Jacks at USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks at USD

[QUOTE=thumper_76;282290.If the defense is good we use TC, if it's soft we use Lujan is what it looks like to me.[/QUOTE

Why would we only use TC if the D is good?

Also, I believe Stig has stated that it's up to Eidsness on which QB to play after Lujan's first 2 series. It is Stig's decision to start Lujan. Can't blame him somewhat, he loves Lujan anyhow. Now factor in the way he has handled himself through this. Again, not enough accolades can be said about Zach and his attitude and leadership. That helps breeds the team first mantra.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jackedforlife;282302][QUOTE=thumper_76;282290.If the defense is good we use TC, if it's soft we use Lujan is what it looks like to me.[/QUOTE

Why would we only use TC if the D is good?

Also, I believe Stig has stated that it's up to Eidsness on which QB to play after Lujan's first 2 series. It is Stig's decision to start Lujan. Can't blame him somewhat, he loves Lujan anyhow. Now factor in the way he has handled himself through this. Again, not enough accolades can be said about Zach and his attitude and leadership. That helps breeds the team first mantra.[/QUOTE]

Pretty easy to see. Only game that Lujan has played the majority of was the Misery State game. Each of the other opponents had better defenses and guess who played the majority? TC. If you didn't notice that then you are ignoring that on purpose. I admire the way Lujan had handled this, but don't stick your head in the sand about it.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

[QUOTE=thumper_76;282304]
        Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

Pretty easy to see. Only game that Lujan has played the majority of was the Misery State game. Each of the other opponents had better defenses and guess who played the majority? TC. If you didn't notice that then you are ignoring that on purpose. I admire the way Lujan had handled this, but don't stick your head in the sand about it.
        i think you may be mistaking me for someone who thinks Lujan should be the man. I've been in favor of TC since they pulled the redshirt. The point I was trying to make is that regardless of the D It shouldn't matter, TC should be playing and Lujan should get in when we're far ahead and its the 4th qtr. Whether the d is good or bad it's game experience and reps.

Comment

A couple weeks ago I feared this may be a trap game. But with the fire and leadership it doesn't happen. The UNI loss stings but they're a top 10 team. They'd rip through any other conference. Heck USD would be top 3 in any other conference. The phases are starting to come together, jeez Wesley almost has me believing in him. I wish he'd have been on special teams coverage units the whole time. Get that O-line to gel a little more, TC is feeling more loose and will fling the ball to the Master(I can't call him the wizard, makes me think of the wizzinator and Ciatrick "SOD" Faison) and the RB platoon works for me. To say we have a QB platoon makes me smh, there is a token starter that may get more plays if he does well at first or if TC loses his lid again. 41-10, Jacks win.

disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of Lujan and his leadership, intelligence and grace. He simply cannot do what the other can. When called upon he does his job, admirably. I'm glad he's a Jack.
          I was worried about a "trap" game too, but I think the Jacks win this convincingly. Wasn't Onterrio Smith the Vikes RB who got caught with the Whizzinator?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            I was worried about a "trap" game too, but I think the Jacks win this convincingly. Wasn't Onterrio Smith the Vikes RB who got caught with the Whizzinator?
            Crap you're right. I was thinking of a different moron.

Comment

[QUOTE=thumper_76;282304]

To be fair, TC played like a true freshman against MSU. His final numbers weren't bad, but fumbled snaps and hopping around the pocket instead of making a decision could have been game changing mistakes against a better opponent. TC did not look very good in that game, IMO. How many times has a shotgun snap hit TC in the hands while he is looking around the field getting ready for the play? That can't all be on the center when it doesn't seem to happen to Zach.

Before I go on, I want to say emphatically that I don't care who starts/plays as long as we win.

