Argus Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Leader

The Argus has an introductory offer, $0.99 per week for thirteen weeks for the on line addition.

I have enjoyed it for the SDSU news and the availability to print the crossword and sudoku puzzles 6 days a week. The bad news is, about the time fall camp starts the price goes up to the regular $9.00 per month or about $2.10 per week. Still a bargain IMO.

Re: Argus Leader

I was at a meeting today and asked the executive editor of the Argus Leader if they still planned to hire a full time SDSU beat writer whether it was Matt Zealand or some one else. The answer was yes. I have enjoyed Matt and whether it is Matt or someone else it is good to know they are working toward a full time person.

Comment

Zealand -- someone new or that should be Zimmer?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Zealand -- someone new or that should be Zimmer?
        autocorrect most likely

Matt Zealand: An island nation off the coast of Australia which is known for producing newspaper sportswriters.

Comment

It's is Zimmer

Spell check must have got me!

Comment

I think we all knew u meant Zimmer.

Comment

Zimmer said on his recent blog they'd be hiring a full time SDSU writer soon (and he's not sure if it'll be him). I think who they hire will be very important for State athletics. Terry was exceptional for SDSU.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

The unofficial word is that Zimmer will be the man. The new hire will cover Augie and USF.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  The unofficial word is that Zimmer will be the man. The new hire will cover Augie and USF.
                  Am I alone in not being completely happy about this if true? I have not enjoyed Zimmer thus far. Maybe it is due to him being so busy, but I think his coverage is lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    Am I alone in not being completely happy about this if true? I have not enjoyed Zimmer thus far. Maybe it is due to him being so busy, but I think his coverage is lacking.
                    His grace period is about over with me also. I'll cut him a little more slack (if he is the guy) to see how he does if SDSU ends up being his sole beat.
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I haven't enjoyed the lack of coverage, but my mind won't be made up on Zimmer until he no longer is focusing on three schools.
                      "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                        I haven't enjoyed the lack of coverage, but my mind won't be made up on Zimmer until he no longer is focusing on three schools.
                        I'm not just talking about his coverage lacking in quantity, but quality as well. It could be that I just don't like his style, it's just so matter of fact, no personality.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          I will only be disappointed if Zimmer is MIA on recruiting. It's an important part of DI athletics, and I got the sense he didn't find it as important as he should. Hopefully that perception is proven wrong once he is focused on just 1 school.

To reiterate, I enjoy Matt's writing style. Hope he has the content to match it.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

If I remember correctly, most of the time recruits, coaches, or others contacted TV about their committing to SDSU or other schools. Maybe Zimmer will have the people will contact him if they know he's the beat writer. I say don't pre judge til he's in the job and it's his only responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
                              If I remember correctly, most of the time recruits, coaches, or others contacted TV about their committing to SDSU or other schools. Maybe Zimmer will have the people will contact him if they know he's the beat writer. I say don't pre judge til he's in the job and it's his only responsibility.
                              TV was just more dedicated and enjoyed recruiting process by pursuing social media, phone call to coaches etc. It's work and Zimmer by his own admission doesn't enjoy tracking and monitoring the recruiting game. I have to admit I'm much less engaged on a regular basis with SDSU and the Argus since Terry V. left. I will reserve judgement on whomever is the new exclusive beat writer, but like Zach Zenner and Nate Wolters were unique talents that we may not see again I hold Terry in that same regard. I'm sure whoever it is they will bring their own hot buttons and attributes to the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X