Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another UND controversy

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    The Champion Club is the same as the Jackrabbit Club. The Difference Makers has a special purpose in raising additional funds for one sport, football. I am guessing that at 100k was raised last year that paid salaries for an assistant and a Operations person such as Kado Watson. I looked at UND site and found no special fund raising. In fact I tend to believe giving is not at the level it was 2001 when they won the D2 championship in football. The politics of monker has torn the community apart. Hammersmith and Fargo Bison are basically correct in their comments.
    Maybe re-joining Morningside is an option for UND!! (We're still in smack, right?)

Comment

From the Grand Forks Herald -- scroll down just a little to see a story about opposition to selecting a new nickname for UND:

http://www.inforum.com/news/3734426-...e-still-strong

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        From the Grand Forks Herald -- scroll down just a little to see a story about opposition to selecting a new nickname for UND:

http://www.inforum.com/news/3734426-...e-still-strong
        Reints said as a working student enrolled in 18 credits, he feels no other logo can represent the struggles he deals with or give him the confidence to face them head on.
        "To me, I feel like I'm a Fighting Sioux," he said. "I'm working my butt off to get somewhere."

Good grief.

Comment

The big winner in all this is NDSU. Do the hard-core fans of the Fghting Sioux name realize how inflexible and small-minded they are making UND look to the rest of the region? An old nickname sure is a silly cause to soil your undies over.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Reints said as a working student enrolled in 18 credits, he feels no other logo can represent the struggles he deals with or give him the confidence to face them head on.
            "To me, I feel like I'm a Fighting Sioux," he said. "I'm working my butt off to get somewhere."

Good grief.

Sounds like a scripted "Fighting Sioux Central" message. How many college diplomas have the name of their sports mascots on them? Guess that "Cultural Sensitivity101" is still not in the course listing, but then the NFL has nothing to say, either. "That's the way it's always been", has always been the largest stumbling block.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post

Good grief.

This might be the worst/stupidest thing I've ever read. I can't fathom the level of delusion one must experience to compare taking 18 credits in college to the plight of Native Americans. Just, wow.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                This might be the worst/stupidest thing I've ever read. I can't fathom the level of delusion one must experience to compare taking 18 credits in college to the plight of Native Americans. Just, wow.
                Double WOW. A fine university is really going backwards into non-existence.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  We deal with it every day. It peaks every year in Late March/Early April when UND makes the NCAA hockey tourney and chokes away a game to either a D3 school or one with half the budget. Next year the Bison vs UND game will be bad, the only nice thing is tailgate spots are already sold out for the year so not many UND fans will be able to come. Granted most UND football fans are the rational ones who want the nickname gone, but they are still UND fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    The big winner in all this is NDSU. Do the hard-core fans of the Fghting Sioux name realize how inflexible and small-minded they are making UND look to the rest of the region? An old nickname sure is a silly cause to soil your undies over.
                    Like USD vs SDSU, there is no love lost between UND and NDSU. There are no doubt some UND alums and fans that want to move on, but I doubt their loyalty has moved south 75 miles. These people have probably closed their pocket books and in that sense NDSU benefited. If SDSU dropped football, how many of us would become Yote fans?

Comment

The Champion Club is the same as the Jackrabbit Club. The Difference Makers has a special purpose in raising additional funds for one sport, football. I am guessing that at 100k was raised last year and that amount paid salaries for an assistant and a Operations person such as Kado Watson. I looked at UND site and found no special fund raising. In fact I tend to believe giving is not at the level it was 2001 when they won the D2 championship in football. The politics of monker has torn the community apart. Hammersmith and Fargo Bison are basically correct in their comments.
                      Champions Club has increased in giving since the DI move, but nothing like at NDSU. I don't know how you guys have done, so I won't try to speak for you. UND has faced a failure due to success since the DI move. Prior to our DI move(late-90s/early-00s), UND revamped their fundraising efforts into a rather fantastic machine. Extremely professional and successful. The downside was that they were near their max capacity even before they decided to move up. Since then, they've had modest increases every year, but tuition inflation cuts into a bunch of that. They're just not making all that much headway. And remember that the vast, vast bulk of their fundraising money comes from hockey.

Contrast to NDSU. Team Makers was run very poorly prior to the DI move. It was much more of a "club" mentality than an effective fundraising apparatus. The DI move forced that to change. It's still not perfect today, but it's loads and loads better. I think you guys have more in common with us than UND.

Some numbers
                      UND prior to DI: $1.9M/year
                      UND today: $2.8M/year

NDSU prior to DI: $650k/year
                      NDSU today: $3.4M/year

Comment

Like USD vs SDSU, there is no love lost between UND and NDSU. There are no doubt some UND alums and fans that want to move on, but I doubt their loyalty has moved south 75 miles. These people have probably closed their pocket books and in that sense NDSU benefited. If SDSU dropped football, how many of us would become Yote fans?
                        Two distinct groups of fans:

1. UND sports fans
                        2. Fighting Sioux hockey fans

That says it all.

Comment

I would say we are getting closer to 100%. UND does not have a Difference Makers Club, like we have got at SDSU. The money raised by the DMC has paid for the extra football assistants.

We are fully funded in football and most of the sports. There are some of the minor sports that might not be 100 per cent, but nothing like UND. You got to remember hockey is god at UND and some of those nitwits just don't get it about the nickname. Hammersmith's post covered it pretty good. There is politics involved too.
                          I'd guess you guys are fairly close to 100% in women's sports. Maybe somewhere between 90-100% Men's sports are funded to a lesser extent. Maybe 80-90%. These are very rough estimates based on Equity in Athletics info compared to max possible scholarships compared to average tuition costs. Since there's no way to know the breakdown of SD residents to MN residents to non-residents on scholarship, there's a fair amount of guesswork involved. Take it with a big grain of salt. NDSU appears to be around 95% overall. UND seems to be at the bottom end of your range; 90% women's, 80% men's. Things get ugly when you take hockey, football and basketball out of the men's total; the rest of the men's sports seem to be funded at about 50%. Again, big grain of salt.

Comment

Thanks Hammersmith, I was shooting from the hip when I spoke of UND Championship Club without any facts or figures. You can tell their is a lower moral than before the controversy started, but how much? That might not be measureable. I think you are right on the numbers for SDSU as that is what I believe to be correct. Their hockey program does not seem to be such a big deal now that all the other Dakotas are D1.

Comment

Need a nice laugh?

http://und.edu/nickname/non-consideration-list.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                                No I am doing fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X