Omaha series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Omaha series

Isn't there a new ball being used in college baseball this year that is meant to increase run scoring? I wonder how much of a difference that has made vs. how much better the Jacks are. I'm assuming it's a combination of the two.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      From Matt Zimmer's Twitter:
      "The Omaha CF'er that let Zach Coppola's single slip under his glove for a game-ending error today? Former LHS QB Alex Schultz (sorry, Alex)."

Also from Zimmer's Twitter:
      "With 12 runs today, @GoJacksBaseball has scored 272 runs, equaling their total from last year in 19 fewer games."

My editorial comment: Matt Z's doing a good job with his coverage of the Jackrabbits and I appreciate his extra comments to fill in some detail.
      Zimmer is big baseball fan so will see little more coverage in this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Isn't there a new ball being used in college baseball this year that is meant to increase run scoring? I wonder how much of a difference that has made vs. how much better the Jacks are. I'm assuming it's a combination of the two.
        I think that's right on both comments (new ball this year & combination of better offense + new ball = more hits compared to last year).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I think that's right on both comments (new ball this year & combination of better offense + new ball = more hits compared to last year).
          Seams are flatter preventing the pitchers from getting as much movement.

Comment

A few years back,the NCAA implemented bat restrictions to limit offense,now ball changes to stimulate offense.I think the NCAA just likes to tinker with things, to exert their influence any way they can.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              A few years back,the NCAA implemented bat restrictions to limit offense,now ball changes to stimulate offense.I think the NCAA just likes to tinker with things, to exert their influence any way they can.
              Sorry, but have to disagree with that thought. The bats were limited because of safety concerns, and that resulted in a big drop in offense, including fewer home runs and easier outs in the outfield. To respond to fans and players who weren't happy with that (including myself), the NCAA, responding to member schools and coaches, approved the flatter seam ball. It has added some excitement back to college baseball IMHO.

Comment

Wow. Just wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Sorry, but have to disagree with that thought. The bats were limited because of safety concerns, and that resulted in a big drop in offense, including fewer home runs and easier outs in the outfield. To respond to fans and players who weren't happy with that (including myself), the NCAA, responding to member schools and coaches, approved the flatter seam ball. It has added some excitement back to college baseball IMHO.
                  Your spot on #1. The drop in offense was enormous when they changed the bats.

If I remember correctly aren't the new balls similar to MLB balls?

Comment

The new balls are similar seam wise to minor league balls. They are still not wound as tightly and thus are not quite as lively as a minor league ball. Major league balls have an even flatter seam and are even more lively than the minor league ball. As for the bats, #1 is right on the money. The change had everything to do with safety concerns and nothing to do with limiting the offense in the game. As a pitcher's parent we were very happy to see that change. Best thing would have been to go to wood bats but the cost is prohibitive and these bats are the next best thing.

Comment

I was aware of the safety issue, and I agree something had to be done , but my over all idea is that changes sometimes bring unforeseen consequences and necessitate more changes. I don't know why they allowed aluminum bats in the first place. Seems too much tinkering with things to get it right when there was nothing wrong in the first place. A case of too little regulation followed by over regulation.I guess the old saying goes "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.And,guess I'm kind of a traditionalist at heart.

Comment

I was aware of the safety issue, and I agree something had to be done , but my over all idea is that changes sometimes bring unforeseen consequences and necessitate more changes. I don't know why they allowed aluminum bats in the first place. Seems too much tinkering with things to get it right when there was nothing wrong in the first place. A case of too little regulation followed by over regulation.I guess the old saying goes "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.And,guess I'm kind of a traditionalist at heart.
                        At first I do believe the change to aluminum was about saving programs money. Then the bat manufactures realized if they designed bats that helped players hit HR's it would help sales with younger players. Many of these bat design changes happened along with the College World Series gaining visibility on TV. Kids would watch the CWS and see some hitter from USC hitting the ball into the seats in Omaha and want that bat. Most universities have bat contracts and the BIG BOYS of the college game also get incentives $ to use their bats. It was amazing to me when we left a recent Rabbits game and my son asked "Why does SDSU use Rawlings bats and not Easton?" I guarantee if they had a wood bat in their hand my son would've never noticed the brand. $$$$$$

In my opinion wood bats should be used in college baseball......

Go Rabbits!

Comment

This could quite possibly be the most ridiculous things I've EVER read on this site.

