Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU vs. KU

72 days...

... and I'm already thinking how we match up against the Jayhawks.

Comment

This Jayhawk team is easily the worst team from a Power5 conference that we've played since moving up to D1. Charlie Weis left the cupboard very bare with the failed attempt at building a team with juco players. We have some questions after losing legends at QB-RB-WR, but we have some depth, KU doesn't. Here is a breakdown of the Jayhawks offense.

New coach/new offense: Coach David Beaty is installing a new offense with a very depleted roster. The Air Raid offense relies on spreading out 4 WRs and a RB in a shotgun formation. Their RB and top returning WR were both booted from the team. Nobody on this year's roster caught more than 8 passes. Yikes!

QB: If you are installing a new offense, at least you have a returning QB who has taken meaningful snaps. Michael Cummings returns for his senior campaign. At 5'10", he is small in stature - however, he was the team's co-Offensive MVP from last year's squad. He started the last 7 games and had a streak of 5 consecutive games of throwing for 235 yards or more per game. Against TCU he threw for 332 yards with 2 TDs and 1 interception in a 34-30 loss. That TCU team felt they were snubbed when Ohio State and Baylor were selected ahead of them for the national semi-finals. They also have depth at this position with Montell Cozart, who started the first 5 games last year.

RB: Kansas was an awful rushing team last year, and their leading rusher was sent packing. De'Andre Mann returns for his senior campaign. At 5'9" and 205 lbs, him and Cummings may make up the smallest backfield in FBS football. Mann was the second leading rusher last year with 380 yards at 4.7 yards per carry. He was regarded as one of the top JC running backs when he signed with the Jayhawks, so there is potential.

WR: The Jayhawks lost their top 4 returning receivers to graduation - non of them were anything special. The group averaged from 16 to 45 yards/game respectively. They were hoping that one of their top WR's from 2013 would provide a spark, but he was removed from the team earlier this month. I guess they try to see how successful they were in recruiting this last year with 4 incoming freshmen and a group of untested upperclassmen.

TE: They graduated not only their top TE from last year's squad, he led all Jayhawks in receptions and yards. While he was good, he was not a great TE, the bar was not very high last year for receivers at Kansas. Ben Johnson returns for his sophomore season after playing in all 12 games last year. He had 8 catches for 80 yards last year.

OL: Graduated 3 starters from last year's season ending depth chart. Larry Mazyk is a massive 6'8" 343 lb. right tackle who was highly rated coming out of high school. He had 9 starts and played in all 12 games last year. Joe Gibson started the last 7 games as a redshirt freshman at center. Three other returning linemen had part-time starts last year, so there is potential on the line.

The defense returns just 3 starters from a squad that gave up 33.3 points per game last year. You'd think the only place you can do is improve from last year, but this could be a rough year for the Jayhawks.

I hope that we take the same strategy we took to Lincoln the first time we played the Huskers. Simple game plan of running the ball while giving Lujan, or whomever starts at QB, shorter passing downs. Control the ball and build confidence. We are not expected to win down there (at least I have not seen Vegas' line), so put the pressure on them. I think we could win our first game against an FBS opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
        This Jayhawk team is easily the worst team from a Power5 conference that we've played since moving up to D1. Charlie Weis left the cupboard very bare with the failed attempt at building a team with juco players. We have some questions after losing legends at QB-RB-WR, but we have some depth, KU doesn't. Here is a breakdown of the Jayhawks offense.

New coach/new offense: Coach David Beaty is installing a new offense with a very depleted roster. The Air Raid offense relies on spreading out 4 WRs and a RB in a shotgun formation. Their RB and top returning WR were both booted from the team. Nobody on this year's roster caught more than 8 passes. Yikes!

QB: If you are installing a new offense, at least you have a returning QB who has taken meaningful snaps. Michael Cummings returns for his senior campaign. At 5'10", he is small in stature - however, he was the team's co-Offensive MVP from last year's squad. He started the last 7 games and had a streak of 5 consecutive games of throwing for 235 yards or more per game. Against TCU he threw for 332 yards with 2 TDs and 1 interception in a 34-30 loss. That TCU team felt they were snubbed when Ohio State and Baylor were selected ahead of them for the national semi-finals. They also have depth at this position with Montell Cozart, who started the first 5 games last year.
        Cummings sustained a left knee injury in the spring game that required surgery...
        Last edited by jacks1; 06-25-2015, 03:47 PM. Reason: clarification
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

This will be the Jacks best chance, to date, of beating a FBS team. Their scholarship player numbers are very thin.
          http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...e26998060.html

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            This will be the Jacks best chance, to date, of beating a FBS team. Their scholarship player numbers are very thin.
            We best not piss this down our leg. I bleed Yellow called it right. This article bears out this point.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              Who's in? Where you staying this time? When you leaving? Ride sharing? Tailgating?

100 days my friends, GET JACKED (up)!
              Leaving Fri after work. Staying at Quality Inn. Heading to KC after game on Sat to catch Royals/White Sox. Back home on Sunday with Monday to recover. Solid weekend.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

FWIW, KU is favored by 61/2 -120

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  And we also have quite a few questions that have yet to be answered. The tone of this thread seems like some are almost expecting a win. We are playing an FBS team and trying to replace the best running back in program history, a four year starter QB as well as one of our best receivers ever. A win would still be an upset IMO. It might take this team a couple games to find an identity.

Comment

Our group is also leaving on Friday afternoon and staying at the comfort inn in Lawrence. Hope to be to a tailgate lot by 5:55. The alumni association doesn't have anything on their website for a tailgate. Getting excited for Sept now that the Fourth is over. I think this will be the year we get one against FBS. We have talent on D and our offense is going to be better than everyone thinks. Kansas has no depth which is why we've lost these games in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      And we also have quite a few questions that have yet to be answered. The tone of this thread seems like some are almost expecting a win. We are playing an FBS team and trying to replace the best running back in program history, a four year starter QB as well as one of our best receivers ever. A win would still be an upset IMO. It might take this team a couple games to find an identity.
                      With nearly a season of play under his belt, Lujan seems to be our guy who at times looked nearly as capable as Sumer. We have Jake Weneke back at WR though a different guy than TE Schnider, he can make plays and big ones. So I still like our chances better than those of the Jay Hawks.

Comment

An article in the KC Star on Sunday reported that the Jayhawks were down to 64 scholarship players.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          An article in the KC Star on Sunday reported that the Jayhawks were down to 64 scholarship players.
                          I think it is based on the same press release that the posted link to the Wichita Eagle posted by UWM and SDSU.

Comment

I referenced a similar article in post #34.

Comment

I think our chances are much better than they were in 1947 when we went to down there and laid a 86-6 egg.

Comment

Sounds like the Bo Pelini method of self imposed sanctions...

Comment

Working...
                                X