2015 Cancun Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Cancun Challenge

My friend works for the company that organizes these tourneys. I've gone to the women's in the past. Its a great time in a great place. If you can make it happen I highly recommend it. Triple Crown Sports also organizes the NIT. The people in management really like SDSU and the Jackrabbits. Would be great to see a bunch of you there.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Tournament officials are excited to announce the eight teams selected to compete in the 2015 men’s Cancun Challenge at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya in Mexico.

Playing in the Riviera Division will be Maryland, Illinois State, Rhode Island and TCU. The Mayan Division will feature Cleveland State, Houston Baptist, Rider and South Dakota State. The tournament, which was ranked by Sports Illustrated as one of the top holiday tournaments on the college basketball menu, will feature games in both the United States and Mexico. Maryland reached the third round of the 2015 NCAA Tournament and is expected to be ranked highly going into next season.

“Our staff is thrilled to announce the men’s teams for the 2015 Cancun Challenge. This year’s field from top to bottom will be one of the strongest we have seen in the event,” said tournament director Brent Amick. “That includes the years our Riviera Division champion, Wichita State in 2012 and Wisconsin in 2013, went on to reach the NCAA Final Four. Fans and boosters will have the chance to see their favorite team compete against quality competition at a beautiful oceanfront resort and in an intimate, close-up game setting.”

Four teams are making their second trip to Cancun – Illinois State (2011); Rider (2009), Cleveland State (2009) and South Dakota State (2008). Illinois State is 3-1 overall at the event, with its only loss coming to Illinois in the 2011 Riviera Division championship game, 63-59. In Cleveland State’s other trip, Norris Cole (now playing for the NBA’s New Orleans Pelicans) set a single-game scoring record with 38 points versus Florida A&M.

Three teams in the field – Rhode Island, South Dakota State and Illinois State – played in the 2015 postseason NIT. Cleveland State played in the CIT, and Rider made the CBI field.

All Riviera Division games in Mexico (Nov. 24-25) will be televised by CBS Sports Network; all other games will be broadcast via livestream by YouTube Live. Here’s the entire men’s schedule:

Nov. 19 – Houston Baptist at TCU; South Dakota State at Illinois State

Nov. 20 – Rider at Maryland

Nov. 21 – Cleveland State at Rhode Island

Nov. 24 – Mayan Division: South Dakota State vs. Houston Baptist; Rider vs. Cleveland State

Nov. 24 – Riviera Division: TCU vs. Rhode Island; Illinois State vs. Maryland

Nov. 25 – Mayan Division: Third-place and Championship games

Nov. 25 – Riviera Division: Third-place and Championship games

Nov. 28 – Cleveland State at Maryland
    Nov. 29 – Rider at Rhode Island

The Cancun Challenge is one of the most unique basketball events held each year. Teams stay and play at the all-inclusive Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya; the resort's convention center ballroom is converted into a basketball arena, providing fans a special close-up view of the games. Upon arrival, teams and fans are treated to a spectacular all-inclusive rock star vacation with games, practices, unlimited dining and drinks, world class entertainment, and fun all in one location. Previous champions include Vanderbilt (2008), Kentucky (2009), Missouri (2010), Illinois (2011), Wichita State (2012), Wisconsin (2013) and Northern Iowa (2014).
    “Proving to be a smashing success last year, we are thrilled to once again host the Cancun Challenge at Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya,” said Frank Maduro, Vice President of Marketing for All Inclusive Collection. “This one-of-a-kind basketball event offers the players and fans an authentic experience that rocks, both on and off the court.”

Located just off the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya offers the ultimate vacation for guests of all ages with both the adults-only and family friendly resort experiences. With a combined 1,264 ultra-posh and lavishly appointed guestrooms boasting balcony, terrace views or new, expansive sky terrace options with picturesque views, hydro tubs in each room, world-class shopping and endless style, Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya is nothing short of the ultimate crowd-pleaser. Complete with expansive outdoor pools and private beach, this all-inclusive escape offers nine world-class restaurants, eight bars and lounges, in addition to 88,915 square feet of state-of-the-art meeting and event space ideal for elegant banquets, themed parties, weddings, concerts, and more.

Seating is limited for this exclusive event, and all fans should book land travel packages through Triple Crown Sports for admission into games in Mexico. Travel packages are the only way to guarantee admission to games at this time. For travel package information, contact Sarah Sullivan at 970-672-0533 or by email at sarah@triplecrownsports.com, or visit the website at www.cancunchallenge.net.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: 2015 Cancun Challenge

That sounds like a blast!!! With a quick look at rates - $164/night for a double occupancy king bed. I have not checked out airlines yet, but I've got to see if my wife would like to do this for our anniversary!

Rooms & Rates for Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya All-InclusiveTravel: Nov 18 - 24, 2015 (6 nights) | 2 Adults | 1 Room | Change Your Search

48-Hour Sale!

$164Per Guest NightlyBook It for $20 Down with PayDelay®
    You Save $310!
    Total Savings for 2 GuestsBest Rate Guaranteed

Includes: All Inclusive
    SELECT

Deluxe Gold King Bed - All-Inclusive
    Consider this room your all-­‐access pass to club awesome. So kick things off in style and never look back with:

• One king bed, a hot tub and complimentary Wi-­‐Fi
    • A private balcony, hammock and personal liquor dispenser
    • Minibar with soda, bottled water, juices, domestic beer and an in-­‐room bottle of wine
    • Rock Spa® bath amenities, bathrobes and slippers
    • 24-­‐hour room service and a flat screen satellite TV
    • Laptop-­‐sized digital safe, coffee maker, telephone, alarm clock, hair dryer, iron, ironing board and individually controlled AC

View: Garden View
    Max Occupancy: Up to 2 guests including children. 482 sq. ft., 44.8 m2

Comment

Is anyone thinking of going ot this? I was seriously thinking of going but airfare is a bit high right now. What is the best time to book airfare? We went to the Cancun Challenge the first time the SDSU Women went and it was a BLAST!!

Comment

I am seriously considering, but it depends on how well the next two months of work go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

We committed early to the Paradise Jam in St. Thomas, VI for the women's tournament. Wish we could do both, as we have really enjoyed the Cancun trips as well...but we decided to return to St. Thomas, where we also had a blast a number of years ago (when we saw the Jackrabbit women beat the University of Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan 93 View Post
            Is anyone thinking of going ot this? I was seriously thinking of going but airfare is a bit high right now. What is the best time to book airfare? We went to the Cancun Challenge the first time the SDSU Women went and it was a BLAST!!
            This is where I'm at. Planning to bring the whole family. Resort price is fair but airline tickets are expensive right now. Keeping my eyes on them every day.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

JackMD:
              That is where my wife and I are sitting as well. Looking at SF,MSP, and OMA. Found some out of MSP for about $490 per person but flight times are not ideal. Keep me posted if you see something good.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan 93 View Post
                JackMD:
                That is where my wife and I are sitting as well. Looking at SF,MSP, and OMA. Found some out of MSP for about $490 per person but flight times are not ideal. Keep me posted if you see something good.
                Exactly. The only reasonably priced flights include a 7 hour layover......no thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X