USD: COA for 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD: COA for 2016-2017

USD announced this morning it was providing COA for all sports starting next season, 2016-17. Link to the press release:
    http://goyotes.com/news/2015/9/4/GEN_0904155838.aspx

SDSU next?

Re: USD: COA for 2016-2017

Pretty safe bet that SDSU will also offer FCOA for all sports. With the other 3 Dakota schools already announcing plans to do so, the cost of not offering FCOA is likely greater than the cost of offering FCOA. I think the only question is if SDSU will continue to offer all their current sports.
    USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
      Pretty safe bet that SDSU will also offer FCOA for all sports. With the other 3 Dakota schools already announcing plans to do so, the cost of not offering FCOA is likely greater than the cost of offering FCOA. I think the only question is if SDSU will continue to offer all their current sports.
      Has USD mentioned how they're going to fund this?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        Has USD mentioned how they're going to fund this?
        https://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/20...al_BOR0415.pdf

Check out page 11 on this page. It details USD's GAF increase request from last April. It doesn't detail EXACTLY what the increase will go towards, but they asked for a $4.50 increase this year, with a total of $13.50 GAF increase over the next three years. I'd be pissed if I was a current student and they were using GAF to fund student athletes COA.

Here is the exact language they used, "USD Athletics programs remains under funded. Areas of significant need include: full
        time coaching staff rather than graduate assistants and part time help; additional FTE for student
        welfare such as sports medicine and strength conditioning training; salary enhancement to move
        closer to the average salary of the conference; increased recruiting budget, increased meal
        allowances for pre-season and holiday breaks, and expanded events management staff.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Did USD get BOR approval to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
            Did USD get BOR approval to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            All GAF increases passed last spring.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
              https://sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda/20...al_BOR0415.pdf

Check out page 11 on this page. It details USD's GAF increase request from last April. It doesn't detail EXACTLY what the increase will go towards, but they asked for a $4.50 increase this year, with a total of $13.50 GAF increase over the next three years. I'd be pissed if I was a current student and they were using GAF to fund student athletes COA.

Here is the exact language they used, "USD Athletics programs remains under funded. Areas of significant need include: full
              time coaching staff rather than graduate assistants and part time help; additional FTE for student
              welfare such as sports medicine and strength conditioning training; salary enhancement to move
              closer to the average salary of the conference; increased recruiting budget, increased meal
              allowances for pre-season and holiday breaks, and expanded events management staff.
              Thanks. I recall reading an article about that last spring. Herbster said those items listed were number 1 to be done. We shall see.......

BTW, Total subsidies currently:

USD- $10.7M
              SDSU-$ 8.5M

% Subsidy :

USD- 71.9%
              SDSU-54.5%

When USD gets their student increase that percentage will go to about 75%. Good grief.

Comment

Great to see that at USD you can go in debt to ensure that athletes can get paid to go to school. The ought to be a law that prevents this its just dispicable.

Comment

I think the conclusions some are reaching about USD may not be correct. There seems to be a suggestion the COA may be covered by student fees. I think the regents have said fees could not be used for athletic scholarships. I suppose one could argue that be shifting items around in a budget there may be a workaround but the regents are going to flyspeck that. I hope we hear more in the next few days on how the COA will be funded at USD. NDSU has made clear they are raising the COA money through donations. Another guess on my part: SDSU will announce as soon as the source of funding is confirmed.

Comment

Working...
                  X