No announcement yet.

JJ Everard is trasfering to UNI....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JJ Everard is trasfering to UNI....???

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Recruiting and practice are two different things. How can you expect the same demeanor?
    Very well said.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

There were a few professors at State that I didn't particularly like, and it seems like they fell into one of two categories: 1) horrible teacher that I struggled to learn anything from, or 2) a slave master that loaded on the homework. Despite disliking them, I came away learning more from slave master-style professors than BBF-style teachers, and in the long run, appreciate them more.

Part of mentoring/coaching/teaching is pushing people to do more than they think they can. In a way, Bono's practices are probably like weed-out classes, but anatomy lecture probably is not quite as in-your-face.
      Last edited by SlapJack; 07-28-2015, 03:08 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
        Speaking with some of the wrestlers (I won't name names) this past season, I got many mixed reactions. He is an intense coach that demands and expects a lot from his athletes. During recruiting he was described as being likable, but he was different during practice. I have no problem with a coach that pushes his athletes. Some of the wrestlers I knew couldn't handle the pressure he put on them and quit. Other wrestlers liked the way he pushed them.i suppose it all depends on the individual. In my few encounters with Bono, he was extremely friendly. One thing that is for certain, the wrestling program is considerably better since Bono took over.
        This is about as good as I think I could have put it.
        I heard that one of the "holdovers" would beat out one of Bono's recruits in practice but he wouldn't get the wrestle in duels because he was a senior and Bono was trying to groom his prize recruiting class. Did this happen or not, I do not have a clue.
        I think Bono seems to coach some of his wrestlers more than others during matches but he knows them better than I do. There are some athletes who do not respond well being ridden their whole match. This could be the reason or it could be he tries to help them a couple of times and then if they don't listen, he gets flustered.
        The few times I've talked to coach Bono, he was a really nice, friendly and polite man. You can definitely tell that he is two different people from when he is in his normal life and when he is working. When he is working, he gets about as intense as you can get. If you aren't really intense when you are competing it might be a little tougher to relate to him.
        The way it looks to me is if coach Bono sticks around SDSU, they could/probably will have several wrestlers in the conversation of National Championship contenders for many years to come.

Comment

We have a heavyweight coming in this fall, who will be red-shirted, whom the coaches are VERY high on. They were depending on J. J. Everard to wrestle again in this, his senior year. And IMO, it was unlikely Everard could have red-shirted and been the starter next year.

Both Bono and Reader (who wrestled for Bono at Iowa State) are intense about what it takes to get your very best outcome in wrestling. They are hard nosed, and insistent on the same attitudes from their team members. The first year under Bono, Cody Pack differed with the coach, but his success came when he listened and adopted the same attitude as his coaches. Wrestling is one of the toughest sports of all, and it takes a lot to become the best you can be. The best understand that, the others either achieve less, or drop out of the sport.

Comment

This is just not true. Everard easily handled that recruit Sidhu from Canada. He would've been the starter after his redshirt with another year to get bigger and better.
            Not a smart move to let him go. SDSU will be giving up big points at least for 2 years at 285. It's a let's see how this kid matures and how he handles d1 wrestling especially now in the Big 12.
            Let's face it a lot of recruits have already left or quit this team for one reason or another. Here's the ones I remember. It'll be interesting to see how many stick from this new class.
            Paul Mascarenas
            Matt Seabold
            Brandon Brunner
            Jake Turk
            Hank Goettl
            Dalton Moran
            Quinn Smith
            Austin Oyen
            Chaas Delgado

Comment

Originally posted by latdrop View Post
              This is just not true. Everard easily handled that recruit Sidhu from Canada. He would've been the starter after his redshirt with another year to get bigger and better.
              Not a smart move to let him go. SDSU will be giving up big points at least for 2 years at 285. It's a let's see how this kid matures and how he handles d1 wrestling especially now in the Big 12.
              Let's face it a lot of recruits have already left or quit this team for one reason or another. Here's the ones I remember. It'll be interesting to see how many stick from this new class.
              Paul Mascarenas
              Matt Seabold
              Brandon Brunner
              Jake Turk
              Hank Goettl
              Dalton Moran
              Quinn Smith
              Austin Oyen
              Chaas Delgado
              So we should fire Bono for all these recruits leaving?

Comment

I hear there's a possibility that a couple of big name xfers might end up at SDSU! Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by latdrop View Post
                  I hear there's a possibility that a couple of big name xfers might end up at SDSU! Keep your fingers crossed.
                  Talk about a complete 180......

Comment

What I've heard is that JJ was on a 5yr plan with his schooling and he intended to take a red shirt next year, and that Bono had agreed to that plan. However, recently Bono changed his mind and said JJ had to wrestle next year. JJ was faced with losing his 5th yr of scholarship money, which may have cost him is ability to stay in and finish school. JJ talked to the UNI program and found out he could red shirt next year and then wrestle his Senior year for the Panthers. This would give JJ two more years to finish his degree, which was his plan all along. If this is the case all I can say is Good Luck JJ, and I for one respect your decision. ...and now Bono just needs to find or build another wrestler that is better than JJ.

Comment

Working...
                    X