Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Just going to throw this out there:
    IMO It would be CRAZY to offer COA to Equestrian considering it's already the 2nd most expensive sport currently to fund. So If the administration was to drop Equestrian...what men's sports would also have to go to make this work? Or do we really go down the path of offering Equestrian full COA's also?
    It seems ridiculous to me to spend almost 1.4m-1.6m(estimate) on this sport just for title IX purposes if COA's were paid to them

IMO it has been very noble of SDSU to not only not cut sports in the D1 era but actually add a huge(budget wise) sport. Time to be smart about this. There's no way we complete in football without offering COA's to the football players. I can't imagine we would put almost 100m into our football program's facilities and then not offer COA's.

Time to "sharpen our pencils" as they say and make some "big boy" decisions.

Go Jacks!!
    Last edited by propar80; 09-02-2015, 08:29 PM.
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Two points. I can't buy the comment that we are not pro-active. Sorry, but $103,000,000 in facilities for our teams in the last few years, is not chump change. We had to bond for about $40 million of that, and those bonds have to be paid off. The department is aware of FCOA and I think they are fully cognizant of the situation. Let's face it...it is a lot easier for NDSU to jump right in (and maybe even UND) on the issue, but we will have our work cut out for us in finding the funds to compete.

#2: Watch for MBB and WBB to move to FCOA by next year. As I noted earlier, football is a whole different animal, with Title IX complications. I don't think we are going to be funding equestrian FCOA, but part of the answer may be whether we are now free to meet just ONE of the three prongs of Title IX. We should be, as that was the requirement put on USD when they joined us in D-I.

Anyway, I think our athletic department will do what is necessary to keep us in the fray.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        Just going to throw this out there:
        IMO It would be CRAZY to offer COA to Equestrian considering it's already the 2nd most expensive sport currently to fund. So If the administration was to drop Equestrian...what men's sports would also have to go to make this work? Or do we really go down the path of offering Equestrian full COA's also?
        It seems ridiculous to me to spend almost 1.4m-1.6m(estimate) on this sport just for title IX purposes if COA's were paid to them

IMO it has been very noble of SDSU to not only not cut sports in the D1 era but actually add a huge(budget wise) sport. Time to be smart about this. There's no way we complete in football without offering COA's to the football players. I can't imagine we would put almost 100m into our football program's facilities and then not offer COA's.

Time to "sharpen our pencils" as they say and make some "big boy" decisions.

Go Jacks!!
        I tend to agree about equestrian. It is expensive sport and took care our Title IX issues in the past.
        Now we appear to be in a new day. From what I have read, the supporters of Equestrian have been very generous furnishing horses and financial support. The bigger problem with equestrian is the NCAA is about to drop their sanction of sport because it has not caught on at some schools. I suspect the NCAA may drop this sport and how that will affect Title Xl remains to be seen. With a new Equestrian facility, what do we do with that? We can't give the donors money back. Those who have been generous in giving, do what in the future? Lots of issues to deal with.

Comment

USD has joined the party:

http://goyotes.com/news/2015/9/4/GEN_0904155838.aspx

Comment

Good for USD. But this only forces our hand. I think we can say goodbye to the horses. all my opinion though. We can all agree SDSU athletics is going to have to change in some manor. Or they'll have to find a big pile of previously undiscovered money.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              Good for USD. But this only forces our hand. I think we can say goodbye to the horses. all my opinion though. We can all agree SDSU athletics is going to have to change in some manor. Or they'll have to find a big pile of previously undiscovered money.
              Through donations and such, is the horses program rather self sustaining? its a big part of the budget, but its also brings in a lot of donations to cover it?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I don't know but there's also the question of wither or not it will remain a NCAA sport

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Through donations and such, is the horses program rather self sustaining? its a big part of the budget, but its also brings in a lot of donations to cover it?
                  No, equestrian is far from self sustaining. It is the 2nd largest budget sport in the SDSU athletic department. Behind football but ahead of both basketballs.

Cutting equestrian is a valid option, especially now the sport has lost it's "emerging sport" status with the NCAA. But then we have to cut 40+ roster spots AND 15-20 scholarships on the men's side of the gender pole. That is if we want to continue to satisfy the proportionality prong of Title IX regulations.

I agree that our hand has been forced. We need to make an announcement within the next few days.

Being the 4th of the Dakota schools to make this announcement proves my point that we are not proactive when it comes to decisions like this. I agree we are being more than proactive with our facility upgrades. But you poll our over 500 student athletes and ask them what they want: 1. Better facilities OR 2. $4000-5000 cash per year. #2 would win in a landslide!

Comment

At some point the expense side of the equation has to be adressed or you drag the entire organization down with you.

Imo....Sell needs to make the announcement and then start figuring out what sports go to balance out equestrian. I'm afraid it's time.

NDSU has 16 sports...USD has 17, UND has 19. Nothing wrong with getting down to that figure.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      No, equestrian is far from self sustaining. It is the 2nd largest budget sport in the SDSU athletic department. Behind football but ahead of both basketballs.

