X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dakota Marker

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Hope you are right. I just don't get it as it is not a long drive. Similar to Omaha and Lincoln.
    For some of your fellow citizens of SF, a trip to Renner is a budget buster. They are cheap no doubt about it,

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Some posters, or maybe just one poster, appear to take offense at my optimism about growth in attendance for football games. I do not contend we will see stadium-capacity crowds overnight but I see no reason why we cannot accelerate the overall trend that started with the switch to D1. And the trend line may not be constant: there may be a little two steps forward and one step back but overall, every sign is pointing to growth, substantial growth. I think larger crowds will be part of the reason even bigger crowds follow. Our fan base is still "learning" but I'm convinced we will get it done.
      I believe a lot of pessimistic observers will be surprised by the growth of attendance at SDSU football games over the next couple of years and beyond.

I started really following Jackrabbit football in 2001 when I was a high school senior and knew I would be attending SDSU, and the growth of the fan base from then to now has been nothing short of impressive. It's easy to forget that, since the end of the DI transition, SDSU has averaged more fans than we have seats every year. This has capped our growth, but that ceiling will be lifted this year and even higher in the following year.

I'm not saying we're going to go from averaging 11k to 19k immediately after opening the new stadium in its entirety, but an increase to 14-16k average attendance isn't only realistic, but likely. Obviously factors such as weather, how good the team, etc... will come into play, but the improved fan experience is going to do a lot to rally and expand the fan base.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        I believe a lot of pessimistic observers will be surprised by the growth of attendance at SDSU football games over the next couple of years and beyond.

I started really following Jackrabbit football in 2001 when I was a high school senior and knew I would be attending SDSU, and the growth of the fan base from then to now has been nothing short of impressive. It's easy to forget that, since the end of the DI transition, SDSU has averaged more fans than we have seats every year. This has capped our growth, but that ceiling will be lifted this year and even higher in the following year.

I'm not saying we're going to go from averaging 11k to 19k immediately after opening the new stadium in its entirety, but an increase to 14-16k average attendance isn't only realistic, but likely. Obviously factors such as weather, how good the team, etc... will come into play, but the improved fan experience is going to do a lot to rally and expand the fan base.
        The whole premise of the "build it and they will come" theory is the "they will come " part. If it wasn't true more than it wasn't,there'd be a whole lot less building projects going on than there are now,JMO.

Comment

Some posters, or maybe just one poster, appear to take offense at my optimism about growth in attendance for football games. I do not contend we will see stadium-capacity crowds overnight but I see no reason why we cannot accelerate the overall trend that started with the switch to D1. And the trend line may not be constant: there may be a little two steps forward and one step back but overall, every sign is pointing to growth, substantial growth. I think larger crowds will be part of the reason even bigger crowds follow. Our fan base is still "learning" but I'm convinced we will get it done.
          There is so much difference in this post and saying you will have Montana like support. So, so much difference.

Comment

The attendance numbers are high, but what we really need is ti grow our season ticket base. From what I have been told is has been growing by around 500 tickets a year, we need this to be around 3000 a year. I think right now we might be around 4200 season ticket holders.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              What tickles me now was the disappointment felt at XDSU's when the Presidents of Big Sky turned us down for membership. They did us a big favor so UND might think.
              THIS!!!! I am so friggin' happy that our schools DID NOT get accepted into the Big Fluffy!

Comment

Easy Nidaros. I'm a SF fan and I make it to every home game plus as many away games as possible including all the FBS games, but it is true. The SF fan base needs to do a better job of making an exodus north on Saturdays for games. Also, fans who think USD game will sellout are delusional. The crow at that game this past year was bad. Our rivalry is with NDSU now not the Yotes. Now the biggest thing is to beat them in Brookings this year and get the Dakota Marker back home.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                  There is so much difference in this post and saying you will have Montana like support. So, so much difference.
                  You may remain disappointed. I still think we can reach Montana-like crowd support in the very near term when the stadium is completed. The game-day experience will be unique for the region. It would surprise me if you actually agreed with much of the discussion on this board. So, take your shots but in the meantime, our trendline should continue and, really, not much of what either of us writes on a message board will have any impact on the trend. The numbers speak for themselves and the new facilities are having a dramatic impact and will continue to have that impact.

Since message board predictions seem to upset our yellow-clad visitor, try this one on: The Dakota Marker won't make the bus ride back to Fargo this fall.

