• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official...

Zim is in.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...r-me/32312257/
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: It's Official...

Congrats to Zim. Sadly I think there are going to be some SDSU fans who think there should be more coverage regardless of how much he does. Hopefully this means he will be traveling with the teams on road games giving a live chat.

Comment

Now that we will be getting back to a full-time person, the coverage will hopefully return to the level we were used to. I don't think anyone was anti-Matt,but there was frustration with the Argus for dragging their feet on staffing and he unfortunately took the brunt of that. Looking forward to the Zimmer era.

Comment

Ugh. I was really hoping it would shake out the other direction. Bummer to see Matt officially go. He's done some fantastic work covering the D2 level, and good reporters at our level are getting fewer and farther between.

Congrats to Matt and congrats to you SDSU fans. I hope Matt fails miserably at living up to your overblown expectations for a local newspaper beat reporter and decides to jump back into the Augie/USF beat as a result. But based on the fact that he's pretty good at what he does for a living, I highly doubt that's going to happen. Oh well. Here's to hoping his Augie/USF replacement can take over and continue to do good work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          Ugh. I was really hoping it would shake out the other direction. Bummer to see Matt officially go. He's done some fantastic work covering the D2 level, and good reporters at our level are getting fewer and farther between.

Congrats to Matt and congrats to you SDSU fans. I hope Matt fails miserably at living up to your overblown expectations for a local newspaper beat reporter and decides to jump back into the Augie/USF beat as a result. But based on the fact that he's pretty good at what he does for a living, I highly doubt that's going to happen. Oh well. Here's to hoping his Augie/USF replacement can take over and continue to do good work.
          Overblown expectations? At least we have expectations...

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Overblown expectations? At least we have expectations...
            As my good friend slosho once told me, slow your roll. It was a joke based on how many people on here unrealistically think Matt should be cranking out 14 SDSU athletics articles a day.

As far as your "at least we have expectations" comment goes, I'm not sure I've indicated that THE Augustana University doesn't have expectations. So if that was just a petty jab at Augie for still being a D2 school, good one. Even though it wasn't even all that clear or effective.

In all seriousness, I wasn't actually trying to pick a fight. Anyone who has read my previous comments on the Matt Zimmer saga knows I just appreciate the effort he put in for Augie (and USF...and D2 athletics as a whole) and I'm lashing out because I'm sad to see him go. Sorry for hurting your feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
              As my good friend slosho once told me, slow your roll. It was a joke based on how many people on here unrealistically think Matt should be cranking out 14 SDSU athletics articles a day.

As far as your "at least we have expectations" comment goes, I'm not sure I've indicated that THE Augustana University doesn't have expectations. So if that was just a petty jab at Augie for still being a D2 school, good one. Even though it wasn't even all that clear or effective.

In all seriousness, I wasn't actually trying to pick a fight. Anyone who has read my previous comments on the Matt Zimmer saga knows I just appreciate the effort he put in for Augie (and USF...and D2 athletics as a whole) and I'm lashing out because I'm sad to see him go. Sorry for hurting your feelings.
              Not intended to be smack question, but when did Augustana become a University? I honestly thought the official name I was AugustanaI College. It is a fine institution BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Now that we will be getting back to a full-time person, the coverage will hopefully return to the level we were used to. I don't think anyone was anti-Matt,but there was frustration with the Argus for dragging their feet on staffing and he unfortunately took the brunt of that. Looking forward to the Zimmer era.
                I don't now about that. Just take a peak at the rather tacky comment from an SDSU fan on the story stating that Matt will be the new beat reporter for SDSU. I'm on record liking Matt's writing and I think he's a good guy. I get it that people really liked Terry. His coverage was huge in growing the fan base. But I think people need to cut Matt some slack. We now have a beat writer again. Let us all rejoice.

Comment

Will be official in a few days.... http://www.argusleader.com/story/blogs/panderson/2015/08/21/augustana-name-change/32108499/

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Not intended to be smack question, but when did Augustana become a University? I honestly thought the official name I was Augustana College. It is a fine institution BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    I don't now about that. Just take a peak at the rather tacky comment from an SDSU fan on the story stating that Matt will be the new beat reporter for SDSU. I'm on record liking Matt's writing and I think he's a good guy. I get it that people really liked Terry. His coverage was huge in growing the fan base. But I think people need to cut Matt some slack. We now have a beat writer again. Let us all rejoice.
                    I dunno. The comment you refer to seems to me to be pretty solid absurdist humor. Different strokes . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I am not one that has been upset with the perceived "lack of coverage", but I have been critical of Zimmer's content in the past.

As of today, I think we should all hit the "reset" button with Zimmer and let his work speak for itself. He's the full-time SDSU beat writer now, so it is time to sink or swim.

I welcome Matt to the Jackrabbit family and hope he swims. He has some awfully large shoes to fill, but to steal a line from Pitino, TV isn't walking through that door....

Comment

Matt Z. will do well on the SDSU beat. Terry V. did well, and so did Chris Solari before Terry. I think most of the criticism the past few months has been directed, generally and appropriately, to the Argus Leader for moving so slowly in filling vacant positions in the sports department. SDSU fans don't have to apologize for being demanding and having high expectations. That contributes to a winning environment. A new beat writer for USF and Augustana University -- yes, university, the coming name change was confirmed by the school the other day-- starts Aug. 31, if I recall Matt's blog announcement accurately. I hope Augie and USF get a good beat writer, too. I like reading about them, too.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Congrats to Matt. He's a good writer. However, he's not TV. He's Matt. Let him be that. It's great going forward that the Jackrabbits have a ft beat writer now.

Comment

Takk or thanks as They say in Norway. Augustana is in a different market then SDSU in terms of service. So I wish them well with their new name. Back to topic. Matt will do well as the next beat writer for SDSU.

Comment

Zimmer seems to be taking his job seriously. Another SDSU related article.
                              http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...team/72481690/
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                              X