New Jackrabbit Sports Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jackrabbit Sports Service

The Watertown Public Opinion newspaper now has stories on SDSU athletics provided by the new "Jackrabbit Sports Service". I understand the WPO has joined with a few other dailies in the State to sponsor the Jackrabbit Sports Service -- it's like having shared reporters focusing on SDSU Athletics. (Bob Mercer does something similar on politics and state government for several dailies.)

So far, I'm very impressed. In yesterday's WPO, there is a feature story on Watertown's Patrick Schuster, Senior backup linebacker, #17, well written by Shawn Minor. Schuster has battled through several injuries and is one of the reasons our linebackers are very strong this year. He's a backup but would start on many teams. The story was given the top have of the front page of the sports section in the Public Opinion. On the next page, the top story taking up most of the upper half of the page is one written by Tyler Teal about today's game against SUU. I do not recall the WPO having such in-depth coverage of the Jacks before. I think it'll help sell papers so good move on WPO's part.*

Jacks#1Fan is a former sports editor of the Public Opinion.

*okay, disclosure: my brother is the WPO publisher.

Re: New Jackrabbit Sports Service

The SD dailies help counter AL domination by providing this alternative coverage of the flagship lanndgrant SDSU. Solid choice by the papers to give readers what they're interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      The Watertown Public Opinion newspaper now has stories on SDSU athletics provided by the new "Jackrabbit Sports Service". I understand the WPO has joined with a few other dailies in the State to sponsor the Jackrabbit Sports Service -- it's like having shared reporters focusing on SDSU Athletics. (Bob Mercer does something similar on politics and state government for several dailies.)

So far, I'm very impressed. In yesterday's WPO, there is a feature story on Watertown's Patrick Schuster, Senior backup linebacker, #17, well written by Shawn Minor. Schuster has battled through several injuries and is one of the reasons our linebackers are very strong this year. He's a backup but would start on many teams. The story was given the top have of the front page of the sports section in the Public Opinion. On the next page, the top story taking up most of the upper half of the page is one written by Tyler Teal about today's game against SUU. I do not recall the WPO having such in-depth coverage of the Jacks before. I think it'll help sell papers so good move on WPO's part.*

Jacks#1Fan is a former sports editor of the Public Opinion.

*okay, disclosure: my brother is the WPO publisher.
      Seems like an excellent way to build state-wide support. Despite being close to Brookings, I have noticed an abundance of USD followers in Watertown, but they have right to express their support too. Mitchell and Watertown seem to have a great deal of SDSU support. I got a feeling this concept will work.

Comment

I thought some may be interested in seeing how the Watertown Public Opinion is using the stories from the Jackrabbits Sports Service ("JSS"). Below is a picture I took of Page 1B (front page for the second section) in tonight's paper. The top story, "Work in Progress", is by Tyler Teal of the JSS. The wide-angle picture of Coughlin is by Phu Nguyen of the JSS. The story on the right-hand column "Jackrabbits set to return after bye week --- SDSU to host Robert Morris" is also by Teal and carries over to page 3B.

Both stories are well written and a welcome addition to the WPO: one cannot get enough Jackrabbits sports info.

[IMG][/IMG]
        Last edited by JackJD; 09-25-2015, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Competition improves products. Looking forward to seeing how the JSS shakes things up.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
          X