Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gameday experience

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    Agreed, with any luck this guy and his wife will either be in a box or loge seats. He can keep his reserved arse there and golf clap when he deems it appropriate.
    Google "football crowd etiquette" for both the grumps and the overspirited. Of course, I have no idea of the situation, but have almost been the grump myself. 3/4 snockered fans spewing spit and fumes and vitriol is not always conducive to a great gameday experience.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
      Google "football crowd etiquette" for both the grumps and the overspirited. Of course, I have no idea of the situation, but have almost been the grump myself. 3/4 snockered fans spewing spit and fumes and vitriol is not always conducive to a great gameday experience.
      Yes I agree, the drunken mouth breather spewing his beer breath chew spit screaming inconsequential nonsense is uncalled for. The guy screaming at the ref for a horrible call, or making fun of the opposition is just plain poor sportsmanship. If it's 3rd and 2 I want 17,000 people on their feet screaming in support for tough D. This new stadium will be a factor in years to come for the crowd to get involved and make a positive impact for OUR JACKS!

Comment

Regarding the band. They had a drum major on the east side. It happens a lot actually in compititons. Drum majors move as needed depnding on the formation and other factors.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If it's 3rd and 2 I want 17,000 people on their feet screaming in support for tough D. This new stadium will be a factor in years to come for the crowd to get involved and make a positive impact for OUR JACKS!
          This is the part I agree with, however, could our crowd wait until the opposing offense gets to the LOS before we start screaming? Seems like as soon as 3rd down is announced everyone makes a bunch of noise and by the time the O is ready to snap it is quiet again. Drives me nuts. Also, why can't we get a pass, run, & ball call for the defense to let them know what is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes I agree, the drunken mouth breather spewing his beer breath chew spit screaming inconsequential nonsense is uncalled for. The guy screaming at the ref for a horrible call, or making fun of the opposition is just plain poor sportsmanship. If it's 3rd and 2 I want 17,000 people on their feet screaming in support for tough D. This new stadium will be a factor in years to come for the crowd to get involved and make a positive impact for OUR JACKS!
            Absolutely, but have 19,340 on their feet.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Regarding the band. They had a drum major on the east side. It happens a lot actually in compititons. Drum majors move as needed depnding on the formation and other factors.
              I stand corrected then, I know nothing about band other than watching the Pride and seeing where the director is. Kevin Kessler did say at the last Staters luncheon that he did want to try to get the east side more involved.
              Did anyone else notice they are starting to play the Star Wars theme song between 3rd and 4th down when we are on D. This is something he seems to have taken from Iowa, he received his doctorate from there, the entire crowd also does a what could be described as the gator clap during the song. I'd post a video but don't have those skills.

Comment

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
                I'm not a music person and never part of the Pride but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact you can't move the director around on the field. Every college stadium I have been at does the same thing our band does. The fact they spell Jacks to the east side is something I've not seen other bands do with their school names. Also, I went to the east side concessions during halftime and could hear the band the whole time.
                My bigger issue is the lack of enthusiasm from SDSU fans. It almost made me feel like we were at church. Very little chearing when our defense is on the field, no excitement when the team entered the stadium and an overall lack of interest in supporting the team. Good things Jacks fans had a game to get the rust off before the Bison come to town. Hopefully everyone brings their voices and an ability to get loud this weekend or we will be embarrassed by the bison fans. There is a reason the Seahawk fans are called the twelves and at Texas AM they have a sign that says 12th man. We as fans can help make an impact on the game but that can't happen sitting on our hands. This lethargic attitude drives me crazy. Ok I'm done now and got that off my chest.
                Oh, it's going to happen. Does every time the Bison come to town. Their 3k-5k will sound just like, if not louder than our 12k-14k. They know how to bring it.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                  Absolutely, but have 19,340 on their feet.
                  I'll agree with that next year when that's what the capacity is, but for now let's shoot for the mark of 17k pretty much capacity as of now.😀

Comment

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
                    I stand corrected then, I know nothing about band other than watching the Pride and seeing where the director is. Kevin Kessler did say at the last Staters luncheon that he did want to try to get the east side more involved.
                    Did anyone else notice they are starting to play the Star Wars theme song between 3rd and 4th down when we are on D. This is something he seems to have taken from Iowa, he received his doctorate from there, the entire crowd also does a what could be described as the gator clap during the song. I'd post a video but don't have those skills.
                    I think the song you are referencing is the Imperial March (Darth Vader's theme). I would not call that the star wars theme song, still John Williams but I digress.

