Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For those who like polls:

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    ...I would not write off the "for real" part if we end up losing to NDSU....
    Good to keep that in mind. NDSU is not going to write off their season because of their opening loss to Montana.

Comment

I would not write off the "for real" part if we end up losing to NDSU. It's a long season whether we win or lose that one game.
      I'm just saying we will know a lot more about the Jacks and where they stand after the NDSU game.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        Kolpack's poll seems to be designed to create controversy. Portland State ahead of NDSU in the top 5? And UND in the top 20?

NDSU is still a top 5, possibly #1 once the newcomers get more experience. SDSU, UNI and Ill State are all currently top 10. We will see who is for real as the season progresses. But one thing that is again obvious. The MVFC is still the best conference in FCS. The Big Sky has four decent teams. Poly, MSU, UM and EWU. After those four the quality drops considerably. Watched a bit of the UND game against Drake, I would not expect UND to contend against NDSU this week. I expect it to look a lot like the SDSU v UND games we have seen since they moved up. Ugly.
        There is no objectivity on the Fargo Forum Bison beat. Kolpack is as "homer" as they get. No doubt NDSU's upcoming schedule has something to do with his poll. It is in part to make NDSU look better if they beat a UND or SDSU, and in part cover in the event of a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
          Beating Kansas had to have done something for the SDSU program...a monkey off the back sort of thing. I expect that would give the team more confidence and/or chemistry.
          Beating NDSU would get a big monkey off the Jacks back. FB and MBB have seem to wet their pants when they see green and gold of late.

Comment

Assuming neither slips in the next two weeks, the hype for that game is going to be higher than ever. However, I would not write off the "for real" part if we end up losing to NDSU. It's a long season whether we win or lose that one game. I'd say that last year's team ended up being the real deal in spite of three disappointing mid season losses.

Do enough to get into the playoffs and hope you are playing your best football of the year when they start. Going into the NDSU game with three wins would go a long way toward the first part of that equation.
            Looking at the case for Gameday to come to Brookings (Not possible after NDSU lost to Montana), the Jacks are much better thus far than projected by many including myself. This will undoubtedly be the FCS matchup of the week and potentially regular season matchup of the year. IF NDSU hadn't lost to Montana, I could have seen an incredibly slim chance of a Gameday in Brookings. I don't see this happening now, but it's fun to think about.
            "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
              Looking at the case for Gameday to come to Brookings (Not possible after NDSU lost to Montana), the Jacks are much better thus far than projected by many including myself. This will undoubtedly be the FCS matchup of the week and potentially regular season matchup of the year. IF NDSU hadn't lost to Montana, I could have seen an incredibly slim chance of a Gameday in Brookings. I don't see this happening now, but it's fun to think about.
              So ... if it did happen, where would they set it up?
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                So ... if it did happen, where would they set it up?
                Good question. Here are my thoughts:
                1. Sylvan Green: historic and beautiful
                2. Jackrabbit Green with union in background: close to stadium and res halls
                3. Downtown Brookings: just a nice location
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

From the NCAA website, the STATS FCS top 25 as of September 14:
                  Jacksonville State, after almost getting Auburn, takes over as @1. Coastal Carolina, 2-0, is at #2. Sam Houston State, 0-1, is #3 and NDSU 1-1, is #4.
                  Illinois State, Villanova and SDSU are 5-7.

Here are the MVFC schools in the top 25 and receiving vote:
                  4 NDSU 1-1
                  5 Illinois State 1-1
                  7 SDSU 2-0
                  9 UNI 1-1
                  16 Youngstown 1-1
                  23 Indiana State 1-1
                  Receiving votes: WIU; USD; SIU;

Comment

The Bison have fallen behind us in the Sagarin Rankings. We are #1 in the FCS.

Man, that's one smart computer!

Comment

Jacksonville St, Portland St and the 4 Mvfc schools should all be top 5 votes. I agree those sagarin computers are doing a fine job.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        The Bison have fallen behind us in the Sagarin Rankings. We are #1 in the FCS.

Man, that's one smart computer!
                        The Montana loss is starting to hurt NDSU. It's Montana's only win of the year. I know we obviously need to beat them but that is beginning to look like a bad loss for them and their strength of schedule is pretty weak if Montana isn't good. They also don't have to play ISU-R which doesn't help their SOS.

Comment

Here's a link to Sagarin / USA Today rankings Roy cited. Jacks at 67, the highest-rated FCS team. Bison at 70.

Comment

Massey Composite, for a broader view across several polls:

http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I still consider NDSU the favorite until we can prove otherwise. The Massey Composite cited by Prairiehaas supports that position. The target is on NDSU, not us. I hope we can get it done...but first, we have to destroy Robert Morris.

Comment

A bit of drift but it comes down to seeding. Last year, Jacks and Bison in the same semi final bracket, UNI and ISUr in the same bracket, our #5 ISUb in the third bracket and we were shut in the forth set. The committee knows what they are doing, make us beat up on each other while allowing the weak sisters to enhance their record by going deeper.

Man up committee and seed based on the record. We deserve a top MVC team in each of the 4 brackets!

Comment

Working...
                                X