Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pretty shocking NCAA financial numbers for our friends who where red

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    This is correct. I don't have any recent figures but suspect it's still going on. The State pays some of Frost's utilities as well.
    Isn't the rule now that you can't build a new state building without a fund in place for O&M?

Comment

Re: Pretty shocking NCAA financial numbers for our friends who wear red

Where do student fees (directed to athletics) fit into the picture? USD's fees have been historically low compared to SDSU. This will be adjusted over the next 3 years and will eventually add $1.7m per year for USD.

Also, USD's numbers do not include any NCAA revenue sharing as I don't think they have been eligible to date.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Most just don't realize it's just not a great football facility.
        Horrible is a better word, but your point is spot on. Weather is good enough in SD that I hope SDSU takes the football finals and puts a stake in nostalgia for the worst indoor football facility I've ever seen. Honestly, next time someone says they like it, ask them if they've ever been in the Fargodome, or even the old Metrodome. Both are/were vastly superior, and one has been imploded since out of date....that says a lot.

Comment

After reading the argus report from zimmer the thing that jumps out to me is not that usd has a higher percent they a few other schools. They actually receive the most total dollars. Ndsu and sdsu were more in the middle. Other schools got a much higher percentage but their actual dollar amount was much less then usd.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
            Horrible is a better word, but your point is spot on. Weather is good enough in SD that I hope SDSU takes the football finals and puts a stake in nostalgia for the worst indoor football facility I've ever seen. Honestly, next time someone says they like it, ask them if they've ever been in the Fargodome, or even the old Metrodome. Both are/were vastly superior, and one has been imploded since out of date....that says a lot.
            Your right, but you need to see this from the perspective of a bunch of people that were born in raised in a town of less than 1000 people in central SD. The dome is an impressive building to them.

As far as the weather, the temps were extremely cold during this years HS finals. It would have been miserable at an outdoor venue. For the diehard football fan it would have been fine. But, for my mom who is just interested in seeing her grandkids play it would have taken away from the experience they had to play in "the dome".

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
              You trying to tell me the old Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis(home to an NFL football team) is better than the Dakotadome in Vermillion, sd? Get out of town!

AZSod, I believe you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Isn't the rule now that you can't build a new state building without a fund in place for O&M?
                Boy I don't know. Its been 20 years since I was on the Alumni Council. Every now and then we used to get briefed on topics like this. What I do recall was back then the state paid around 27 percent of the utilities and the rest came from the budgets of depts. using the building.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfingYote View Post
                  You trying to tell me the old Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis(home to an NFL football team) is better than the Dakotadome in Vermillion, sd? Get out of town!

AZSod, I believe you are correct.
                  No Golfing Yote should open his eyes and take off the red and white glass, he just might slip out the back door. The dome is 30 years old and like CAS was built without the necessary funds to make it a good facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    No Golfing Yote should open his eyes and take off the red and white glass, he just might slip out the back door. The dome is 30 years old and like CAS was built without the necessary funds to make it a good facility.
                    How about 36 yrs old. And it was quite impressive back then. I remember how cool it was to see it from meckling(home of the best chicken anywhere)

Comment

Put in amother permanent grandstand and it's no better or worse than the UNI dome.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        How about 36 yrs old. And it was quite impressive back then. I remember how cool it was to see it from meckling(home of the best chicken anywhere)
                        You are right. It was built 1979. I was thinking 1975.

Comment

Originally posted by Azsod73 View Post
                          Where do student fees (directed to athletics) fit into the picture? USD's fees have been historically low compared to SDSU. This will be adjusted over the next 3 years and will eventually add $1.7m per year for USD.

Also, USD's numbers do not include any NCAA revenue sharing as I don't think they have been eligible to date.
                          It will make your subsidy percentage worse. Subsidy percentage is: (school funds + student fees) / total revenue.

Using your $1.7M number added to the 2014 numbers from USA Today, it would take USD's subsidy percentage to about 74.7%.

Those of you asking about maintenance or utilities coming from the state: Those numbers are barely a blip in the calculation. We're talking 2-3 orders of magnitude in difference. Maintenance or utilities are probably five- or maybe low six-figure numbers. The total subsidy numbers are high seven-figure or low eight-figure. The numbers you're thinking about are rounding errors in the big picture.

We always say our athletic programs lose money. Well, the school funds category are how much they're losing. The money's got to come from somewhere, so it comes from tuition, state general funds, discretionary funds like exclusive food contracts, etc. (Say Pepsi pays SDSU a certain amount to be the exclusive beverage in dining centers and throughout campus, that money could be redirected to athletics to help cover the shortfall and would be counted as school funds. But if Pepsi pays a separate amount to be the exclusive beverage at SDSU sporting events, then that money would either go into the "rights/licensing" or the "other" category and not be counted as a subsidy.)

Comment

And just so people don't have to go jumping back and forth through the article, here are the three big numbers for the Dakota schools:

Total Revenue
                            UND - $23.8M
                            NDSU - $20.7M
                            SDSU - $15.6M
                            USD - $14.7M

Total Subsidy
                            UND - $13.4M
                            USD - $10.7M
                            SDSU - $8.5M
                            NDSU - $8.0M

% Subsidy
                            USD - 71.9%
                            UND - 56.1%
                            SDSU - 54.5%
                            NDSU - 38.6%

And since student fees were mentioned:
                            UND - $3.1M
                            SDSU - $2.5M
                            USD - $1.5M
                            NDSU - $1.1M

Okay, ticket sales too:
                            UND - $4.3M
                            NDSU - $3.7M
                            SDSU - $1.5M
                            USD - $0.5M

(I'd do UNO as well, but it wouldn't really be fair since they're still transitioning.)

Comment

Okay, so where do the ncaa revenue sharing numbers show up? And, is there any conference $ showing up for some schools and not others (based on eligibility)?

Comment

Originally posted by Azsod73 View Post
                                Okay, so where do the ncaa revenue sharing numbers show up? And, is there any conference $ showing up for some schools and not others (based on eligibility)?
                                Rights/Licensing (non-subsidy)

USD is fully eligible for the lion's share of the money it would get from the NCAA. The only thing you might not be fully getting yet is your share of the basketball revenue. But the amount you may not be getting is probably in the 5-figure range. The Summit got about $1.75 million last year from the basketball pool. UNO probably isn't getting a full share yet since they aren't fully DI yet and have only been in the Summit for a few years. I suspect USD is up to a full share already, and at worst is at 75% of one. Quite frankly, most of what you have yet to get will probably be cancelled out by UNO's increasing share. Maybe Denver as well if they're being phased in over the next year or three. In any case, maybe $50k? Barely a blip.

Comment

Working...
                                X