Cutting equestrian is a valid option, especially now the sport has lost it's "emerging sport" status with the NCAA. But then we have to cut 40+ roster spots AND 15-20 scholarships on the men's side of the gender pole. That is if we want to continue to satisfy the proportionality prong of Title IX regulations.

I agree that our hand has been forced. We need to make an announcement within the next few days.

Being the 4th of the Dakota schools to make this announcement proves my point that we are not proactive when it comes to decisions like this. I agree we are being more than proactive with our facility upgrades. But you poll our over 500 student athletes and ask them what they want: 1. Better facilities OR 2. $4000-5000 cash per year. #2 would win in a landslide!
                      I thought there were a lot of donors who helped offset the cost, but i am probably mistaken like usual.

Where is the breakdown of what each sport costs? isnt that somewhere on here to see? I thought we had something like that before.

Well lucky for them, they are probably going to be getting both. I dont think this slows down the facilities upgrades as much as its going to as Donors for more.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If SDSU were to offer around the same $ figure for FCOA as USD just announced, the dollar amount for 80 full scholarships on the men's side (football and basketball) and 80 on the women's side would be approximately 670,000. With a 5 dollar increase in ticket sales for 6 football games (at 10000 tickets sold per game), an added $300000 would be generated in revenue. If you looked at the men's basketball games and increased ticket sales $5 at 2500 tickets sold per game for 15 home games, an additional $187000 would be added to revenue. What I'm getting at is that a small increase in ticket price at modest attendance numbers would cover over half of the new expense of COA stipends. Granted, in that scenario, only football, men's and women's basketball, volleyball, and probably track would receive FCOA. I think we all agree that in order to do this right, we should offer FCOA for all sports at SDSU, and not notpick. But there is no denying that the driver of this is football, followed by men's and women's basketball, and at the very least, there are avenues to consider that would significantly offset the cost of funding FCOA for those sports before the idea of cutting other sports is entertained. This would also take pressure off a donations that are already being strateched for facility upgrades. I, for one, have no issue paying 5 dollars more for a football ticket if it is what is needed to keep SDSU competitive against the regional competition. This is just my opinion though, of course.

I also am in agreement that equestrian is likely headed towards extinction, whether SDSU cuts it first, or the NCAA kills it.

Comment

If the NCAA stops viewing Equestrian as a sport, I imagine it will remain as a club sport possibly? Equestrian has an allotment of 15 scholarships, but 46 roster spots. I think we should add Women's Bowling which allows 5 scholarships and some schools have a roster size of 15 or more.
                          Women's Rugby which allows 12 scholarships and typically has a roster size of 35. We could join the Heart of America Conference. Gymnastics might be another option which allows 12 scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            I thought there were a lot of donors who helped offset the cost, but i am probably mistaken like usual.

Where is the breakdown of what each sport costs? isnt that somewhere on here to see? I thought we had something like that before.

Well lucky for them, they are probably going to be getting both. I dont think this slows down the facilities upgrades as much as its going to as Donors for more.
                            Here is the document from 2012. I'll try to find more recent breakdown.
                            https://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agend...ecember/28.pdf
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
                              If the NCAA stops viewing Equestrian as a sport, I imagine it will remain as a club sport possibly? Equestrian has an allotment of 15 scholarships, but 46 roster spots. I think we should add Women's Bowling which allows 5 scholarships and some schools have a roster size of 15 or more.
                              Women's Rugby which allows 12 scholarships and typically has a roster size of 35. We could join the Heart of America Conference. Gymnastics might be another option which allows 12 scholarships.
                              what about LaCrosse? Denver currently plays the sport

Comment

I think Title IX can be taken care of a few different ways if/when Euquestrian goes away. I think a ton of donations have been stuck into the sport for the facilities, but the scholarship #'s alone and travel (with horses), makes it expensive anyway you cut it.

The big issue with cost of attendance is the whole Title IX, have to pay equally for each sport, since you don't really want to use Equestrian as an option for this, the only other single sex sport you have is Soccer. Which isn't going to get you up. If you do softball, baseball is going to complain, if you do any of the other sports the counter is going to complain.

As recent as a few years ago I thought they could have helped themselves out by dropping Wrestling and Men's Golf, but they have hired new coaches and had a recent success and money pumped into those programs, so I don't see cutting sports as an option.

My guess is they do MBB and WBB next year, and then try to figure out how to do all sports starting in 2017, at the same time, the earlier a definite announcement is made the better.

This is a question I don't have the answer to so if anyone knows please answer

Is this part of their scholarship LOI offer? Or is this a different program that says if you meet X, Y and Z criteria (GPA, study sessions, practices, etc.) You get it? Is this administrated by the athletic department or by the specific sports department? The reason being it could/will impact recruiting so SDSU should make a firm decision either way sooner rather than later, because the whole well maybe answer doesn't help anyone in the whole process.

Comment

Working...
                                X