X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Recruits

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    That just means they didn't score him
    I thought they use to have a 40 or something for a score which basically meant not ranked or rated at all. Plus the rankings with out looking at all the criteria for how they get ranked, but it seems that the scores they get are more an indication of how good they are at that time, like in high school. there really is no way to project how good someone will be.

If you look at the teams in the summit, Denver and NDSU don't have any rankings over 2 star. their team avg is 2. USD and SDSU have a play or two who was over 2. so team ranking is just above 2.0. how ever IPFW and IUPUI have the highest star avg for teams in the summit. I don't know if any of those players who are above 2 on those teams are any good or if they played or reshirted etc, but at our level I don't think it really matters much. If you look at the best players in the conference. I think all of them are 2 stars. Seems the ranking stuff is more for power conferences to brag about its players more then it translates to wins etc.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

And then allows us to complain at the start of the 2021-2022 season that we lost our entire team and return nobody with meaningful minutes. A good problem to cross down the road.

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      The five high school players make up a very balanced class. You could argue that there is a player that fits all 5 positions, which hopefully pays off in a veteran starting line-up when they are juniors and seniors.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
        And then allows us to complain at the start of the 2021-2022 season that we lost our entire team and return nobody with meaningful minutes. A good problem to cross down the road.
        And probably our coach, if he's as good at recruiting as promised. This class looks pretty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I thought they use to have a 40 or something for a score which basically meant not ranked or rated at all. Plus the rankings with out looking at all the criteria for how they get ranked, but it seems that the scores they get are more an indication of how good they are at that time, like in high school. there really is no way to project how good someone will be.

If you look at the teams in the summit, Denver and NDSU don't have any rankings over 2 star. their team avg is 2. USD and SDSU have a play or two who was over 2. so team ranking is just above 2.0. how ever IPFW and IUPUI have the highest star avg for teams in the summit. I don't know if any of those players who are above 2 on those teams are any good or if they played or reshirted etc, but at our level I don't think it really matters much. If you look at the best players in the conference. I think all of them are 2 stars. Seems the ranking stuff is more for power conferences to brag about its players more then it translates to wins etc.
          Basically, though the recruiting ratings and systems have improved, they still have weaknesses. Generally some are not rated at all, and generally anything from not rated to a 70 the ratings isn't on what ESPN views them at its more on stats, etc. I had a friend in college who was rated a top 200 QB in america and the #3 QB out of Wyoming and he didn't even play college ball. His coach was one of those who pushed the stats and tried to get his players notarized.

Generally speaking if you are above a 70 rating you have numerous D-I offers. That is kinda what I've noticed. Some recruiting sites have a local reporter who can help with a players ratings, I live in Arizona and I think its scout has a full-time reporter (who does a good job) and he gets some of those marginal players rated.

Comment

Marty Hill just committed to Evansville. Not sure if he was still much of a possibility, but I know his name had been mentioned on here a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Cherrad2012 View Post
              Marty Hill just committed to Evansville. Not sure if he was still much of a possibility, but I know his name had been mentioned on here a few times

I thought he would be really fun to watch, but our team is loaded with new guys for next year. I don't know how much of an interest he had, but all those other guys coming in would turn a few people away (probably has.)
              Rollin' in my 5.0
              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                I thought he would be really fun to watch, but our team is loaded with new guys for next year. I don't know how much of an interest he had, but all those other guys coming in would turn a few people away (probably has.)
                There is no room left at the Inn.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                  Gotta believe that the Jenkins Jr. commitment had to be a turning point.

Comment

South Dakota State men's basketball head coach T.J. Otzelberger announced three additions to this year's recruiting class Wednesday. Brandon Key, Dallas Polk-Hilliard and David Jenkins, Jr., have committed to the Jackrabbits and will enroll for the 2017-18 school year.
                    Key and Polk-Hilliard are junior college transfers with two years of eligibility remaining while Jenkins joins SDSU after a year of prep school and will have four years of eligibility. ... (more)

The trio joins Alex Arians, Matt Dentlinger, Alou Dillon, and Ryan Krueger in rounding out the newest Jackrabbit recruiting class. ... (more)

http://www.gojacks.com/news/2017/4/1...r-2017-18.aspx
                    This space for lease.

Comment

That is a lot of talent being brought in! I'm sure some will rise to the top and some will unfortunately be misses. What will really be important is how soon they get to Brookings and how hard will they work. With that many new faces it is going to take time to mesh. Moreover, many of these guys have been stars in high school and in JUCO/prep school. How will they adjust to being at best, the second option on the team.

It is easy to work hard and get a rhythm when you are the star, but when you are not the focal point of the offense it can be easy to take possessions off and lose your focus. I think Brandon Key will be fine with his role as he appears to be a floor general and not a scorer. He might be a quicker, smaller version of Orris, who may pass more than dribble. The rest of the mix will be difficult to sort out. Polk-Hilliard and Reed are similar players on paper and both will likely have to spend time as a 3 or 4 on the floor. Often they will have to guard the opponents 4, unless we have rotations with both Daum and Theisen are on the floor at the same time. That still leaves at least six guys battling for playing time at the guard/small forward positions.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

You get a bunch of two star athletes who are highly motivated and believe in each other,play team ball,and generally develop a team chemistry that works (accept their roles,etc),you can build one he** of a team, and a bench to match.That team can carry a program a long ways.

Comment

saw a bunch of Tweets that both men's and women's basketball coaches were fanning out recruiting today. Is this for '17 or '18 (A couple women's assistants were in North Carolina and the head women's coach was in Arizona, according to a couple of the Tweet maps. Aree we expanding the recruiting map that far?)

Comment

I would guess they are going to AAU tournaments - if so, that would be for '18 and beyond.

Comment

Correct - they likely just go to where the AAU tourneys are. Doesn't necessarily mean our recruiting footprint is changing.

Comment

Didn’t know where else to put this. David Jenkins Jr broke Mike Daum’s freshman scoring record tonight. 520 pats to 518.

Comment

Working...
                                X