Oh, and hops are easy to grow. I planted Cascade, a common variety. They're a tough plant, very winter hardy and take minimal care.
                  Last edited by JackJD; 07-30-2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

You may remain disappointed. I still think we can reach Montana-like crowd support in the very near term when the stadium is completed. The game-day experience will be unique for the region. It would surprise me if you actually agreed with much of the discussion on this board. So, take your shots but in the meantime, our trendline should continue and, really, not much of what either of us writes on a message board will have any impact on the trend. The numbers speak for themselves and the new facilities are having a dramatic impact and will continue to have that impact.

Since message board predictions seem to upset our yellow-clad visitor, try this one on: The Dakota Marker won't make the bus ride back to Fargo this fall.

Oh, and hops are easy to grow. I planted Cascade, a common variety. They're a tough plant, very winter hardy and take minimal care.
                    Please keep posting on this subject...such good material! hahahaha. I've been to the Jackrabbit tailgate. You have nowhere to go but up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      For some of your fellow citizens of SF, a trip to Renner is a budget buster. They are cheap no doubt about it,
                      Must spread rep.....

Comment

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
                        Easy Nidaros. I'm a SF fan and I make it to every home game plus as many away games as possible including all the FBS games, but it is true. The SF fan base needs to do a better job of making an exodus north on Saturdays for games. Also, fans who think USD game will sellout are delusional. The crow at that game this past year was bad. Our rivalry is with NDSU now not the Yotes. Now the biggest thing is to beat them in Brookings this year and get the Dakota Marker back home.
                        USD will never do anything until they implode that absolute abomination they call a dome. It is horrible and something needs to be done about it, or get them out of the MVFC. It makes me embarrassed as a SD tax payer.

Comment

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
                          Oh so you make the big trip to Renner now and then. Just having fun! Renner has a meat shop that makes roloplosa a Norwegian meat roll. It s hard to find, Renner has it. I do appreciate your faithful attendance. There some of your fellow citizens who never leave the city limits.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 07-31-2015, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Oh, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun to make a wise crack when somebody posts something like you did. As far as fan support, I don't know if Montana can be topped. NDSU travels extremely well...but I can't say we travel better than Montana...not familiar enough. I do know they have a significantly bigger stadium and they do not have trouble getting it pretty full. I believe they have the top spot for regular season attendance. Their tailgating is right at the top. Now you come along and think a new stadium is going to all of a sudden make you guys the top of the league in support? If you had a hunting range on one side and a fishing pond on the other (the cheerleaders can still graze before, after, and halftime) on the field. Maybe then you would get big support. We will see where your attendance is in November (and December*).

I think your last point about attendance in November and December is key. The winter games at Coughlin were just nasty, impossible to stay warm without being completely uncomfortable. I hope the new stadium is better in terms of blocking wind with the more enclosed design, but if not, it will be impossible to completely fill that stadium on a negative degree day. We aren't the packers. I thought it would have been smart to build an indoor stadium in our climate (I thought that about the Twins baseball stadium too), but money always gets in the way. I feel like with an indoor stadium, our attendance is similar to that of NDSU's. This year's schedule worked out nicely with no really late home games, but unfortunately that is not the case every year.

Comment

Please keep posting on this subject...such good material! hahahaha. I've been to the Jackrabbit tailgate. You have nowhere to go but up.
                              I see weve struck a nerve.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                I think your last point about attendance in November and December is key. The winter games at Coughlin were just nasty, impossible to stay warm without being completely uncomfortable. I hope the new stadium is better in terms of blocking wind with the more enclosed design, but if not, it will be impossible to completely fill that stadium on a negative degree day. We aren't the packers. I thought it would have been smart to build an indoor stadium in our climate (I thought that about the Twins baseball stadium too), but money always gets in the way. I feel like with an indoor stadium, our attendance is similar to that of NDSU's. This year's schedule worked out nicely with no really late home games, but unfortunately that is not the case every year.
                                Games are better outside...no doubt about it. I'd be at a game no matter the weather...I love a game in horrible weather. But, that is not the feeling of many fans...especially for those with families. Our attendance did not get crazy either until the product on the field got to where it is. SDSU has built up the program and is continuing to make improvements...but the winning will have to continue as well...and who knows what SDSU's team will be like this year...big shoes to fill.

As far as tailgating, I haven't seen where SDSU has done much to promote it and make it a gameday experience. Maybe there are things I haven't seen (could easily be), but I just don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                                X