For those who like polls:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For those who like polls:

I believe I read over on bv that Sagarin currently has SDSU as a favorite at home against the Bison after Saturday's games. I have to say I'm impressed with what SDSU has done in its first two games. I did not expect you guys to be this good this year...looks like you have found some pretty good replacements to go with your returning starters.

Comment

Sagarin's ranking system has NDSU at 66 and SDSU at 68. Illinois State at 72.
      http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

I haven't looked at the Sagarin rankings enough to understand how the predictor etc. works.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I haven't looked at the Sagarin rankings enough to understand how the predictor etc. works.
        NDSU has a power rating of 68.93 and SDSU 68.00. His ratings suggest a 3.00 home field advantage be added to the home team's rating so that would put SDSU at 71, ahead of NDSU.

Comment

I don't know either...but I do consider it as reliable a predictor as any out there.

Comment

You have to look at their ratings, not their rankings, which for NDSU is 68.93 and SDSU is 68. (It is just a coincidence that SDSU is RANKED 68th in the list and has a RATING of 68. If you check out the rest of the list, you'll see that the rankings are configured by sorting the ratings from highest to lowest) Since the game is @ SDSU, you give them a home advantage, which Sagarin shows to be 2.65 right now (this number changes throughout the year). So, adding 2.65 to SDSU's 68 gives them a total of 70.65. Then you take the difference between the ratings, so 70.65 - 68.93 = 1.72, which means that SDSU is favored by 1.72 points, according to Sagarin.

Comment

Looking ahead, Sagarin shows SDSU as a favorite over Robert Morris by 38.25 points. After our first two games, I can see 5dimes setting a spread around 31 points.

Comment

Thanks for the explanations on the Sagarin predictor.

Comment

According to the Sagarin Ratings, there are only 10 teams in the G-5 conferences with a better power rating than SDSU and 53 that are lower. Would we ever have predicted this when we went D1 11 years ago?? And 10 P 5 conference teams are rated below us including 4 in the Big 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                    According to the Sagarin Ratings, there are only 10 teams in the G-5 conferences with a better power rating than SDSU and 53 that are lower. Would we ever have predicted this when we went D1 11 years ago?? And 10 P 5 conference teams are rated below us including 4 in the Big 10.
                    It is amazing to think that if(when) the P5 creates their own league, and the G5 combines with FCS, that SDSU would still be in the top 25, maybe top 10. I think this would be great for college football as a whole. The bottom half or quarter of FCS teams would really struggle, and might be better off going D2 at that point. It seems like a change similar to this is inevitable, just not sure how soon it would happen. 3 years? 5? 10?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      It is amazing to think that if(when) the P5 creates their own league, and the G5 combines with FCS, that SDSU would still be in the top 25, maybe top 10. I think this would be great for college football as a whole. The bottom half or quarter of FCS teams would really struggle, and might be better off going D2 at that point. It seems like a change similar to this is inevitable, just not sure how soon it would happen. 3 years? 5? 10?
                      This! I'm hoping it's sooner than later!

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                        I believe I read over on bv that Sagarin currently has SDSU as a favorite at home against the Bison after Saturday's games. I have to say I'm impressed with what SDSU has done in its first two games. I did not expect you guys to be this good this year...looks like you have found some pretty good replacements to go with your returning starters.
                        What's the football motto over on B-ville? We don't rebuild, we reload But really, its early in the season. I think October 3rd will tell if this SDSU team is for real or not.

Comment

I doubt D2 is an option for one sport such as football and keeping everything else D1. Seems like they would have to drop everything to D2 which no doubt would bring up a bunch of questions to which I don't have the answer. Seems the Pioneer League got its start when schools like Butler and Dayton started to dominate in D3 Football. That's when the regs were changed to their current status by the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                            What's the football motto over on B-ville? We don't rebuild, we reload But really, its early in the season. I think October 3rd will tell if this SDSU team is for real or not.
                            Beating Kansas had to have done something for the SDSU program...a monkey off the back sort of thing. I expect that would give the team more confidence and/or chemistry.

Comment

This is what should happen. But it makes too much sense so it won't.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                                Assuming neither slips in the next two weeks, the hype for that game is going to be higher than ever. However, I would not write off the "for real" part if we end up losing to NDSU. It's a long season whether we win or lose that one game. I'd say that last year's team ended up being the real deal in spite of three disappointing mid season losses.

Do enough to get into the playoffs and hope you are playing your best football of the year when they start. Going into the NDSU game with three wins would go a long way toward the first part of that equation.

Comment

Working...
                                X