league with some other appendages. note that with und, Omaha, Denver, that half way to sponsor hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          They are way more valuable to the Summit League with a baseball program.

I still think the mens basketball programs would love to add at least 1 program if not 2 just because of scheduling problems. (get another scheduled quality home game).
                          Yes with a baseball program, UND would be valuable. I suppose the Summit could encourage that they reinstate baseball, but doubt the Summit could not require them to do so. Other non-baseball members have been admitted such as Denver. A requirement like this would make UND baseball alums happy since they are trying raise funds to reinstate baseball.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 08-21-2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

The sticker is football. The MVFC is not interested in adding a 10th team. On the question of baseball...the Summit could require it as a part of admission to the conference. The league required Omaha to start a men's soccer team for admission to the league. If the Big Sky would allow UND to stay as an affiliate member in football, the Summit would jump at the chance to add them IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              The sticker is football. The MVFC is not interested in adding a 10th team. On the question of baseball...the Summit could require it as a part of admission to the conference. The league required Omaha to start a men's soccer team for admission to the league. If the Big Sky would allow UND to stay as an affiliate member in football, the Summit would jump at the chance to add them IMO.
                              Seems like Denver has no baseball and was admitted to the Summit. I keep thinking UND could raise inconsistency in admission, but maybe they are not in a position to be picky when you consider their budget short-fall. I would hope the Summit would require baseball for UND. I dont have an up to date BOR report, but in 2011, baseball cost $380,000 at SDSU. So UND should be able to restart the baseball for $450,000 or less I am guessing here. Maybe not that big of a deal, but the football as you said is the big stickler. Travel costs to Grand Forks for UNA and the west coast schools can not be cheap. I can see a sigh of relief from those schools when UND fully exits the BSC.

Comment

Working...
                              X