Lets see.

Gee, you college baseball players you've had it your way too long. All these homers you get to hit make us (the NCAA) look bad. We need to do something about that. We cant have you showing us up! We are gonna force the use of bats that make it nearly impossible to get a hit. Why you ask? Because we can.

Sounds pretty logical huh? According to the quoted post it does.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            This could quite possibly be the most ridiculous things I've EVER read on this site.

Lets see.

Gee, you college baseball players you've had it your way too long. All these homers you get to hit make us (the NCAA) look bad. We need to do something about that. We cant have you showing us up! We are gonna force the use of bats that make it nearly impossible to get a hit. Why you ask? Because we can.

Sounds pretty logical huh? According to the quoted post it does.
                            If you think they do a great job, fine. I might have been a little harsh in my judgment. But, they still tinker too much and seem to have a difficult time coming up with the right solutions a lot of the time. It's like watching someone try and adjust a carburetor by going from one extreme to the other, they never do get it set "just right" JMO

As I've said, I'm kind of a traditionalist, have an aversion to change anyway. Back when I was growing up, there were only wooden bats. Not everyone had the power to hit lots of home runs, that was a given and accepted,the ones that could were known as home run hitters or power hitters and they got intentionally walked a few times, especially with a lot of runners on base. Anyway, to make a long story short, strategy was employed in the game more so than today's game. Some find that type game more interesting and intriguing to watch. I'm in that camp, so I never understood how bats went from wood to aluminum in the first place.

I guess on the other side,they wanted everyone on the team hitting homers, they became more and more common to see, but then the pitchers were put in danger obviously too. The whole problem of seams on the baseballs could have been avoided altogether if they had simply outlawed aluminum bats at the start. Hope I've shed more light on the reason behind my thinking, although I was a little bit harsh on those who make the decisions I guess. Again, just one person's opinion, I'm sure others may think differently.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-22-2015, 03:48 AM.

Comment

If you think they do a great job, fine. I might have been a little harsh in my judgment. But, they still tinker too much and seem to have a difficult time coming up with the right solutions a lot of the time. It's like watching someone try and adjust a carburetor by going from one extreme to the other, they never do get it set "just right" JMO

As I've said, I'm kind of a traditionalist, have an aversion to change anyway. Back when I was growing up, there were only wooden bats. Not everyone had the power to hit lots of home runs, that was a given and accepted,the ones that could were known as home run hitters or power hitters and they got intentionally walked a few times, especially with a lot of runners on base. Anyway, to make a long story short, strategy was employed in the game more so than today's game. Some find that type game more interesting and intriguing to watch. I'm in that camp, so I never understood how bats went from wood to aluminum in the first place.

I guess on the other side,they wanted everyone on the team hitting homers, they became more and more common to see, but then the pitchers were put in danger obviously too. The whole problem of seams on the baseballs could have been avoided altogether if they had simply outlawed aluminum bats at the start. Hope I've shed more light on the reason behind my thinking, although I was a little bit harsh on those who make the decisions I guess. Again, just one person's opinion, I'm sure others may think differently.
                              Seriously? They wanted everyone to hit homers? That's not even close to the case. Composite or aluminum bats are cheaper than wooden bats because they last longer but sure keep thinking it's because the NCAA wanted everyone to hit homers...

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                                Seriously? They wanted everyone to hit homers? That's not even close to the case. Composite or aluminum bats are cheaper than wooden bats because they last longer but sure keep thinking it's because the NCAA wanted everyone to hit homers...
                                They are the ones who implement changes, set the rules. They are the one's who took on the responsibility to govern collegiate sports. Who would you suggest? Can you admit they may have screwed up, and are now trying to fix the things they screwed up. That's what I'd like to know. If you think they handled everything fine, you should have NO problem saying so. If you are so intent on questioning people who doubt their leadership, then give us your reasoning of how well they've preformed. I didn't mean for my two sentence quip to become a raging debate, but as long as it has, I'd appreciate some intellectual honesty and let me know your reasoning for questioning mine. Tell us how perfectly logical this whole sequence of changes has occurred, I'd be interested to hear your explanation.

Yes,what you put in bold was exaggerated,I thought people could handle a little exaggeration from time to time, obviously a miscalculation. I'll just put "not to suggest" in front of an exaggeration and exaggerate anyway. A little trick I've learned reading college forums.
                                Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-22-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X