Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Recruiting List

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    Another thought is we got the guy we wanted at the same position and the other kid didn't have the full ride or whatever percentage spot left. FCS recruiting is so much different than FBS due to division of scholarships. Impossible to know unless the coaches are going to tell us. We have a ton of OL and DL recruits committed. We can't have open spots for all the offers we had out if other players snatched the up. I also think our camps played a bigger role this year than ever in offers.

I do know USD is really trying to sell the business school as a draw for academics during recruiting.
    I think this is accurate. We had far more early offers this year and it seems like much more offers in general. This leads to more kids holding an offer for SDSU that may not be available anymore or at a much smaller amount.

Comment

New verbal?

https://twitter.com/thereal__tyler/s...07874282790912
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        We had him verballing this past August.

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Looks like we got a verbal last night from Tyler DeMatra, CB/WR from Flossmore, IL. His tweet was Retweeted and liked by a number of coaches so I think it is legit.

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4380642/...1ddc1b0074378a

Tweet: https://twitter.com/DemartraTyler/st...77996734365697

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          We had him verballing this past August.
          Aha.

Maybe looks like he was just reconfirming his verbal with the tweet tonight.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            Another thought is we got the guy we wanted at the same position and the other kid didn't have the full ride or whatever percentage spot left. FCS recruiting is so much different than FBS due to division of scholarships. Impossible to know unless the coaches are going to tell us. We have a ton of OL and DL recruits committed. We can't have open spots for all the offers we had out if other players snatched the up. I also think our camps played a bigger role this year than ever in offers.

I do know USD is really trying to sell the business school as a draw for academics during recruiting.
            A convenient theory, however, the timing of offers, commits, subsequent offers to common positions and ongoing recruiting activity would not fully support it. An easy example is Jack Koerner's commitment to USD coinciding with SDSU deciding to offer Alex Spillum. I have little doubt that there are a cases that your theory could be true, but as a blanket statement, it doesn't hold water. Darion Bolden at RB/ATH and Luke Chuol and Nathan Schultz at DE would be other examples. I would argue that Tyler Ciurej would be another, but I can see counters to that one.

It is in no way a knock on SDSU, it is just a reflection of the fact that the staff at USD now is light years better than what it has been in the past. Kids see the trajectory. They know the staff's plan. They have seen the plans for the renovation of the Dome that will commence shortly. Without a doubt, early playing time on both lines is available (it doesn't take a rocket scientist is know that 3/4 spots on the DL are up for grabs). Things like that sell.

Comment

One more to add @gopherhole. I wish out list was as comprehensive as yours. It is a great resource to rely upon. Thanks for the work you do.

https://twitter.com/CRKFootball/stat...71950560702464

@crkfootball Congrats to Jackson Coker on his commitment to play football at U of South Dakota! Roll COUGS!

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
                A convenient theory, however, the timing of offers, commits, subsequent offers to common positions and ongoing recruiting activity would not fully support it. An easy example is Jack Koerner's commitment to USD coinciding with SDSU deciding to offer Alex Spillum. I have little doubt that there are a cases that your theory could be true, but as a blanket statement, it doesn't hold water. Darion Bolden at RB/ATH and Luke Chuol and Nathan Schultz at DE would be other examples. I would argue that Tyler Ciurej would be another, but I can see counters to that one.

It is in no way a knock on SDSU, it is just a reflection of the fact that the staff at USD now is light years better than what it has been in the past. Kids see the trajectory. They know the staff's plan. They have seen the plans for the renovation of the Dome that will commence shortly. Without a doubt, early playing time on both lines is available (it doesn't take a rocket scientist is know that 3/4 spots on the DL are up for grabs). Things like that sell.
                I think you can switch in any school for the names used and we would have situations like the one I described. That was the overall point. It wasn't meant to be taken as specific to any certain recruit, just that what I described does occur.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

One more to add @gopherhole. I wish out list was as comprehensive as yours. It is a great resource to rely upon. Thanks for the work you do.

https://twitter.com/CRKFootball/stat...71950560702464

@crkfootball Congrats to Jackson Coker on his commitment to play football at U of South Dakota! Roll COUGS!
                  This is good example where it's likely that USD didn't "win" a recruiting battle with SDSU, even though we at one time had offered Coker. SDSU currently has 3 DT commits for 2017, so we likely were no longer an option for Coker or his offer may not still have been available.

With SDSU now offering so many players of the same position, I wonder if they vary scholarship $$ by top priority or if they leave it to first come, first serve.

Comment

First come, first serve would be one way to press for a kids commitment. "Hey, we want you to commit but if you don't decide by (insert date) then we are going to offer the same scholarship to another kid at your position. And I have a pretty good feeling this other recruit will pull the trigger fast as he's been waiting for an offer from us."

Comment

• 2017 Recruiting List

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                      This is good example where it's likely that USD didn't "win" a recruiting battle with SDSU, even though we at one time had offered Coker. SDSU currently has 3 DT commits for 2017, so we likely were no longer an option for Coker or his offer may not still have been available.

With SDSU now offering so many players of the same position, I wonder if they vary scholarship $$ by top priority or if they leave it to first come, first serve.
                      Maybe, if that is where he is going (DT). Your board shows him as a DE, as do most sites. I would personally agree he projects as a DT. SDSU has several open offers out to DE prospects still, so I would say that is open for debate.

For what it is worth, he has family ties to Vermillion and, I believe, also USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                        First come, first serve would be one way to press for a kids commitment. "Hey, we want you to commit but if you don't decide by (insert date) then we are going to offer the same scholarship to another kid at your position. And I have a pretty good feeling this other recruit will pull the trigger fast as he's been waiting for an offer from us."
                        I can verify that our staff is already utilizing this technique for "standard" recruits although I think that's fairly standard practice.

Obviously, you always hold/make a spot for those "elite" prospects that are potential program-changers.

Comment

Here is a recent DE offer (Dec 19):

https://twitter.com/Dylan_Boles_/sta...34498884308993

Appears to have been offered by WIU the same day.

Comment

Verbal from Alex Wickersham, DB Brandon Valley.
                            https://www.hudl.com/profile/2782010/alex-wickersham

@Alex_Wckersham Excited and blessed to announce that I will be furthering my education and football career at South Dakota State University!���� #JackedUp

Comment

Kendrick Green, OL out of Illinois verbals to Illinois.

Comment

Maybe, if that is where he is going (DT). Your board shows him as a DE, as do most sites. I would personally agree he projects as a DT. SDSU has several open offers out to DE prospects still, so I would say that is open for debate.

For what it is worth, he has family ties to Vermillion and, I believe, also USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Rivals has him at 6'3", 265 and as a DT. If you watch his HUDL film, there is no way that kid is playing DE unless it's as a 3-4 end. He looks like more of a offensive guard prospect to me.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/52128

Comment

Working...
                                X