X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Punting

Originally posted by jack power View Post
    It's easier to cover a 30 yd. punt
    Maybe that not bad if they aren't able to bust a big return.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by raiders64 View Post
      We have a bright spot in our punting , his name is Troy Hunhoff no. 90 on the Jacks roster. Read his bio and watch him warm-up before and at half time at the games. You will see what a all-state punter can do.
      If he's that much better, why doesn't he start?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        Exactly what I was going to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          That's a good question ?

Comment

I'm going to trust the coaches on this one. Unlike other positions where players are evaluated in multiple areas (like our QB position),punters are basically evaluated in two - can you trust them to get the punt off and then what are the results of the kick. So I'm guessing they have had good reasons for using Hale. We will have to see if that changes going forward.

Comment

Interesting Hale and Hunoff are both from Yankton. Hunoff is a sophomore and Hale is a freshman. Go figure.

Comment

Some context to this topic (Stats from MVFC website):

PUNTING G No. Yards Avg/P Ret. Avg/R TB Net/P
                1. N. Dakota State 6 30 1372 45.7 117 3.9 6 37.8
                2. Illinois State 6 23 894 38.9 48 2.1 0 36.8
                3. South Dakota 6 33 1358 41.2 115 3.5 3 35.8
                4. Youngstown State 6 29 1075 37.1 5 0.2 2 35.5
                5. S. Dakota State 6 26 977 37.6 66 2.5 0 35.0
                6. Northern Iowa 6 40 1667 41.7 236 5.9 4 33.8
                7. Indiana State 6 34 1294 38.1 94 2.8 3 33.5
                8. Southern Illinois 6 21 802 38.2 69 3.3 2 33.0
                9. Missouri State 6 54 2003 37.1 203 3.8 2 32.6
                10. Western Illinois 6 31 1041 33.6 171 5.5 0 28.1

We are middle of the pack in net punting average at 35 yds/punt, with NDSU #1 at 37.8 yds/punt. I'm assuming that Hale is being directed to punt shorter for better coverage and greater net yards.

PUNT RETURN AVG G No. Yards TD Long Avg.
                1. Missouri State 6 8 167 1 58 20.9
                2. Youngstown State 6 14 171 0 39 12.2

Also to be noted: Youngstown is #2 in the conference for punt return average.

We are #5 in the conference on punting. There is definitely room for improvement. However, looking at the numbers, the sky isn't falling here.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                  I'm assuming that Hale is being directed to punt shorter for better coverage and greater net yards.
                  This is a good possibility that I hadn't considered... Which makes sense, because I saw him and high school, and he was booming punts. Still, the fact remains that some of the punts just look bad... I'll write it off on the fact he's a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                    Some context to this topic (Stats from MVFC website):

PUNTING G No. Yards Avg/P Ret. Avg/R TB Net/P
                    1. N. Dakota State 6 30 1372 45.7 117 3.9 6 37.8
                    2. Illinois State 6 23 894 38.9 48 2.1 0 36.8
                    3. South Dakota 6 33 1358 41.2 115 3.5 3 35.8
                    4. Youngstown State 6 29 1075 37.1 5 0.2 2 35.5
                    5. S. Dakota State 6 26 977 37.6 66 2.5 0 35.0
                    6. Northern Iowa 6 40 1667 41.7 236 5.9 4 33.8
                    7. Indiana State 6 34 1294 38.1 94 2.8 3 33.5
                    8. Southern Illinois 6 21 802 38.2 69 3.3 2 33.0
                    9. Missouri State 6 54 2003 37.1 203 3.8 2 32.6
                    10. Western Illinois 6 31 1041 33.6 171 5.5 0 28.1

We are middle of the pack in net punting average at 35 yds/punt, with NDSU #1 at 37.8 yds/punt. I'm assuming that Hale is being directed to punt shorter for better coverage and greater net yards.

PUNT RETURN AVG G No. Yards TD Long Avg.
                    1. Missouri State 6 8 167 1 58 20.9
                    2. Youngstown State 6 14 171 0 39 12.2

Also to be noted: Youngstown is #2 in the conference for punt return average.

We are #5 in the conference on punting. There is definitely room for improvement. However, looking at the numbers, the sky isn't falling here.
                    Thanks for the context! This is great and why I asked my original question.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      Thanks for the context! This is great and why I asked my original question.
                      Well both punters are from Yankton.

Comment

Because I started this thread and was "overly critical" in the eyes of a poster. I wanted to congratulate Mr. Hale on a nice weekend of punting. Landing four inside the 10 yard line is awesome work! Coach Stig talked about Brady last night on the radio and said that right now it is a confidence and nerves thing that is holding him back.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                          Because I started this thread and was "overly critical" in the eyes of a poster. I wanted to congratulate Mr. Hale on a nice weekend of punting. Landing four inside the 10 yard line is awesome work! Coach Stig talked about Brady last night on the radio and said that right now it is a confidence and nerves thing that is holding him back.
                          I was thinking the same thing, punts were much better. shanked a few in warmups, but in the game it helped with the field positition battle for sure.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing, punts were much better. shanked a few in warmups, but in the game it helped with the field positition battle for sure.
                            I watch hale and Hunhoff punt and I think Hunhoff had a lot of good punts too.two people sitting behind me were impress with Hunhoffs punts too.

Comment

I watch hale and Hunhoff punt and I think Hunhoff had a lot of good punts too.two people sitting behind me were impress with Hunhoffs punts too.
                              since my last post I am amazed at all the views this post got. If you want to hear what stig had to say about the hunhoff kid go to P & D staff blog and on there Stig is talking to the Yankton QB club about the Yankton kids. I hope Mr. zimmer looks at it too. His number is 91 on the roster.

Comment

since my last post I am amazed at all the views this post got. If you want to hear what stig had to say about the hunhoff kid go to P & D staff blog and on there Stig is talking to the Yankton QB club about the Yankton kids. I hope Mr. zimmer looks at it too. His number is 91 on the roster.
                                Link to the blog?

*I found the video.
                                http://www.yankton.net/youtube_8ec0c....html?mode=jqm

Comment

Working...
                                X