2017 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Recruits

Coach Nagy may poach a couple recruits, it is what it is.

IMO, it will not be a long term problem, and the right new coach can shut it down quickly. I can't imagine there are that many MN/SD/IA kids who would choose WSU over SDSU/NDSU/USD/UNI/Omaha where their friends/family can watch them play a ton.

When there are plenty of successful programs within a couple hours drive it becomes much more difficult to recruit Minnesota. I believe Craig Bohl discovered that.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

IMO, it will not be a long term problem, and the right new coach can shut it down quickly. I can't imagine there are that many MN/SD/IA kids who would choose WSU over SDSU/NDSU/USD/UNI/Omaha where their friends/family can watch them play a ton.

When there are plenty of successful programs within a couple hours drive it becomes much more difficult to recruit Minnesota. I believe Craig Bohl discovered that.
      Unless those recruits are committed to SDSU, he's not "poaching" anyone. Until he gets settled in there,hire an assistant from the area,etc... it's understandable he would continue recruiting the areas he knows.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Pretty standard operating procedure for a coach going to a new program. He wants to hit the ground running and doesn't want to take fliers on kids he knows nothing about. I expect any Jr. Sr. recruits that Coach & Coach Cooley have already scouted and developed relationships will be swayed to head east to Dayton, OH. After those classes I can't see many recruiting battles unless there is a stud in the upper Midwest they really want. I would still assume they'll continue to stay strong in recruiting in Northern Illinois and the Twin Cities, but beyond that, they'll have plenty of recruiting options being that they are within driving distance of Indy, Detroit, Chicago, Louisville, Cincy, & Cleveland. No reason to burn your travel budget to the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, etc. if you can find the same/better talent close by.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          Unless those recruits are committed to SDSU, he's not "poaching" anyone. Until he gets settled in there,hire an assistant from the area,etc... it's understandable he would continue recruiting the areas he knows.
          I won't completely disagree but I will say that a coach is recruiting kids to a program at a University. Not just to his or her team. That said, he can and should make it clear that he is still interested by offering these recruits if they fit the team he is inheriting at WSU.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
            I would expect Brad Davison to be Coach Nagy's next offer at WSU. Davison & Berhow were his top targets for 2017, both made unofficials last year and Davison was also in Cancun while the men where playing. His sister plays at UNI and they were playing in Mexico as well in the Women's bracket.
            My expectations as well in regards to Nagy offering Davison. As far as known offers for the 2017 class (which could all change with the new coach coming in), I'd really like to see Davison be a Jackrabbit the most. Big point guard with handles and looks like he knows how to run a team.

Though, it's important to note that even without Coach Nagy leaving, it's far from a given he Davison would end up at SDSU. Lots of area teams have interest/offers to the kid.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Wright State? Why would anyone go there? If I didn't know who coach Nagy was, I would never have heard of the place. Pick a school not a coach. They just fired a 22 win coach = no stability for a coach or a player.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                Wright State? Why would anyone go there?
                C'mon...Brookings SD isn't exactly on everyone's wish list. Take the glasses off...
                Last edited by jacks1; 04-08-2016, 11:45 PM.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  C'mon...Brookings SD isn't exactly on everyone's wish list. Take the glasses off...
                  Hopefully our new coaching staff doesn't have that attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Hopefully our new coaching staff doesn't have that attitude.
                    Agreed. I probably worded that wrong.
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      Agreed. I probably worded that wrong.
                      A month ago I would have agreed with your statement more than I do today. But after hearing Deondre Parks, George Marshall and Tevin King say how they love Brookings as opposed to inner-city Flint and Chicago, I have changed my opinion.

Comment

A month ago I would have agreed with your statement more than I do today. But after hearing Deondre Parks, George Marshall and Tevin King say how they love Brookings as opposed to inner-city Flint and Chicago, I have changed my opinion.
                        Excellent point. My reaction was more on the "Why would anyone go to Wright St..." comment. There are terrific opportunities everywhere, not just in Brookings...

Comment

I think it's great those guys love Brookings. I do too. That doesn't mean it was on their wish list.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            I'm not getting into an argument over semantics, my point was that we won't be competing with Coach Nagy for recruits for long.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Could a moderator please make this thread sticky?
                              "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

The Alou Dillion (6'8" 195) offer was mentioned in the 2016 thread, but since he is a 2017 recruit I though I'd post his highlight video over here:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4917571/...ghts/334605399

I like the kid's combination of length and athleticism, and it appears he could be more of a 3 than a 4.

Kids like this will be where we find out how good of a recruiter TJ is, as Alou will have a lot of teams on him before the summer is out.
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X