Imperial March
                    https://youtu.be/QzntZLHcYy0

Star wars theme
                    https://youtu.be/_D0ZQPqeJkk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      I think the song you are referencing is the Imperial March (Darth Vader's theme). I would not call that the star wars theme song, still John Williams but I digress.

Imperial March
                      https://youtu.be/QzntZLHcYy0

Star wars theme
                      https://youtu.be/_D0ZQPqeJkk

Plus bands have been doing that for years and if not decades. In 2000 when I was a freshman I tried talking them into it. Obviously that message finally got through 15 years later. If you listen on saturday football its pretty common. But I am glad we do it now.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

To be fair I wasn't trying to be critical so much as I was have accuracy in the description. For those who did not attend

Comment

also my turn to nerd it up a bit. The SD symphony will be playing a show next spring that is basically Star Wars and some stuff from the movies. Its actually a pretty popular show. This will probably be the 3rd time they have played star wars in the last 5 years. I for one will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            That old fart was not me. Just for the record.
                            The old "fart" in question was the Sports information director for 30 years, now retired. He knows and has cheered for Jackrabbit Athletics since he took that job when he got back from Viet Nam. A guy who laughingly took the nickname "Foggy" in reference to his glass eye he inherited after a grenade got too close, but thank god no closer. If you ever want to know anything about Jackrabbit sports that guy has forgotten more than any of us will ever know........his wife used to cheer every single game before she passed away, while he sat up in the booth up above. I think he is still getting used to being in the crowd a little bit, and he gets nervous about the game. That's a staunch Jackrabbit family, most drive back every game day from Minneapolis, and they have done their fair share of cheering, my friends.

The former player wasn't cheering, he was having an entire slurred conversation not even facing the game, been there done that, but I can understand why it would annoy a person as well, especially when he was in direct blocking sight. Two sides to every story.
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up.

That gentleman was a gem to this institution and he can say what he wants. I've witnessed him cheering loudly at many a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                                The old "fart" in question was the Sports information director for 30 years, now retired. He knows and has cheered for Jackrabbit Athletics since he took that job when he got back from Viet Nam. A guy who laughingly took the nickname "Foggy" in reference to his glass eye he inherited after a grenade got too close, but thank god no closer. If you ever want to know anything about Jackrabbit sports that guy has forgotten more than any of us will ever know........his wife used to cheer every single game before she passed away, while he sat up in the booth up above. I think he is still getting used to being in the crowd a little bit, and he gets nervous about the game. That's a staunch Jackrabbit family, most drive back every game day from Minneapolis, and they have done their fair share of cheering, my friends.

The former player wasn't cheering, he was having an entire slurred conversation not even facing the game, been there done that, but I can understand why it would annoy a person as well, especially when he was in direct blocking sight. Two sides to every story.
                                As a student Ron Lenz was in a couple of classes with me, although he denies knowing of me but I have since gained about 100 lbs so I can see his recall being overloaded. None-the-less, I think he is a great guy. He does speak his mind. A few years back while he was still on the job, I travelled to Northern Colorado for a football game. I had earphones or packman device and was listening to the UNC announcers who had little good to say about SDSU. A few days later I saw Ron on the street and I mentioned the UNC announcers and his reply was "What do you expect them to say, we played like crap". As I recall Ron was absolutely correct we did not win that game nor did we play good. A straight shooter and like someone said he has forgot more than what any of us have learned about SDSU athletics.

Did that former player tailgate just a little too much? Right again about two sides to every story.
                                Last edited by Nidaros; 09-28-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X