In MBB, it is really common for Nagy to bench a starter because they have had a bad week in practice. Is it different in football? Is it possible that Lujan outperforms TC by a decent margin all week long in practice? If one guy is better in practice, film, and leadership, do you completely throw that out the window because the true freshman has been able to make plays? I think it would be EXTREMELY interesting to see how TC grades out in games. Is he missing basic/easy things early in the play, then bailing himself out with athleticism and talent? Remember when Stig was soooo happy about TC checking out of a play at YSU? That's ho-hum stuff for Zach, but press worthy when TC gets it right. IMO, all those things matter, and its not as simple as we make it out to be.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

To be fair, TC played like a true freshman against MSU. His final numbers weren't bad, but fumbled snaps and hopping around the pocket instead of making a decision could have been game changing mistakes against a better opponent. TC did not look very good in that game, IMO. How many times has a shotgun snap hit TC in the hands while he is looking around the field getting ready for the play? That can't all be on the center when it doesn't seem to happen to Zach.

Before I go on, I want to say emphatically that I don't care who starts/plays as long as we win.

In MBB, it is really common for Nagy to bench a starter because they have had a bad week in practice. Is it different in football? Is it possible that Lujan outperforms TC by a decent margin all week long in practice? If one guy is better in practice, film, and leadership, do you completely throw that out the window because the true freshman has been able to make plays? I think it would be EXTREMELY interesting to see how TC grades out in games. Is he missing basic/easy things early in the play, then bailing himself out with athleticism and talent? Remember when Stig was soooo happy about TC checking out of a play at YSU? That's ho-hum stuff for Zach, but press worthy when TC gets it right. IMO, all those things matter, and its not as simple as we make it out to be.
                Who led the team on the path to beating the #2 team in the nation? I think that's the only question one should ask themselves in terms of who to play at QB.

Comment

[QUOTE=SF_Rabbit_Fan;282314]
                  Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

In basketball it is easier to bench someone to set a tone or example bc there are more games being played so yes there is a difference 1/32 or however many games played compared to 1/12th or however many football games.

Probably somewhere lost in all this is teams think they have to prepare for two qbs (passing and throwing) even though both pass well. So why not go with it when in reality it hasn't hurt us so far and in the MSU game it did help having Lujan being calm and setting things right. Not saying TC wouldn't/didn't settle down against them but it was a cold rainy day and sometimes little things like that throw off young players.

Comment

USD game prep article from Zim: http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...tion/75522010/

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...tion/75522010/

Nothing like talking up USD just to push them back down.

One line stands out to me in the article. "capable of competing with the MVFC heavyweights"

Yes, they did beat NDSU in Fargo but what happened against UNI, YSU(doubtful of making playoffs), and WIU (wont make playoffs)? Those games are all blowouts. They did beat the team that they should beat in MSU, and the SIU game was a toss up.

I will say they are better than they were last year but that wouldn't be that hard to do.
                      Last edited by SanDakotaState; 11-11-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post

One line stands out to me in the article. "capable of competing with the MVFC heavyweights"

Yes, they did beat NDSU in Fargo but what happened against UNI, YSU(doubtful of making playoffs), and WIU (wont make playoffs). Those games are all blowouts. They have beat the team that they should beat in MSU, and the SIU game was a toss up.

I will say they are better than they were last year but that wouldn't be that hard to do.
                        Caught that comment, the better one was the "close" game they played against UNI. That's like saying our game against NDSU was close. UNI absolutely shut down the USD offense. They had 187 yards total, something like 80 were on their first drive. It was flat out ugly, much like our 1st half against NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          Who led the team on the path to beating the #2 team in the nation? I think that's the only question one should ask themselves in terms of who to play at QB.
                          Fair enough, if that TC shows up in Vermillion, great!
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post

Yes, they did beat NDSU in Fargo but what happened against UNI, YSU(doubtful of making playoffs), and WIU (wont make playoffs). Those games are all blowouts. They have beat the team that they should beat in MSU, and the SIU game was a toss up.

I think the key word in that sentence is capable.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              And if our team doesn't have that in mind all week, then it could be a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                I think the key word is heavyweights, he incorrectly made it plural. They haven't been capable of competing with any of the MVFC heavyweights other than NDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X